PDA

View Full Version : hubba hubba

steve hiker
03-11-2004, 21:11
I'm reading Earl Shaffer's account of his 1948 thru-hike, in his book "Walking With Spring." Since Earl Shaffer is believed to be the first person to thru-hike the AT, I think I've stumbled upon the first instance of town people slighting a grungy thru-hiker:

"About noon the trail crossed a road gap, probably the site of Southern's Store, mentioned in early guidebooks, and entered a picnic area near a reservoir. Just then four girls came strolling over a rise ahead. The were identically dressed in snowy blouses and long black 'new look' skirts, a very charming foursome. My T-shirt, grey pants, helter-skelter hair, and sweaty face were definitely not as stylish. They passed quite sedately, but one of them muttered what sounded like 'hubba hubba.'"

MOWGLI
03-11-2004, 23:37
... but one of them muttered what sounded like 'hubba hubba.'"

Actually, I was there, and what she really said was "Whatta Bubba".

Hikerhead
03-12-2004, 00:04
Actually, I was there, and what she really said was "Whatta Bubba".

:p

And Earl said..."Whatta Bubba my thru hiking white butt."

steve hiker
03-12-2004, 00:51
I think I've stumbled upon the first instance of town people slighting a grungy thru-hiker:
You have it all wrong she was commenting on his gear:

http://www.msrcorp.com/tents/hubbahubba.asp

Jaybird
03-12-2004, 08:42
I'm reading Earl Shaffer's account of his 1948 thru-hike, in his book "Walking With Spring." ..........

"About noon the trail crossed a road gap, probably the site of Southern's Store, mentioned in early guidebooks, and entered a picnic area near a reservoir. Just then four girls came strolling over a rise ahead. The were identically dressed in snowy blouses and long black 'new look' skirts, a very charming foursome. My T-shirt, grey pants, helter-skelter hair, and sweaty face were definitely not as stylish. They passed quite sedately, but one of them muttered what sounded like 'hubba hubba.'"

Maybe they muttered "Hubba Bubba" & pointed @ his hair....seeing Shaffer's matted, helter-skelter hair had HUBBA BUBBA bubble gum stuck in it! (www.hubbabubba.ca (http://www.hubbabubba.ca) ) YUCK!!!

Shaffer was known to blow huge bubbles while hikin'! ;)

Toofarafoot
03-12-2004, 09:41
While attending the 95 ATC Conference in VA, I had the pleasure of hiking a portion of the trail in SNP with Gene Espy, the 2nd person to thru-hike the AT; 1951 or 52, I believe. He related some of experiences from that hike, including a stop in a NJ town to have his boots repaired. Well, he was run out of town by authorities put off by his shaggy appearance; they thought he was a "beatnik"!

Toofarafoot

Groucho
03-12-2004, 10:09
From an urbandictionary.com quiz about the meaning of this term:

The worst phrase ever uttered by the "Greatest Generation," meaning something very desireable, such as a beautiful woman, or an indication of approval.

Hubba-hubba, Joe, did you see the wonderful gams on that swell dame? (Presently, anyone caught using hubba-hubba should be flogged & fined.)

------------------------

hubba hubba=hot :banana

steve hiker
03-12-2004, 11:33
From an urbandictionary.com quiz about the meaning of this term: The worst phrase ever uttered by the "Greatest Generation," meaning something very desireable, such as a beautiful woman, or an indication of approval. hubba hubba=hot :banana
Seems you're onto something. I came up with this:

The American Heritage<SUP>®</SUP> Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

hubba-hubba
hub·ba-hub·ba
Slang Used to express approval, pleasure, or excitement.

So Horse With No Name is right, the girl was commenting on his gear.