PDA

View Full Version : the mayors house!

dmb658
09-07-2008, 17:01
I DIDN"T FORGET, but does anyone have the mayors address in unionville, ny!?

the mayor was such a cool dude and was so generous, and he made us promise to send him katahdin pictures! easily one of my favorite places on the trail

pusher

rafe
09-07-2008, 17:09
I sent you the info via PM. (From the business card he handed me in Sept. 2006.) Tell him terrapin said hello... Mr. Ludwick is indeed a kind and generous fellow.

sly dog
09-08-2008, 13:28
When I was there I asked how to send him pictures and he said just address it to Mayor of Unionville, Unionville NY and it will get to his desk.

Doc
05-17-2009, 11:36
Dick is no longer the Mayor, but he is still a great guy, as are his two partners in crime-Bill and Butch. Their place is now called "The Outhouse" and is at 11 Reservoir Ave.,Unionville, N.Y. 10988. I just stayed there and actually "summited" in Unionville as I finished my final section of the AT. This place ranks right up there with other super places like Kincora. They don't even ask for donations although I can't imagine anyone not leaving a very generous contribution. Hopefully there will not be any who take advantage of Dick's hospitality and cause him to rethink his involvement in helping hikers. The small store in town is also very hiker friendly and has ample supplies to get you many days down the trail. This place is not to be missed.

Doc

mooseboy
06-02-2009, 21:02
I'm a section hiker, filling in a gap in NJ that will take me only 3-4 days. Would I be welcome at the mayor's when I pass through, or should I stick to the woods?

tiptoe
06-03-2009, 16:09
I'm a section hiker too, and I was welcome a couple of years ago (shower and laundry), before he offered overnight accommodations.

Kanati
06-03-2009, 16:27
I DIDN"T FORGET, but does anyone have the mayors address in unionville, ny!?

the mayor was such a cool dude and was so generous, and he made us promise to send him katahdin pictures! easily one of my favorite places on the trail

pusher

I also stayed with him last year but he was gone to carry 3 hikers to ME. Bill and Butch took care of us nicely. I gave up my place in the house to some lady and tented on the lawn.

Hey Pusher what are you doing this summer ??

Canada Goose
06-03-2009, 22:38
A few years ago, while on a section from Lehigh Gap PA to Glenwood NJ, I walked into town in a the rain. I popped into the convenience store for snacks, and to get out of the rain. A very friendly person there directed me to the town offices, where I found another very friendly person who suggested I camp next door, on soft grass, in the town park. There was a covered gazebo, and an on-site port-a-john for my exclusive use. This was in the spring, and the flowers were blooming in profusion. The folks I met were interested in me and my hike. My time spent in Unionville remain a most pleasant memory, even to this day.

Ramble~On
11-04-2009, 22:26
Wonderful place and excellent people..top notch.

Sir! :eek:, :rolleyes: University, Sir! :D

"Sir" gets you punched in the arm..and each additional time you call Bill or Butch "Sir" the punches get harder.

5 syllable words will cost you a quarter each!

And then there's the movies:
Anyway....does anyone know how to spell the word that the opera singer sings three times at the end..Dick pronounced it "Vee Sir Rah"...I think.

Dick asked for summit photos with that word on it and I can't figure out how to spell it. I think the word means "victory".

Thanks.

Many Walks
11-04-2009, 23:17
We stayed in the park at Unionville and gave a donation to the city for being so hiker friendly and letting us tent there. After we were already set up the Mayor spotted us going into the store and came in to introduce himself. We thought that was really nice of him.

Bad part is the local kids came out in the evening and were loud and obnoxious in the street till way after midnight. It looked like possible rain so we had moved to the pavilion and about midnight one of the kids took a bike from another and threw it up on the roof of the pavilion. They said they didn't see us and we finally got them to quiet down. The point is, no matter how good the park looks, if there is a better option, as it sounds with the "Outhouse" go there. You'll get a lot more sleep.

As a note about crappy hikers, the local bar served free pizza to their customers, but they were about to quit because hikers have been ordering water and gulping all the free pizza they could eat then they take off without leaving a cent. Seems like some just have to ruin a good thing by thinking only of themselves.

Overall, we looked at the town as a really good stop and would do it again with slight adjustment.

ShelterLeopard
11-05-2009, 00:58
That's not cool- I hate when hikers do things like that.

The Phoenix
11-05-2009, 22:48
these guys (Bill, Dick, and Butch) were amongst the great angels I met on my hike. They went far out of their way to get me when I was comming down with the worst of Lyme's and kept me in their house for 10 days. They were grade A host and the most entertaining folks I met on the trail.

It's the type of place you have to go to before you can understand it... I could write a 5 paragraph easy on these 3 and Shadow... but it wouldn't do justice.

P.S. don't forget to send Bill your beards if you hiked this year!!!

PUNKINPUSS11
11-05-2009, 23:07
ahhhh, i totally forgot about shadow!!!

JoshStover
11-05-2009, 23:35
What town is this? I will have to stop by next year.

Reid
11-05-2009, 23:45
Didn't the mayor in Hot Springs stand outside the voting place and beg people not to vote for him?

timebreaks
11-06-2009, 12:14
The word from the end of "Nessun Dorma" is "vincero", with an accent grave (pointing down from left to right) over the "o". Translates to "I will win".

Love that aria!:)

Many Walks
11-06-2009, 12:35
What town is this? I will have to stop by next year.
Unionville, N.Y.

Nean
11-06-2009, 14:41
Dick is a fine example of one man transforming a town. Unionville was once one of the worst stops on the trail and now, one of the best. Was there a few days ago. Friendly locals and bartender bought me many drinks too!

Ramble~On
11-06-2009, 15:50
The word from the end of "Nessun Dorma" is "vincero", with an accent grave (pointing down from left to right) over the "o". Translates to "I will win".

Love that aria!:)

Thank You! :sun

RiverWarriorPJ
11-06-2009, 16:36
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/1/1/7/the_mayor.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=33751&original=1&c=member&imageuser=11117)

PUNKINPUSS11
11-06-2009, 18:47
niccccccccccccce

mikec
11-06-2009, 22:13
When I sectioned this area back in 03, I thought about staying in Unionville but stayed at the Secret Shelter instead. I read somewhere that the Secret Shelter in NY/NJ is now closed. If this is correct, the Ex-Mayor's House would be the place to go.

BrianLe
08-10-2010, 18:15
Perhaps someone could PM me with the address too? Ditto the promise to send a Katahdin photo, and I can't find the card he gave me ...