PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal breakfist bars (homemade)

Slo-go'en
09-07-2008, 20:19
I hate oatmeal, but I love oatmeal cookies. So, today I thought to try and make oatmeal cookie like breakfist bars. It worked!

I started with the basic oatmeal cookie recipe, but subsituted dried cranberry and spiced apple bits instead of raisens (though adding raisens would still be a good idea) and I added about a 1/4 cup of chopped nuts - pick your favorate kind. Adding peanut butter to the mix might work too.

I baked the batter in a pan at 325 for 25 minutes and it came out just right. Nice loaf I can cut up into bars and individually wrap. They taste great and I think they will be just the thing for my next hiking trip.

Can anyone think of what else could be added to the mix to make it even more harty?

Hammock Hanger
09-07-2008, 20:33
I hate oatmeal, but I love oatmeal cookies. So, today I thought to try and make oatmeal cookie like breakfist bars. It worked!

I started with the basic oatmeal cookie recipe, but subsituted dried cranberry and spiced apple bits instead of raisens (though adding raisens would still be a good idea) and I added about a 1/4 cup of chopped nuts - pick your favorate kind. Adding peanut butter to the mix might work too.

I baked the batter in a pan at 325 for 25 minutes and it came out just right. Nice loaf I can cut up into bars and individually wrap. They taste great and I think they will be just the thing for my next hiking trip.

Can anyone think of what else could be added to the mix to make it even more harty?

Try throwing in some protein powder. They sound good. I often make my own trail bars. I also make small loaves of Pumpkin Bread. == ENJOY ==.

WetBottom
09-07-2008, 20:38
That sounds tasty. Every time I eat trail mix or something I say next time I'm going to make my own.

But I never will.

I'll have to live vicariously through you.

Hoop
09-07-2008, 20:39
I toss in some flax. Dates too.

Dicentra
09-08-2008, 01:00
Wheat germ?