PDA

View Full Version : Best Pizza in the Northeast

torch
03-11-2004, 21:32
:sun I have to throw this in. I have had two section hikes end at NY Rt. 17 near Warwick. The first was the New Jersey section heading north, and near the end, me and my buddy asked a local if there were any good local pizza shops. He told us Franks Pizza on Main St. So we went. Frank himself (actually the son of the original Frank) found out we were hikers and sat down with us for 2 hours talking about the trail, life in general, and life in Warwick, for that matter. We made a point 2 months later when we section-hiked NY to go SOBO so we could end once again at Franks. The minute we walked in the door, Frank yells out, "Hey, our hiker friends are back!"

Next month, when I pick up Twilight after his NY section hike, we are going to Frank's so I can introduce him to the best damn Sicilian style pizza I've ever had. It's been two years, so I doubt Frank will remember me, but even so, the pizza and the wonderful atmosphere made me remember him!

So whether you are thru-hiking or section hiking, hitch a ride to Frank's in Warwick. WELL worth the ride!

MOWGLI
03-11-2004, 22:51
I lived in Warwick for 14 years, and have eaten Franks pizza many many many times. I probably purchased well over 100 pies there.

Frank is a wonderful big old bear of a guy, and he clearly has the best pizza in Warwick. Warwick is a great little town, and it is usually overlooked by hikers. I know Lone Wolf has stayed there, and another Whiteblaze member (Aaron) lives there.

It's a bit of a stretch however to say he's got the best pizza in the NE. I say this, because now that I live in Tennessee, I miss the great pizza places that I was so accustomed to. The pizza is not very good in Tennessee. Heck, maybe I disagree with Torch because I'm partial to thin crust pizza. For that, Kinchleys in Ramsey, NJ can't be beat!

http://www.restaurant-guide-uk.com/restaurants/United_States/NJ/Ramsey/Kinchleys_Tavern954304233.html

On a side note, I took two hikers to Campmor and then Kichleys iin July 2001. I still remember cresting the hill on Route 17 South, and pointing out the Twin Towers to the hikers. They thought that was so cool. When the towers fell, one off the first things I thought about was those two hikers, and how they probably had their first and last glimpse of them on that day.

Anyway, back to the original point of the posting. Frank is awesome! Stop in if you're in the Warwick area. Try his Rice Balls.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2004, 05:41
Yup. Stayed in Warwick for 3 nights back in November of 2000. Had Thanksgiving feast at the old Warwick Inn.

illininagel
03-12-2004, 09:57
Living in Chicago, it is always tough to find "good" pizza away from home. We're known for having some of the best pizza in the world.

But, I'll definitely try Frank's if I'm ever in the area.

:D

funkyfreddy
03-12-2004, 11:06
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be section hiking near there in the spring and will check it out. I always like to support hiker friendly restaurants.

Footslogger
03-12-2004, 15:15
Whitehouse Landing in the 100 Mile Wilderness ...

Pole Climber
12-07-2004, 08:05
I would have to vote for Mr Pizza in Gorham N.H.

RITBlake
12-07-2004, 10:34
It's not on the trail but the best pizza in the country is found in New Haven, CT. Pepe's, Sallys, and Modern Pizza all make amazing pizza. Pepe's is my favorite....pizza cooked on a 200 year old, wood fired, brick oven. yummy.

Mags
12-07-2004, 11:49
Sigh...one of the few things I miss from my home state is good pizza. Here, it is almost all
chain pizza places. Not the litle mom and pop places that truly make great pizza (along with great meatball subs, sausage and peppers....oh my, I'm getting hungry!)

When I was in Duncannon, there was this pizza place that was great! Can't remember the name, but it was really yummy!

Phorestfreak
12-07-2004, 11:56
Right on RITblake. All the Nutmeggers know that the best pie in the country is not in New York or Chicago (although good) but rather found on Wooster street in New Haven, CT. Specifically Frank Pepe's pie are the absolutely stand alone best. Go with the white clam

rocket04
12-07-2004, 12:30
Anybody going through DC can stop at Lost Dog Cafe in Arlington, VA. Damn good pizza.

A-Train
12-07-2004, 13:35
Difara's in Brooklyn NY. No contest really :)

The Solemates
12-07-2004, 13:57
We like Spanky's in Banner Elk, NC. Nothin but grease. :) Of course its not in the NE.

UCONNMike
12-07-2004, 14:54
It's not on the trail but the best pizza in the country is found in New Haven, CT. Pepe's, Sallys, and Modern Pizza all make amazing pizza. Pepe's is my favorite....pizza cooked on a 200 year old, wood fired, brick oven. yummy.
mmm....Pepe's Pizza....hey Blake, we should go over christmas break! Anyone is welcome to join in.

TakeABreak
12-07-2004, 15:27
Well, I have not had pizza at the places mentioned above, but when I get the chance to do another thru hike, I will definitely stop there, for there was one thing I truely missed on my hike and that was really, really good pizza.

I lived in a small community called Ortonville, MI. for 7 years and when I moved there little did I know that there was a place called Poppa Bella's in down town (One literally a once stop light town) (off I-75, gbetween detroit and flint).

Well anyone who ever visited me wanted to get pizza there, I and everyone I know has stated there we have never been able to get pizza as good they have any where else in the world.

So if you are in area, stop in you will be disappointed, you can't sit down but they will give you plates and napkins to go.

Puck
12-15-2004, 14:11
mmm....Pepe's Pizza....hey Blake, we should go over christmas break! Anyone is welcome to join in.
UCONNMike I see that you are in Cheshire. Have you tried Sergio's on rt 10 in Hamden. Just north of the turn of for Sleeping Giant. It is good pie. Not on the scale of Sally's but you don't have to wait in a long line when Yale is in session.

Seraphim
12-15-2004, 15:43

I AM THERE!:clap

Pencil Pusher
12-15-2004, 18:48
New Yohk City. Where else can you get a slice 24/7? And the sub sandwiches in that area, New Jersey too, oh man... to die for. Cannolis... -Homer Simpson drool-

saimyoji
12-15-2004, 18:53
Lehigh Pizza in Bethlehem. Best 'za in the Lehigh Valley.

c.coyle
12-15-2004, 19:53
Difara's in Brooklyn NY. No contest really :)

Mike's. Bedford Park Blvd. in the Bronx. Get the Sicilian pie. :clap

RITBlake
12-15-2004, 21:31
UCONNMike I see that you are in Cheshire. Have you tried Sergio's on rt 10 in Hamden. Just north of the turn of for Sleeping Giant. It is good pie. Not on the scale of Sally's but you don't have to wait in a long line when Yale is in session.

Yah! Sergios is darn good pie w/ out the wait of Pepes or Sallys. I'm a Southie so Sergios is just a mintue down the road. Mike is a Northie so he probably gets Mr. Bs, Pops, or Rossines.....

actually the pizan probably makes his own