PDA

View Full Version : Who uses a sternum strap?

dessertrat
09-08-2008, 09:25
I see these on almost all new packs bigger than day packs. I notice that all of the models in the REI catalogs use them. I notice that in real life, very few people seem to use them. I know one of the first things I do when I get a new pack is cut the stupid thing off.

Who uses it?

minnesotasmith
09-08-2008, 09:29
I see these on almost all new packs bigger than day packs. I notice that all of the models in the REI catalogs use them. I notice that in real life, very few people seem to use them. I know one of the first things I do when I get a new pack is cut the stupid thing off.

Who uses it?

A sternum strap reduces the strain on my arms & shoulders, as they can relax and I don't have to worry about keeping my primary pack straps from sliding off my shoulders. My pack moves around on my body less with them on, which I believe means I waste less energy that way.

Cabin Fever
09-08-2008, 09:36
For me, it helps to have the sternum strap to keep the straps from sliding off the top of my shoulders and putting strain on the shoulder joint instead of being on top of my trapeziuses (sp?).

dessertrat
09-08-2008, 09:39
For me, it helps to have the sternum strap to keep the straps from sliding off the top of my shoulders and putting strain on the shoulder joint instead of being on top of my trapeziuses (sp?).

Hmm. Maybe it's a matter of how one is built, as to whether the sternum strap is helpful. I find that the pack rides the same with or without one, so I get rid of them.

sasquatch2014
09-08-2008, 09:40
There are times that I use the strap. The way my pack is set up the hydration tube holder is built into the strap and slides along he adjustment slot. I find if the terrain is causing my pack to shift more the strap will help hold it a bit closer to my body and so I get less pack wiggle that could cause me to loose balance. I am a bit wide across the chest and so the strap is not the most comfortable thing to use, but it is nice to have.

mudcap
09-08-2008, 09:41
I always use one,very important to me for comfort. I have broad shoulders,without it the straps keep sliding wider making it very uncomfortable.

Ender
09-08-2008, 10:03
I never use one... doesn't help the pack ride any better, and constricts my breathing.

Maybe it's my body type that makes it act this way? I know plenty of others who swear by them, but I can't stand them.

Alligator
09-08-2008, 10:15
I always use one,very important to me for comfort. I have broad shoulders,without it the straps keep sliding wider making it very uncomfortable.I don't think I'm that broad-shouldered but I find that it helps for the same reason.

Cookerhiker
09-08-2008, 10:19
I use it to hold my camera so that it's reaily accessible.

Gumbi
09-08-2008, 10:25
I like to hang my 9" tactical knife upside down from the sternum strap for that quick "tactical draw". JK lol

Many Walks
09-08-2008, 10:37
I'm with Cookerhiker. I have my camera on the sternum strap and it's so accessible I tend to take more pictures. Plus it has some protection from the rain with some cover from my hat and being tucked under my chin.

Homer&Marje
09-08-2008, 10:54
I like to hang my 9" tactical knife upside down from the sternum strap for that quick "tactical draw". JK lol

Couldn't live without it. very broad shoulders so it reduces the amount of shoulder adjustments, and my 12" buck knife hangs from it. zoom in and look at that perfect application of a sternum strap:D

disregard all other parts of picture i.e. beer gut, armpits, and odd style of expressing oneself.

Lyle
09-08-2008, 11:05
I always use mine. Before I started using two hiking poles I would often walk for hours with my thumbs hooked onto the shoulder straps. Now that my hands are no longer free, the sternum strap adds to the secure feeling of the pack. I miss it if I don't fasten it, kinda like driving without a shoulder restraint.

Grumpy
09-08-2008, 11:09
I have carried a pack most of my professional life. I prefer the strap connected though there were some situations which it was not practical. When I was young I did without because I thought I was tough and those who used the strap were weak... my body is very glad I grew out of that stage.

berninbush
09-08-2008, 11:18
A lot may depend on the natural "slope" of your shoulders... whether they are square or rounded toward the ground. Mine slope a LOT. If I don't have a sternum strap and I'm carrying an overnight load, the primary straps tend to slide downward and outward, and I waste a lot of energy re-adjusting them. My load actually feels lighter with a sternum strap because the primary straps stay centered over the strongest part of my shoulders, instead of being at the outer edges of my shoulders where leverage makes things heavier.

BobTheBuilder
09-08-2008, 11:20
My initial response was along the lines of, "Yeah, and I use the hip belt, too" because the question seemed silly. However, reading the responses, I guess some people have a body type that makes the sternum strap unneccesary. Me, I couldn't do without it. Who would have thunk? Pretty good question, after all.

Boudin
09-08-2008, 11:29
I can't stand the sternum strap. It is very uncomfortable for me.

Wolf - 23000
09-08-2008, 11:38
The issue with the sternum straps can be connected to how big a pack someone is carrying. If someone is carrying a medium or large pack the sternum strap can help. If they are traveling ultra light or lightweight it servers little benefit.

Wolf

NICKTHEGREEK
09-08-2008, 11:38

Who uses it?
What was the second thing you did? I use em, My shoulder straps are fairly loose with most pretty much all the weight on the hipbelt so the S.S. keeps things in place

minnesotasmith
09-08-2008, 12:03
The issue with the sternum straps can be connected to how big a pack someone is carrying. If someone is carrying a medium or large pack the sternum strap can help. If they are traveling ultra light or lightweight it servers little benefit.

Wolf

When I'm dayhiking, with only about 10 pounds in my pack, I still find it helpful to take the 5 seconds to buckle the sternum strap on my pack. I don't get in THAT much of a hurry to start the day's hike, that I don't have time to do it. ;)

Red Hat
09-08-2008, 12:03
The sternum strap keeps my pack from sliding down my shoulders. I am a little busty and the shoulder straps want to pull to the side unless I keep the strap buckled. Women's packs don't seem to make a difference.

Obiwan
09-08-2008, 12:23
Seems real simple to me.....try alternating using it/not using it and see how it works for you

Marta
09-08-2008, 13:09
I always use a sternum strap. When I've used a pack without one, I end up with a lot of tension in my shoulders from trying to keep the shoulder straps from sliding off. For people that use the sternum strap, placement varies wildly depending on size of (or lack of) bust, etc. Some do it high; some do it low. And apparently, some don't do it at all.

bigcranky
09-08-2008, 13:56
First thing I cut off a new pack is the sternum strap. Hate the things. Never had the shoulder straps slide off without it. YMMV.

MyName1sMud
09-08-2008, 14:01
I sometimes use mine.... just depends

dessertrat
09-08-2008, 15:54
I am surprised by the results of this poll. It doesn't comport with my casual observations, but maybe I should look more closely next time.

Marta
09-08-2008, 15:55
I am surprised by the results of this poll. It doesn't comport with my casual observations, but maybe I should look more closely next time.

Who is that strange man who is staring at everyone's chests?:D

Homer&Marje
09-08-2008, 16:00
The sternum strap keeps my pack from sliding down my shoulders. I am a little busty and the shoulder straps want to pull to the side unless I keep the strap buckled. Women's packs don't seem to make a difference.

Marje has the same problem, keeping the sternum strap up high but not too tight that it pulls in, just keeps the shoulder straps still.

I always use a sternum strap. When I've used a pack without one, I end up with a lot of tension in my shoulders from trying to keep the shoulder straps from sliding off. For people that use the sternum strap, placement varies wildly depending on size of (or lack of) bust, etc. Some do it high; some do it low. And apparently, some don't do it at all.

The great thing about the newer sternum straps is the adjust ability, Marjes NorthFace Terra40 has about 4-5" of play on the vertical height of the strap.

Peaks
09-08-2008, 16:23
Good question.

My first pack that had a sternum strap was the Gregory Forester, but I never used it. But, now using the Osprey Atmos, it's more comfortable using the sternum strap. So, it all depends on the pack design and how the pack fits your body.

JumpInTheLake
09-09-2008, 15:45
I don't use mine.

Frosty
09-09-2008, 15:54
ALways use them. I remember the first time I had them on a pack (long time ago). It seemed silly, and was tight at first and uncomfortable, but someone showed me to loosen it A LOT, and lower it. What a revelation. I can keep my shoulder straps MUCH looser now and not have them slide around. I have a large chest and wide shoulders, so there is a natural slope to the outside and that is where the shoulder straps used to migrate before shoulder straps.

Frosty
09-09-2008, 16:57
ALways use them. I remember the first time I had tehm on a pack (long time ago). They seemed silly, and was tight at first and uncomfortable, but someone showed me to loosen it A LOT, and lower it. What a revelation. I can keep my shoulder straps MUCH looser now and not have them slide around. I have a large chest and wide shoulders, so there is a natural slope to the outside and that is where the shoulder straps used to migrate before shoulder straps.

trouthunter
09-09-2008, 17:41
I rarely use mine, but I find them helpful with stability on steeper climbs and descents.

Frau
09-09-2008, 18:41
I'll join with the ladies. I always use mine. Bust size effects the slide factor--off the shoulder. The sternum sternums strap helps AND I always clip the hydration tube to the strap, whether carrying my 10 lb. Go-Lite day pack or backpacking the 35 pound Catalyst.

Frau

Wise Old Owl
09-09-2008, 19:26
Everyone is differently shaped – I follow a 60 40 rule where the pack weight is on the hips with the belt, and some of the weight is on the shoulders. That ol’ sternum strap has been tried over and over again, and today it’s the first thing to get cut off. The Rings support other objects such as GPS or a clip on knife so it’s clear I have one.

-SEEKER-
09-09-2008, 19:59
I use the sternum strap. It also doubles as a place to tie my hankie and a place to loop the wires of my MP3 player. :rolleyes:

MDhiker1967
09-09-2008, 20:21
I use mine to hold my GPS

Wise Old Owl
09-09-2008, 20:35
I hate closing a thread.....
Removed by me for poor taste in humor

AK Jeff
09-10-2008, 15:38
Really ? LOL were do you hike ? LA or New York City ? :D