PDA

View Full Version : Looking for campsites

Debbie
09-08-2008, 20:10
Hi;

Is anybody familiar with the Central Va. AT between Tye River and Rockfish Gap? Its 16 miles between Maupin Field Shelter and Paul C. Wolfe Shelter, and I wonder if there are any possible campsites in between there. The people I'm hiking with may not want to do 16 miles in a day.

Thanks

Debbie/Sea Eagle

DAKS
09-08-2008, 20:13
plenty of campsites, although dry.

Debbie
09-08-2008, 20:36
Thanks. There are places to get water in that 16 miles, though, aren't there?

Debbie

DAKS
09-08-2008, 22:36
as far as water goes, there are two springs IIRC just after crossing the BRP at dripping rock and then again just after humpback rocks there is a single piped spring(running very slowly a month ago).

campsites IIRC, (1)after maupin field shelter just before descending into reeds gap(approx. 2 miles) off to the right if going NOBO, (2)just after you cross the BRP at dripping rock off to the right but before the springs, (3)and then there are numerous sites up around the humpback rocks. good luck and have a ball!

Debbie
09-09-2008, 09:16
Thanks, we will!

BRP is Blue Ridge Parkway, but what is IIRC?

Debbie

rafe
09-09-2008, 09:29
I remember it being very rocky terrain -- especially up near Humpback Mountain. Plenty of nice camping by Harpers Creek shelter (the shelter itself is no great shakes.) Paul C. Wolfe shelter is very nice.

DAKS
09-09-2008, 19:08
IIRC-if i remember correctly?

yes, humpback rocks very rocky and kind of a scramble getting up there after dripping rock! heading nobo after this little problem the trail is very nice and a very easy grade to hike! the miles will fly by! be sure and take yer' time though to enjoy some of the little trail side attractions such as the old cabin ruins and the little cemetery very near there!

paul c. wolfe shelter is quite nice and very clean with a good water source(creek)just in front of it! didn't stay there as i pushed on to rockfish gap. in retrospect, kinda' wished i would have stayed there!

harpers creek shelter area has a ton of campsites and a good water source(creek)directly in front of the shelter. in may when i was there, i saw the biggest gigantinormous rattler right next to the trail! pretty cool!

have a great hike! hope the info helps!

rafe
09-09-2008, 19:11
Thanks, we will!

BRP is Blue Ridge Parkway, but what is IIRC?

Debbie

If I recall correctly.

Pedaling Fool
09-09-2008, 19:21
I remember it being very rocky terrain -- especially up near Humpback Mountain. Plenty of nice camping by Harpers Creek shelter (the shelter itself is no great shakes.) Paul C. Wolfe shelter is very nice.
Some excellent camping spots at that shelter; a must stop, imho. I know that doesn't help you Debbie, but I just had to say it. I don't remember any really good camping areas north of Maupin Field area. You could always do a "Forced March" with your hiking partners.

Blissful
09-09-2008, 19:36
You might be able to camp near the Humpback Rock picnic area (have to bushwack over there). Might consider that.

BTW - I did the 16 miles from Maupin to Paul C Walf in no shape at all. So did my son and hubby. I hurt at the end, but it's doable. Take Advil. :)

rafe
09-09-2008, 20:13
You might be able to camp near the Humpback Rock picnic area (have to bushwack over there). Might consider that.

There was a nice side trail to the picnic area -- no bushwhack involved. About 0.2 miles each way. You can get water there also (unless they turn the spigots off...)

Debbie
09-09-2008, 20:16
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I appreciate it. Whether we push on through or camp, we'll have a good time.

SeaEagle/Debbie