PDA

View Full Version : Split from Loudness Thread - Wildlife sightings on the trail

Tin Man
09-08-2008, 05:59
There is wildlife on the AT...

I heard some loud groups in the Whites recently that sounded like a moving party. They were mostly college age. Didn't bother me.

I heard some loud noises in the Whites recently. It was a large bull moose eating breakfast right off the trail. Later that day, a pheasant ran down the trail in front of me. Very cool.

emerald
09-08-2008, 06:25
But you know the AT is not the wilderness experience. It is a social event.

There's plenty of other trails for remoteness and peace and quiet.

Last week I met 2 SOBO through-hikers on the A.T. near where I live. They told me I was the only other person they'd seen all day for the 1st time since Maine.

By hiking early and late in the day, they see wildlife many people never even knew existed. Granted, they're exceptionally observant and perhaps the only thing they value more highly than the company of one another is seeing wildlife.

When I was with them, we saw 3 mountain lions.

fiddlehead
09-08-2008, 07:35
Last week I met 2 SOBO through-hiking friends on the A.T. near where I live. They told me I was the only other person they'd seen all day for the 1st time since Maine.

By hiking early and late in the day, they see wildlife many people never even knew existed. Granted, they're exceptionally observant and perhaps the only thing they value more highly than their own company is seeing wildlife.

It's why i recommend a SOBO hike if you are going to do the AT.
Did you really see 3 mountain lions the other day? Where?
(I've only ever seen 2 and 2 bobcats in the wild in 16 years of long distance hiking)(was it at night?)

emerald
09-08-2008, 13:31
Did you really see 3 mountain lions the other day?

With God as my witness!

Where? Was it at night?

I'd really rather not say here, but it was just before dark.

woodsy
09-08-2008, 19:01
And i saw a pair of Ivory Billed Woodpeckers on the ME AT :rolleyes:

emerald
09-08-2008, 19:37
And i saw a pair of Ivory Billed Woodpeckers on the ME AT :rolleyes:

woodsy, some day you must visit The Green Diamond. It's a magical place.

In fact, I saw a pair of ivory-billed woodpeckers here just yesterday same place I reported seeing them before. I understand four pairs of bald eagles nested here this year and they fly overhead many September days on our portion on the A.T.

You're just mad your loons are snowbirds. Don't worry. They'll return next year.

woodsy
09-08-2008, 19:45
woodsy, some day you must visit The Green Diamond. It's a magical place.

In fact, I saw a pair of ivory-billed woodpeckers here just yesterday same place I reported seeing them before. I understand four pairs of bald eagles nested here this year and they fly overhead many September days on our portion on the A.T.

You're just mad your loons are snowbirds. Don't worry. They'll return next year.
you didn't see no Ivory Billed Woodpeckers U peckerhead :D

emerald
09-08-2008, 20:22
you didn't see no Ivory Billed Woodpeckers U peckerhead :D

I saw some at Mill Grove last month too. If I didn't know better, I might have mistaken them for the birds I saw yesterday.

Please don't be so loud or you won't see any wildlife on this thread. WhiteBlaze and the A.T. should have rules more like Hawk Mountain Sanctuary's. If you're not too loud, you might even see some ivory-bills here (http://images.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/i/image/image-idx?med=1;sid=96bd63779006594bcc3ca64ece75e9dd;sor t=audimg_ti;q1=audimg;rgn1=audimg_all;size=20;c=au dimg;lasttype=;view=entry;lastview=thumbnail;subvi ew=detail;cc=audimg;entryid=x-aud0066;viewid=AUD0066.TIF;start=201;resnum=220).

HikerRanky
09-08-2008, 20:56
If you are looking for the thread from which this was split from, you can find it here. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=694496)

Randy

fiddlehead
09-08-2008, 21:34
Don't know if it's still possible, but in '98, when i hiked the CDT, I did Montana by myself.
I saw 2 other hikers in that 600 mile section.
Except for hitches to town, 2 rangers & a pack train in the "Bob", one logger and a few pickup trucks, that's the only human contact i had. (excluding tourists in "Glacier")
Got chased by a moose, had a herd of elk pass by me within 10' when i hid in a tree, saw eagles fishing, and 3 griz.

Still amazed about 3 mtn lions on the AT though. That's incredible.

emerald
09-08-2008, 23:02
Still amazed about 3 mtn lions on the AT though. That's incredible.

I re-read my post and I did not say the mountain lions were on the AT. They were near it where others have seen them too. They're actually not far from the musk-oxen.;)