PDA

View Full Version : Daily Mileage?!?

glanton04
09-08-2008, 21:38
Alright, I'm male, 18, physically fit and I'll be solo. I'll be hiking from Amicalola - Woody Gap. I'm just wondering how many miles I'll be able to get a day. I'll have a little over 2 days.

KG4FAM
09-08-2008, 21:51
It ain't no different than anywhere else in Georgia. If you don't know what you can or can't do don't put yourself on schedule that you are unsure of.

Egads
09-08-2008, 21:55
14 mpd is not too bad if you are fit. Is this your first hike? What's your pack weight?

paradoxb3
09-08-2008, 23:52
well, i did that same section hike earlier this year (March 1st with the thru hikers) in 2 days. I'm male, 25 yrs old (i was actually 24 in march), pretty physically fit for hiking, and a pack weight of roughly 30 lbs. i shot for hawk mt shelter on day 1... somebody help me here, thats what, something like 14-15 miles from the visitors center...? then day 2 was about 11 miles. when are you going? i was carrying winter gear as well, and really too much of it. if you're going soon, still during the summer, you could probably carry half the weight i did for just 2 days.

max patch
09-09-2008, 09:31
2 days ASP to Woody would be too aggressive a schedule for "most" hikers.

However, if "a little over 2 days" means 2 1/2 days to hike, AND you get an early start at ASP, then you should be ok.

Having said that, I'd actually suggest you hike USFS42 to Springer to Woody Gap over 2 days. You shouldn't have to worry about finishing on time doing that.

rafe
09-09-2008, 10:50
It really depends on your condition. There's a fair amount of vertical change in these hills -- Georgia is no pushover. 11-12 miles per day is quite do-able if you're in halfway decent shape.

Lyle
09-09-2008, 10:57
I'm 55, did that section in 2.5 days, but only because I did't start hiking until well after noon on the first day. I did do Hawk Mountain to Woody Gap in one day with no real rushing. I was in so-so shape, and carrying about 23#.

At your age, and if you get a relatively early start on day one, you should be able to make it. It will be tiring tho, I'm sure. Especially if you don't have a lot of backpacking experience, so you don't really know what to expect.

Have fun.

Blissful
09-09-2008, 11:41
Should be fine if you have two plus days. Have a great time.

Gaiter
09-09-2008, 11:44
ignore any mpd suggestions and just see what you do when u are out there, what does your body feel comfortable with, who knows maybe you feel like taking a bunch of breaks....
hike your own hike

max patch
09-09-2008, 12:23
ignore any mpd suggestions and just see what you do when u are out there, what does your body feel comfortable with, who knows maybe you feel like taking a bunch of breaks....
hike your own hike

Remember, he has to be at Woody at a specific date and time, so that estimating how many miles he can do per day is a necessity. Otherwise, I agree with your philosophy.

paradoxb3
09-09-2008, 13:13
Remember, he has to be at Woody at a specific date and time, so that estimating how many miles he can do per day is a necessity. Otherwise, I agree with your philosophy.

If he couldn't make it to Woody in time theres always FS42, Three forks at FS58, and Hightower gap/Rock creek road to bail out on, assuming his pickup can FIND it. (Been camping/fishing at rock creek, and visiting rock creek lake since i was 12... never knew the AT was only a few miles up the road until after the 2nd time i section hiked through there!)

If you've got some hiking experience and are really as physically fit as you believe you are (and dont carry 50lbs of camping gear for 2 days!) then i dont see any reason u couldnt make it to woody gap in 2-2 1/2 days.

If you've got 2.5 days, i'd suggest a plan something like this:

Day 1: Amicalola falls to somewhere between stover creek shelter and long creek falls -- 9 to 11.5 miles depending on where in that area you camp.

Day 2: From there to Gooch mountain shelter (a pretty nice shelter) -- 8.5 to 11 miles depending again on where u stopped on day 1.

Day 3: Gooch to woody gap - roughly 5.5 miles.

------

Otherwise if you're only doing 2 full days i go back to my original suggestion of hawk mountain on day 1, and woody gap on day 2.

HikerRanky
09-09-2008, 16:55
Personally, here is what I would do....

Day 1: AFSP to Stover Creek Shelter...11.3 miles
Day 2: Stover Creek Shelter to Justus Creek campsite... 11.1 miles
Part of Day 3: Justus Creek to Woody Gap... 6.4 miles

Lots of road crossings to bail out on...... should you need to.

Have a great time!

Randy

rafe
09-09-2008, 17:12

Have a great time!

Randy

Your Day 1 and Day 2 scenario is exactly how I played it years ago... at age 37, carrying a huge pack (at least 45 lbs.) Day 3 ended at Jarrard Gap, IIRC.

paradoxb3
09-10-2008, 00:00

Have a great time!

Randy

thats whats so great. probably a dozen different ways to hike it, and a dozen different ways you could change the plan along the way -- and we're only talkin 2 days!

if it were ME..... since hes only spending a MAX of 2 nights, and so long as hes confident enough he can make the mileage, i'd suggest just hitting the (most likely empty at this time) shelters, and save some lbs and not carry a shelter at all. i'm sure someone will flame me for saying that. :rolleyes: like i said, if it were ME....

stranger
09-10-2008, 02:59
Personally I think GA is very overrated in terms of terrain, but I've never hiked the approach trail which I understand is mostly uphill. However, I sectioned from Springer to Atkins VA this year and I averaged over 17 miles per day through GA, with a 27lb pack, in decent but not great trail shape, and smoking cigarettes the whole way.

It's a personal thing, but GA is more annoying than difficult in terms of terrain in my experience.

Marta
09-10-2008, 06:52
The reason it's so hard to make a prediction about how long it will take you is that, if everything goes well, it's not a long or difficult hike, especially for someone your age, who is in good physical condition. However, if one thing goes really wrong, all bets are off. That one thing could be something as simple as blisters. Then, all of a sudden, instead of whipping along at 3 mph (which is not an unreasonable speed for a young fellow with a light pack), you're limping along at 1 mph. This is why most people will recommend a conservative mileage schedule for your first hike, and advise that you bring something to read or otherwise occupy yourself in your free time, in the happy event that you find the hiking easy and quick, which will probably be the case.