PDA

View Full Version : Hiawassee GA Sept27

BumpJumper
09-09-2008, 13:23
I will be up in Hiawassee for the weekend of Sept 26-29. I will have some time to do some day hikes. I am looking for someone that can do a short jaunt with me. I have not done the AT at any length so a long hike is out. I heard of a nice area near N. GA that has a spring and creek along it.
Is there anyone who may be interested in going with me and showing me around? The more the merrier.
I am not a marathoner.....

tatersalad
09-09-2008, 14:40
I might be able to get over there on that Sunday.

If you want PM me with your email or other contact info. With any luck we can meet up and hit the trail.

tater

BumpJumper
09-09-2008, 15:26
Hey Tater Tot!:banana Sounds great. I look forward to it. I will email you the info. Got any ideas about where we can go?

Boudin
09-09-2008, 15:28
I don't know my schedule, but I live just sdown the trail in Blairsville. PM me and we may be able to work something out.

BumpJumper
09-09-2008, 15:29
PS.....my last name is TRAIL....so dont hit it too hard!:D

BumpJumper
09-09-2008, 15:31
Hey Boudin.
Geek tried to put me in touch with you but I screwed it all up and thought you were boulder.
OK, I will email you with info.
My maw lived in Hiawassee so I will be a hop, skip and a jump away.

BumpJumper
09-12-2008, 16:43
Anyone else wanna show me the ropes up there?:rolleyes:

FatMan
09-12-2008, 22:18
Anyone else wanna show me the ropes up there?:rolleyes:If you have not decided where to hike I might recommend the Slaughter Creek/AT/Freeman/Jarrard Creek loop out of Lake Winfield Scott which only about 20 minutes from Blairsville. It is a nice hike that takes you over Blood Mtn. Unfortunately I am dog watching that weekend so I cannot do that stretch of trail. Just too popular to take three dogs along.

However, if you strike out with finding anyone to hike with, you are welcome to come to my house which is about 10 minutes further south of Lake Winfield Scott and we can hike the AT from Grassy Gap to Justus Creek or further and back. Makes for a nice 8 mile day hike. We could also stage a car at Cooper Gap and hike over there. But I kind of like hiking out the back door and just turning around when we get tired. Let me know how it works out for you.

Tennessee Viking
09-12-2008, 23:17
I will be up in Hiawassee for the weekend of Sept 26-29. I will have some time to do some day hikes. I am looking for someone that can do a short jaunt with me. I have not done the AT at any length so a long hike is out. I heard of a nice area near N. GA that has a spring and creek along it.
Is there anyone who may be interested in going with me and showing me around? The more the merrier.
I am not a marathoner.....
I was up in between Neels Gap and Unicoi Gap Labor Day weekend. It was crowded, dry, and unbareably humid.

BumpJumper
09-13-2008, 08:55
Fatman,
That sounds good. Except I dont know if I have time for an 8 mile hike. Is anything around you shorter distance?

johnny quest
09-13-2008, 17:23
i would love to go. im near pensacola right now, been healing from maine. are you going near pensacola on your way up?

FatMan
09-13-2008, 17:27
Fatman,
That sounds good. Except I dont know if I have time for an 8 mile hike. Is anything around you shorter distance?I live right on the trail at Grassy Gap (a few hundred yards). We can hike out the back door as far as you choose and turn around and go back. It is about 2.8 miles from the back door to Woody Gap to the north or about 4 miles to Justus creek to the south. I prefer to go south because of less people, but Woody Gap is a good hike with nice views from Ramrock Mtn.

BumpJumper
09-15-2008, 10:21
Fatman,
Any water or streams on that hike?

Johnny....I am leaving the 25th from Central Florida. Pensacola is not on the way. Sorry.

FatMan
09-15-2008, 11:30
Fatman,
Any water or streams on that hike?There is no water heading north to Woody Gap other than the creek on my property that runs up to Grassy Gap where we get on the AT. Heading south there is a small creek a couple hundred yards off the trail at Gooch Gap (Gooch Gap water source listed in guidebooks), Blackwell Creek which is very nice a few hundred yards south of the Gooch Mtn Shelter, and then Justus Creek if we should choose to go that far.

Gray Blazer
09-15-2008, 11:49
Guess what? There is a 100 ft waterfall in FL. It is near Chipley at the Fallling Waters State Park. I went there this weeekend and it is a really cool place. I'm not sure how far it is off the FT. When you go up that way, check it out.

BumpJumper
09-17-2008, 16:44
Exactly where is that?

Gray Blazer
09-17-2008, 21:10
BJ, Chipley is 90 miles west of Tallahassee on I-10. FL Caverns are near there, too. They are worth checking out.

BumpJumper
09-18-2008, 16:25
Fatman,
I am gearing towards Sunday morning. I have to work out some details but I will let you know if I iron them out.

FatMan
09-21-2008, 13:14
Sunday morning works for me. PM me for directions.

Just hiked down to Blackwell Creek and back. Figure about 2.75-3 hours at FatMan pace.

peanuts
09-21-2008, 13:56
sunday morning sounds great!! pm me w/info #'s please:)

FatMan
09-21-2008, 14:41
sunday morning sounds great!! pm me w/info #'s please:)Would love to have you join us. And if BumpJumper bails you are more than welcome to join me regardless. I am out on the trail most days and nearly always on Sundays. PM sent.:)

BumpJumper
09-23-2008, 16:58
Peanuts and Fatman. Sunday morning it is. I will email you with directions. I have one, maybe two other going. Sounds great.

adventurousmtnlvr
09-23-2008, 17:21
Hey Dawn, when Fatman gets the directions as I WILL need them, lol let me know (you have the number) or just post it here and tell me the time as I'm driving from 35 min. North of Chatt. See you all then ! :)

FatMan
09-23-2008, 18:29
OK, have a couple of PMs/emails asking for directions. I will email my address and a mapquest link. The only caveat to mapquest, google maps, or GPS is that they show that my house is only .4 miles in on Cooper Gap road as that is the national forest boundry. But I live in an area landlocked by the national forest and my house is actually approx 2.0 miles in on Cooper Gap Road.

Everyone is welcome and if you are interested send me a pm and I will get directions to you. I would like to get out on the trail around 10am so please plan accordingly. Some of you are coming from a fair distance so you are more than welcome to drive out Saturday evening. There is plenty of sleeping space in the house if you choose to do so and one of the great things about my house is there is always beer on tap.:D

BumpJumper
09-24-2008, 12:44
Fatman and all.... As I have explained (I think), this needed to be a short hike for me as I am on a time restraint.
If I start a hike as late as 10 am, that will envelope my whole day, which unfortunately, I do not have. I have to get my moms house packed up and can only give a half day to my recreation. How long of a hike is it anyways? Time, distance?

BumpJumper
09-24-2008, 13:19
Who has done the Raven Cliff Falls trail?
Moses emailed me and said it sounds just what I am looking for. A short hike along a river near Hiawassee. I am curious about it.

Two Speed
09-24-2008, 14:00
Done it a couple of times. Easy hiking, except for the last 1/4, maybe 1/8 of a mile up to the cliffs themselves. Most of the time the trail is within sight of a very scenic stream. Usually a fair number of folks going back and forth on the weekends.

Pretty good trail description on Georgia Trails (http://georgiatrails.com/trails/raven.html).

FatMan
09-24-2008, 17:29
Fatman and all.... As I have explained (I think), this needed to be a short hike for me as I am on a time restraint.
If I start a hike as late as 10 am, that will envelope my whole day, which unfortunately, I do not have. I have to get my moms house packed up and can only give a half day to my recreation. How long of a hike is it anyways? Time, distance?2.5-3.0 hours depending on pace.

BumpJumper
09-24-2008, 19:25
Humm....Fatman. I sure am tempted by the creek running alongside of Raven Cliff.

Twospeed....how do you know when you get to the point that is at the cliffs? I am cliff illiterate!:eek:

Egads
09-24-2008, 19:32
....how do you know when you get to the point that is at the cliffs? I am cliff illiterate!:eek:

You are hiking upstream about 2 miles when suddenly the river jumps up about 60 feet:rolleyes:

It's a very easy in & out hike.

A couple more easy and worthwhile hikes in the neighborhood are Desoto Falls, & Horse Trough Falls at the Chattahoochee River

BumpJumper
09-24-2008, 19:34
So this hike is only about a two mile hike before it reaches the cliffs? How strenuous is the climbing at this point and how much farther to the top?:eek:
Also, can anyone tell me what the temps are like right now up there during the am hours?

Dances with Mice
09-24-2008, 20:15
Twospeed....how do you know when you get to the point that is at the cliffs? I am cliff illiterate!:eek:There will be a bunch of people standing around looking up.

bloodmountainman
09-24-2008, 20:17
So this hike is only about a two mile hike before it reaches the cliffs? How strenuous is the climbing at this point and how much farther to the top?:eek:
Also, can anyone tell me what the temps are like right now up there during the am hours?
Easy climb to the base of the cliffts and waterfall. Strenous climb to the top of cliffts and dangerous! Morning temps have been in the mid 50's.

bloodmountainman
09-24-2008, 20:24
There will be a bunch of people standing around looking up.
I can tell you've beeen there! Thanks for the weed wacking on the DRT . Great Job!

Egads
09-24-2008, 20:30

Climbing to the top of waterfalls is frowned upon for safety reasons. But you can climb the vines and rocks if you persist. There is a secret second higher falls if you do. Don't tell anyone else about it because of the buried treasure.

bloodmountainman
09-24-2008, 20:42
Climbing to the top of waterfalls is frowned upon for safety reasons. But you can climb the vines and rocks if you persist. There is a secret second higher falls if you do. Don't tell anyone else about it because of the buried treasure.
That treasure gets re-located often!! There is a secret third fall above the secret second one!

Bulldawg
09-24-2008, 21:15
I just off the trail after a day out there on Blood. The weather was PERFECT!!! Really dry though. Camel up when you can and carry what you need. Plan accordingly for it to be dry and to go WAY OFF the mountain to get water.

Bulldawg
09-24-2008, 21:21
Hey Fatman, what sort of hike you got planned from your house? I am looking for a good first hike for my Black Lab.

FatMan
09-24-2008, 21:59
Hey Fatman, what sort of hike you got planned from your house? I am looking for a good first hike for my Black Lab.We are just heading south to Blackwell Creek or Justus Creek and back. Depends on how far others want to go. You are certainly welcome to join us. For that matter you are welcome to come over anytime with your dog.

Bulldawg
09-24-2008, 22:05
We are just heading south to Blackwell Creek or Justus Creek and back. Depends on how far others want to go. You are certainly welcome to join us. For that matter you are welcome to come over anytime with your dog.

I might make it over. it depends on the fuel situation come Sunday. There is not any gas anywhere I look. The only I could find in Cornelia this afternoon was at a full service station that only had premium at $4.79 per gallon.

BumpJumper
09-25-2008, 05:43
Fatman, I am going to pass on meeting up with you. I need to do an early hike because of time. Thank you for the invites though. I am going to hit Raven Cliff. Anyone else is welcome to join us up there. Thanks all. I wont have any cell coverage in Hiawassee.

Two Speed
09-25-2008, 07:29
You're gonna love it, and I bet you don't have any trouble at all finding the falls.

FatMan
09-25-2008, 09:35
Fatman, I am going to pass on meeting up with you. I need to do an early hike because of time. Thank you for the invites though. I am going to hit Raven Cliff. Anyone else is welcome to join us up there. Thanks all. I wont have any cell coverage in Hiawassee.Have a nice hike. It is a very pretty trail and the weather looks great for Sunday.

Dances with Mice
09-25-2008, 11:27
I can tell you've beeen there! Thanks for the weed wacking on the DRT . Great Job!And did you notice how thoroughly the weeds were whacked near the AT intersection, where we started, then how it got progressively more selective as you got closer to Wolf Pen Gap?

adventurousmtnlvr
09-26-2008, 10:55
She just called me (Friday 26th), and while I won't go into details; (she is without a computer while traveling) and asked me to post on her behalf that she apologizes for having to CANCEL this hike and hopes to try again in the future or another place nearby :)

BumpJumper
09-29-2008, 15:14
Hi All!:sun
As Cathy said, I had to cancel my hiking plans. I am so disappointed. I was so looking forward to it.
I will live to hike another day!
My time at my mom's was just awful and I would not have had time to go hike and enjoy it!
Thanks to all yall who gave me my info and I will surely use it one day:banana

adventurousmtnlvr
09-29-2008, 19:26
Hi All!:sun
As Cathy said, I had to cancel my hiking plans. I am so disappointed. I was so looking forward to it.
I will live to hike another day!
My time at my mom's was just awful and I would not have had time to go hike and enjoy it!
Thanks to all yall who gave me my info and I will surely use it one day:bananaglad you got home ok :) Was concerned as I know that trip was difficult. So we will all meet up another time :)

BumpJumper
09-29-2008, 20:32
Cat,
Should you ever want to hike the Florida Trail, come on down. I know, I know....flatlanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sun:sun

adventurousmtnlvr
09-30-2008, 00:26
Cat,
Should you ever want to hike the Florida Trail, come on down. I know, I know....flatlanders!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sun:sunmy thoughts on the "word" not the people "flatlanders" are "easier on the knees!" lol (or at least mine)