PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for eliminating problem area in boot

smithk3933
09-09-2008, 16:37
I've tried three different mid height boots trying to find something to replace my 15 year old LLBeans. Two of the boots Vasque kota and Breeze both fit well and seemed OK except for one area on my right foot. There was at times a pressure point on my achilles tendon above the heel and below the ankle bone. I've had shoes press there before and it can be excrutiating!

I tried the SuperFeet insoles and that helped a bit. Anyone else experience this problem. Would there be less problem with a low cut shoe?

What are some the best rated low cut trail shoes with the best overall support? I see that the Vasque Breeze also comes in a lowcut version.

Thanks.

Keith

adventurousmtnlvr
09-09-2008, 16:49
are you trying to KEEP any shoe from hitting there? Not sure if you are asking for another boot or a solution. Need more info. Does it only hurt if a boot touches it? or are you asking for padding or ideas on lessioning the pain?

I don't know about the boots ... but if padding 'that' area is what you need I have a couple "odd" suggestions. A tennis wrist band works great for the foot (learned that in skating when the top my my skate was cutting my leg) so the wrist band padded 'that area you mentioned. Make up sponges (round) also work and can be cut ... taping them is another issue. For specific achilles tendon though ... depends on your current or past problem. For support, padding and lessoning pain there are thin socks with gel in them for that purpose and a number of other bands and heel things you can buy ... just type in achilles tendon and see what you find. You can also ice the area if it's a current problem (but if you had or need surgery can't help there, lol). If you are asking about specifics of a boot ... another person will have to help with that; I'm not knowledgeable in that area yet. Best wishes.

FamilyGuy
09-09-2008, 16:52
First - low cut boots or light hikers are going to have less inherent ankle support.

Second - if you don't have an existing ankle injury and are not packing heavy on uneven terrain, a low cut option will help to strengthen your ankles and provide less unsprung weight when moving.

I have used the Inov-8 Roclite 335's with great success and as well, the Montrail CTC's. Not waterproof but really breathable and they dry very fast. In any event, if you really expect some sloppy weather or snow, you could always employ waterproof socks as a temporary measure.

Summit
09-09-2008, 16:52
If I remember right, the only mid-boots I ever bought were troublesome just below the ankle area. Was the reason I never bought another pair. I think low-cut shoes might be what you need. There are a number of good brands. Vasque, Keen, Salomon, Merrell, New Balance are just a few. Go for fit first and sales price second! :)

Summit
09-09-2008, 16:55
First - low cut boots or light hikers are going to have less inherent ankle support.

Second - if you don't have an existing ankle injury and are not packing heavy on uneven terrain, a low cut option will help to strengthen your ankles and provide less unsprung weight when moving.

I have used the Inov-8 Roclite 335's with great success and as well, the Montrail CTC's. Not waterproof but really breathable and they dry very fast. In any event, if you really expect some sloppy weather or snow, you could always employ waterproof socks as a temporary measure.
Yep, in fact I would suggest to avoid Gortex or any other waterproof trail runner as they just cause sweating and take forever to dry. I carry Sealskiz waterproof socks for rainy weather hiking and they work great. They are also nice and warm camp side in cold weather. :)

smithk3933
09-09-2008, 18:08
So do the so called trail runners have the stiffness needed for carrying a 30-35lb pack on my 6'1" - 170lb frame? Do most have the solid shank of some sort?

Thanks.

Keith

Summit
09-09-2008, 22:29
Some use trail runners which are running shoes with a little more support. Then there are 'cross trainers' which may be what you would be interested in. The only real difference I can see between trail runners and cross trainers is the later usually has Vibram soles, which BTW vary from a running tread to a hiking tread. I prefer the hiking tread. Thus, cross trainers are stiffer and isolate your feet from 'feeling' the rocks. The weight increases as you go from regular running shoes to trail runners to cross trainers. With your height and light weight for your height, you shouldn't have any problem with one of these type shoes if you exercise regularly.

Try several brands of each type out. Be sure to take the set of socks (liner and outer sock) you normally hike in with you to try them on. There's an REI in Greensboro that would be good for that. My son lives in Winston-Salem BTW. :)

BitBucket
09-09-2008, 22:59
I've got a pair of Vasque Wasatch GTX's that have the same problem. Only on the right foot, right where you described it...sometimes it bothers me, sometimes it doesn't..If I loosen up the laces a bit, I don't notice it nearly as much as when the laces are pulled tight.

You might try skipping the top lace...that might help a bit...