PDA

View Full Version : Hennessey?

Spider
09-10-2008, 08:11
Hey guys I'm just now getting into hammocking. I have to get a new shelter anyway so I figured I'd get a hammock. I want something that is relatively low priced (under 200), and has the features I want (mosquito net, rainfly, lightweight). So far my favorite is the Expedition by Hennessey (http://hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html). Opinions? THANKS!

take-a-knee
09-10-2008, 09:18
If you are going to hike with it (you are posting here), I'd recommend the Hennessy Backpacker Ultralight if you are under 6' tall and 200#. I'd also recommend that you order it directly from Hennessy without a tarp and use the $60 discount to purchase an 8x8 Hammock Tarp from Jack's R Better or one of the excellent OES Macat tarps.

Hooch
09-10-2008, 09:26
First let me be the first to congratulate you on your decision to leave the ground to the animals. :D A hammock is so much more comfortable and versatile than a tent or tarp could bever begin to think about being. That said, a Henessy hammock is a good startup hammock. However, I have problems with their rain tarp. It provides little extra coverage against wind driven rain or a place to cook, etc. when the weather is bad.

IMO, a Speer hammock is an excellent alternative to the Hennessy. It's a top loading hammock, comes with a bug net and has a larger tarp to go with it. It's made right here in the mountains of North Carolina, versus a hit or miss situation with the Hennessy hammocks if the whole made in America issue is important to you.

As far as cost goes, If you get a Hennessy Expedition Asym (http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-expeditionasym.html) or Ultralite Backpacker Asym (http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-ul-asym.html), it'll run you about $140 or $160, respectively. With a Speer hammock (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Hammock.htm), you'll pay a little more, about $199. But, again, IMO, the Speer is the better hammock, has better rain coverage, you'll get better customer service out of Ed (Speer) and you'll rest well, knowing that your money is spent right here in America.

If there's anything else you want to know about the fine art of comfortable sleeping while hiking, please feel free to take a look at Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net). Join up, ask all the questions you want and don't forget to tell 'el Hooch sent ya!

msupple
09-10-2008, 10:05
Unless you're dead set on a bottom loader, I'd forego the Speer in favor of a better priced and IMHO a better hammock....the Claytor Jungle Hammock. The bug netting is sewn in and uses a zipper instead of velcro for entry/exit. I have never used a velcro closure but I can imagine it might be tricky lining it up properly during the night. Most velcro is also pretty loud. The Claytor zippers are high quality....never had a problem with them.

The other REALLY nice thing about the Claytor is the double bottom which allows you to insert your pad of choice without having to worry about it slipping away.

At ten feet it's also one of the longest hammocks out there which I believe contributes to it's amazing comfort.

I could personally never be happy with a bottom loading hammock or a hammock where the netting could not be removed on at least one side.

Claytor hammocks are made in Thailand Which is where Tom lives.

www.mosquitohammocks.com (http://www.mosquitohammocks.com)

Good luck with your choice. They are all good hammocks. I just pointed out the things that were important to me personally.

Miguel

msupple
09-10-2008, 10:11
Unless you're dead set on a bottom loader, I'd forego the Speer in favor of a better priced and IMHO a better hammock....the Claytor Jungle Hammock. The bug netting is sewn in and uses a zipper instead of velcro for entry/exit. I have never used a velcro closure but I can imagine it might be tricky lining it up properly during the night. Most velcro is also pretty loud. The Claytor zippers are high quality....never had a problem with them.

The other REALLY nice thing about the Claytor is the double bottom which allows you to insert your pad of choice without having to worry about it slipping away.

At ten feet it's also one of the longest hammocks out there which I believe contributes to it's amazing comfort.

I could personally never be happy with a bottom loading hammock or a hammock where the netting could not be removed on at least one side.

Claytor hammocks are made in Thailand Which is where Tom lives.

www.mosquitohammocks.com (http://www.mosquitohammocks.com)

Good luck with your choice. They are all good hammocks. I just pointed out the things that were important to me personally.

Miguel

Sorry but I gave you a bad link. Here's the correct one.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

After rereading my post it seems that I'm implying that the Speer is a bottom loader. It's not....I was referring to the HH. I meant that if you chose a top loader, I prefer the Claytor JH over the Speer, for the reasons above.

Miguel

joec
09-10-2008, 15:08
I have the Expedition from HH and it has been great. Just replace the stock tree huggers and rope, with the cinch buckles and straps and you will be set. For info on how to do the cinch buckles, do a search at Hammock forums and read away.

KG4FAM
09-10-2008, 15:22
If you are going to hike with it (you are posting here), I'd recommend the Hennessy Backpacker Ultralight if you are under 6' tall and 200#. I'd also recommend that you order it directly from Hennessy without a tarp and use the $60 discount to purchase an 8x8 Hammock Tarp from Jack's R Better or one of the excellent OES Macat tarps.One option that is overlooked a lot is the bigger asym tarp from the explorer ultralight. They only charged 10 bucks for the upgrade. The stock one for the expedition/ultralight backpacker is just stupid. I have the explorer tarp for my ultralight backpacker and then a JRB 8x8 for my expedition and they are both equilly good.

Marta
09-10-2008, 16:24
Hey guys I'm just now getting into hammocking. I have to get a new shelter anyway so I figured I'd get a hammock. I want something that is relatively low priced (under 200), and has the features I want (mosquito net, rainfly, lightweight). So far my favorite is the Expedition by Hennessey (http://hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html). Opinions? THANKS!

Please be aware that frequently the hammock is the tip of the spending iceberg. You'll need a different setup for bottom insulation than if you were tenting. I'd recommend reading a lot of the info on Hammock Forums and see if you're ready for the sort of experimentation and improvisation that you'll need to keep yourself warm in a hammock. For dedicated hammockers, the tinkering is part of the enduring fascination. Other people are shocked and dismayed.

JaxHiker
09-12-2008, 10:12
If you are going to hike with it (you are posting here), I'd recommend the Hennessy Backpacker Ultralight if you are under 6' tall and 200#. I'd also recommend that you order it directly from Hennessy without a tarp and use the $60 discount to purchase an 8x8 Hammock Tarp from Jack's R Better or one of the excellent OES Macat tarps.
QFT.

I bought my Backpacker Ultralight off eBay and got a great deal. Had I realized I could've bought it direct w/o the tarp I probably would've. The stock tarp sucks. It has to be absolutely perfectly pitched. I've survived the rain but fear that if I'd had any decent wind I would've been soaked. As it was with a moderate rain water still made it to the hammock. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my MacCat Deluxe will be here today. Worst case tomorrow.

My next hammock will probably be a DIY based on the Speer design and I'm already planning on making a DIY tarp.

Manach
09-12-2008, 10:59
I second the recommendation of the Claytor. However, they are on the heavy side compared to other brands. They make up for that in price and if you've never used a hammock a Claytor then makes a great starter. You won't lose a lot of dough if you don't like hammocking.

Rain Man
09-12-2008, 11:00
So far my favorite is the Expedition by Hennessey. Opinions?

I have a HH A-Sym Ultralight, but never used it on the trail until after I had it modified by putting zippers on the bug netting. A vast improvement, IMHO.

If you have or buy a HH, you might want to read the threads on here about that. 2Questions' wife did the modification for me and I'd recommend her again in a heartbeat.

Rain:sunMan

russb
09-12-2008, 16:06
Another vote for the Claytor here.

Oms
09-13-2008, 10:52
I'm with Rain Man on the addition of zippers to the HH. I also agree with those who have said the tarp is too small and should be purchased elsewhere. I have tried two different hammock manufacturers. I own a HH ultralight and HH hyperlite and ended up selling the Speers which I personally didn't care for. The side walls were way high up and I felt like I couldn't sleep on an angle which flattens you out more. The bug net, which is velcroed on, was a pain to line up. You will find, like any other product, people feel strongly about their choice. It can cost a fair bit of money for a complete set-up unless you make it yourself. There are top and bottom quilts, tarps, buckles, straps, and zippers (if you add one to a HH). You can also choose to buy a used hammock and use a regular pad and sleeping bag. Try it first before investing a lot of money. Some people don't care for it, but to me it's the best sleeping set-up there is. Definately check out the Hammock forum. These guys have been a great help to me. I never knew there was that much involved it hammocking. It's great fun to be a swinger :).

JaxHiker
09-13-2008, 17:34
The bug net, which is velcroed on, was a pain to line up.

I'm thinking of making a DIY based on the Speer but using zippers instead of velcro.

Oms
09-14-2008, 10:09
Hey JaxHiker, you won't be disappointed with the MacCat Deluxe. I have that and the 8x10 OES. Love these tarps. They are much better made than any other tarp I have seen. I bought the 8x10 because I bought a second hammock set-up for my son, but what I like about it is the ability to close up the ends in cooler weather.

Lyle
09-14-2008, 12:38
My recommendation is the Speer hammock and tarp. GREAT system and GREAT customer service. If you need to call, it's usually Ed Speer himself that answers the phone and gives you the answer you need.

Someone said they couldn't lay on the diagonal in a Speer. It's easy, just have to leave a lot more slack in the hang than you would think. VERY comfortable and near flat. More comfortable than my bed at home, and I'm usually a side sleeper. I've had zero problems with the velcro. Easy to close and easy to remove the netting when it's not needed.

StubbleJumper
09-14-2008, 15:58
The HH stock tarp is not that bad. I spent the night in my HH Asym Ultralight one night last week and it rained pretty steadily for 14 hours. With the exception of the "normal" condensation issues, I stayed dry. The biggest pain was breaking camp while it was raining....hard to keep everything dry when tearing down in the rain.

That being said, I think I'll be investing in a MacCat because the stock tarp is darn noisy on windy nights.

JaxHiker
09-14-2008, 16:48
Oms, got the MacCat and used it yesterday. Very nice! The quality is top notch.

Stubble, my stock tarp has done well in the rain but just doesn't provide the coverage I want. I'd say that's why Hennessy is letting you get a larger tarp now at no cost. And yes, it's darn noisy. Sadly, no wind to test the cat cuts last night. Why do I hope for wind and rain now? :D

Oms
09-14-2008, 18:36
This is a picture of my MacCat and 8x10. I didn't take the time to tie the corners tight on the 8x10 because it was very mild out. The Maccat is pretty quiet in the wind. I spent the night in high winds, luckily without rain, with the stock HH tarp. That is when I decided to make the change. I would have been soaked.http://picasaweb.google.com/GeorgeG61/2008_08_31PorkiesBackpackingTrip#52459334635919973 62

JaxHiker
09-14-2008, 21:48
I put it up again this afternoon after my beach hike and like it even more. This time I used tie-outs on the end instead of running a ridgeline. I'll have to play some more to see which method I like better. Sure seemed nice and tight when I popped it with my hand. I can't see the wind doing much to it. I certainly trust it more than the stock tarp to keep me dry.

1azarus
09-15-2008, 14:39
... I have to give another opinion about the stock HH tarp. Yes it is small, but that makes it delightfully light in weight... and, since most people don't seem to like them, they are a very easy "barely used" find -- for around $30... I've used a standard HH tarp for dozens of nights, including lots of rain -- with an HH as well as more recently with an ultralight travel hammock. Pitch it well and it will keep you dry. The real issue is over how little protection it gives outside the hammock -- essentially none! So, I enjoy the lightness of the tarp, and if the weather is really bad, I set up not too far from a shelter so I can eat and change in comfort. Counting ounces? Try it.

take-a-knee
09-15-2008, 14:45
... I have to give another opinion about the stock HH tarp. Yes it is small, but that makes it delightfully light in weight... and, since most people don't seem to like them, they are a very easy "barely used" find -- for around $30... I've used a standard HH tarp for dozens of nights, including lots of rain -- with an HH as well as more recently with an ultralight travel hammock. Pitch it well and it will keep you dry. The real issue is over how little protection it gives outside the hammock -- essentially none! So, I enjoy the lightness of the tarp, and if the weather is really bad, I set up not too far from a shelter so I can eat and change in comfort. Counting ounces? Try it.

Well, for thirty bucks you can have mine too.

1azarus
09-15-2008, 15:07
...I'll bet somebody'll buy it. Me, I've already got three!!!

Spider
09-20-2008, 15:43
I just ordered the Expedition about 30 seconds ago haha. I'll let you know how I like it.

take-a-knee
09-21-2008, 22:37
...I'll bet somebody'll buy it. Me, I've already got three!!!

Well Steve, looks like you are the only person here who wants an extra hennessy tarp. Heck, I'll take $25 for mine.

1azarus
09-22-2008, 10:01
Well Steve, looks like you are the only person here who wants an extra hennessy tarp. Heck, I'll take $25 for mine.

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But it should include postage, too, since I found a buyer!!! Someone in my office wants it... pm me, please, and I'll give you his email address, or phone number.

OK, while I may technically have won this bet, it does feel a little like bidding on your own ebay stuff... I am surprised that more people aren't interested.

By the way, I think part of the issue with the stock HH tarp is using it with an HH hammock. It just isn't that comfortable sitting on the hammock screen, and there sure isn't enough cover to stand next to the hammock and be protected from rain. A top loader gives you a place to sit outside of the rain -- even under the hammock floss tarp. I do really like that arrangement.

... and thanks!!!