PDA

View Full Version : Zero Or Twenty

Monkeywrench
09-10-2008, 09:22
I am planning to start at Springer next year around March 18 or so. I have a small collection of sleeping bags and need to choose between my 0* down bag and my 20* down bag to use at the start. Both bags weigh the same, so that is not an issue. Once the weather warms up I will change to my WM Summerlite bag for most of the trail, though I expect I will switch to the 20* bag for New Hampshire and Maine.

The 0* bag appeals to me for the start, but as the weather warms a bit, but not necessarily enough to switch to the Summerlite, it may be uncomfortably hot and the 20* bag may be more bearable. Decisions, decisions.

Anyone have any thoughts?

rafe
09-10-2008, 09:32
If both bags really weigh the same, then take the warmer bag. Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of that claim -- but if it's true, then the decision would be an easy one, for me -- as long as it can be unzipped.

Monkeywrench
09-10-2008, 09:47
If both bags really weigh the same, then take the warmer bag. Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of that claim -- but if it's true, then the decision would be an easy one, for me -- as long as it can be unzipped.

They really do weigh the same. They are both Mountain Hardwear bags. The 20* bag uses 600 fill down while the 0* bag uses 800 or 850 fill down (I forget which), so it ends up weighing the same.

rafe
09-10-2008, 10:34
They really do weigh the same. They are both Mountain Hardwear bags. The 20* bag uses 600 fill down while the 0* bag uses 800 or 850 fill down (I forget which), so it ends up weighing the same.

Well, that explains it. (MH makes nice bags.) As long as the 0* bag can be opened up (for warm nights) I'd go with that one. Switch 'em out after a few weeks or whatever.

Johnny Swank
09-10-2008, 10:49
I'd carry the 0 myself. You'll not have a weight penalty, and it's beyond nice to get some real sleep when the temps go below freezing. I froze my butt off in a 20-degree bag, but I didn't finish my SOBO until the middle of January.

bigcranky
09-10-2008, 20:01
Yeah, mid-March is usually when I swap out my winter bag for my 30-F bag, but if there's no weight penalty, the 0-F would be nice.

KG4FAM
09-10-2008, 20:27
Stick with the 800 fill. Usually the cheaper bags have less volume of down resulting in a exaggerated temperature rating. Mont Bell's 650s end up having less volume than their 800s. The volume should be the same for a temp rating but even in the same company their standards can be different.

Blissful
09-10-2008, 21:07
My son had a 20 degree Cats Meow for a March 5th start, though he did bring a liner just in case. Worked out fine. I think 0 degree would be way too warm.