PDA

View Full Version : Approach Trail???

firefly
03-12-2004, 15:42
how long is the approach trail and how difficult is it...I think it has changed some since I was on it last. I seen people mention that you can stop along the way at a shelter and an inn

firefly
03-12-2004, 15:54
ooops..sorry guys I should have read that before I sent it..I am thinking about hiking in with some thru hiking friends saturday morning to see them off...I have recovered enough now to hike slowly but I do not want to overdo it and cause any problems or distractions from their sendoff...I could hike up from the parking lot :( or maybe hike over from 3 forks..I have heard many different versions of how difficult the approach trail is and I do not have a clue how many miles it is.

Speer Carrier
03-12-2004, 16:02
ooops..sorry guys I should have read that before I sent it..I am thinking about hiking in with some thru hiking friends saturday morning to see them off...I have recovered enough now to hike slowly but I do not want to overdo it and cause any problems or distractions from their sendoff...I could hike up from the parking lot :( or maybe hike over from 3 forks..I have heard many different versions of how difficult the approach trail is and I do not have a clue how many miles it is.

The approach trail is over 8 miles, and mostly uphill. It is not a real difficult hike as a day hike. I think most thru hikers with full packs find it a challange. Instead of starting at three forks, you could go to the parking area on forest service road 42, and be only a .9 mile climb from Springer. The folks at Amicolola can give you directions

Rain Man
03-12-2004, 16:31
...I could hike up from the parking lot :( or maybe hike over from 3 forks..I have heard many different versions of how difficult the approach trail is and I do not have a clue how many miles it is.

I hiked the Approach Trail on February 29th with a 25 lb pack and had no trouble at all. I'm guessing it was from 9:30 till 3:30 or so.

If you want to get close, then definitely take USFS 42 from the west (Ellijay) side. Not a bad dirt road at all, and gets you to within 9/10ths of a mile of the top of Springer.

Rain Man

TankHiker
03-12-2004, 19:11
I don't know why the approach trail has such a hard reputation. I kept hearing that it was horrible and treacherous. The first mile is steep, but there is a paved road that crosses at that point (so you may try to get a ride). But after that, it is not bad at all. There are ups and downs, like on the AT. It's really a pretty walk. There is a shelter about a mile short of Springer.

I thoroughly enjoyed the approach trail. I think most people will tell you it's hard because it's their first real steps with a full pack on, and slightly discouraging to walk 8 miles before you even hit the AT.

-Tank

smokymtnsteve
03-12-2004, 19:53
starting at the top of falls is a good option..good parking there too and that first mile from the VC to the top of the falls is steep.