PDA

View Full Version : Why not hike with an iPhone

bobbyw
09-11-2008, 00:51
iPhones are a great part of my everyday life, and thinking about cancelling my contract and paying 250 to NOT have a phone irks me, so I was thinking, if I can afford my 35 dollar a month bill with that money instead, why not take it?

1. you can buy/pirate ebooks on it to read
2. you can listen to music on it so no need for a radio
3. it's got a good camera, so don't need one of those, and a ****load of memory on it
4. there is a project where you can download all of wikipedia to the phone, using about 1.5 gigs of space, but you have the worlds knowledge in your hands!
5. if I upgrade to a 3G I'd have a GPS! and there are appstore programs for compass, and much more
6. digitize all your maps and read them on it, with multitouch it's easy to zoom, and move the map around
7. typing on it is easy so I wouldn't really need a notebook, although I do love writing on real paper
8. there are now programs (dTunes) where you can download music for free over wifi, so when you get into a town, you can download all your music right from the device
9. I understand GSM coverage is hard to come by, but anywhere you get GSM coverage you don't have to pay for / be tied to a payphone, and if you can talk, you can pull anything from the interwebs, weather information, send e-mails to friends,

I found a charger CHEAP solar charger that has double the battery of an iphone inside it: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8222 but I don't think it works.. with a little hacking it will work, but I'm looking for something more waterproof, the phone and the charger could be left in the sun in a plastic baggie if needed, I could also rig up a lightweight external fixture on my bag for the charger/phone to be in.

Well, what do you guys think? good idea? bad idea?

rafe
09-11-2008, 05:25
I'll counter your question with another: Why post this question on a public forum? I mean that sincerely. You've stated your case clearly, and it sounds like you've made at least a tentative decision. Why would other people's opinions matter?

Are you unsure about whether it's worth the $35 a month? Nobody else can help you with that decision. Seriously, though, opinions with regard to cell phones on the trail are all over the map, and for some reason or another, their use (or non-use) on the trail turns out to be a very divisive topic, to this day.

I'm just sayin... it's a personal decision. Be aware that some folks really don't like seeing or hearing these gadgets on the trail, and will regard you as less of a hiker for taking it along.

fiddlehead
09-11-2008, 06:09
I appreciated the post a little more than Terrapin i guess.
I didn't realize you could do all of that with an Iphone.
I guess i figured $500 for a phone was so far out of my price range that i never looked into it.

I do know that eventually, the phone will be our connection to just about everything and we will all have great ones.

It does seem like a no-brainer to me if you already have the phone, the monthly package and can get a GPS put in there too. I have my doubt whether the GPS would be as good as a real one but hey, what do i know about an iphone? not much.

Don't worry about what people think as long as you respect their privacy and space.
I have often said that if was a difference between me taking a cell phone and using it to do my work on the trail vs. not hiking. Well, that's another no-brainer to me.

Enjoy your hike.
My buddy did the CDT last year with a pretty awesome solar charger that he raved about. I posted it somewhere on here a while back if you want to search for what kind, i don't remember. But, the CDT has lots of sun, the AT does not. But the charger he had could also charge things by putting some double AA batteries in there i believe. Would work in a pinch.

I'd make sure you could keep that thing dry as they cost too much to risk drowning it. (or are they waterproof too?)

Lone Wolf
09-11-2008, 06:16
iPhones are a great part of my everyday life, and thinking about cancelling my contract and paying 250 to NOT have a phone irks me, so I was thinking, if I can afford my 35 dollar a month bill with that money instead, why not take it?

3. it's got a good camera, so don't need one of those, and a ****load of memory on it
4. there is a project where you can download all of wikipedia to the phone, using about 1.5 gigs of space, but you have the worlds knowledge in your hands!
5. if I upgrade to a 3G I'd have a GPS! and there are appstore programs for compass, and much more
6. digitize all your maps and read them on it, with multitouch it's easy to zoom, and move the map around
7. typing on it is easy so I wouldn't really need a notebook, although I do love writing on real paper
8. there are now programs (dTunes) where you can download music for free over wifi, so when you get into a town, you can download all your music right from the device
9. I understand GSM coverage is hard to come by, but anywhere you get GSM coverage you don't have to pay for / be tied to a payphone, and if you can talk, you can pull anything from the interwebs, weather information, send e-mails to friends,

I found a charger CHEAP solar charger that has double the battery of an iphone inside it: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8222 but I don't think it works.. with a little hacking it will work, but I'm looking for something more waterproof, the phone and the charger could be left in the sun in a plastic baggie if needed, I could also rig up a lightweight external fixture on my bag for the charger/phone to be in.

hike with it. everybody does nowadays. except me. i don't own a cell phone

KG4FAM
09-11-2008, 06:27
Don't expect solar to be reliable. It takes a long time so when you do find a hole in the trees you will have to sit there forever. With that all of your everyday solutions are killed off. Use it for a phone in the woods and when you get to town use the bells and whistles.

jzakhar
09-11-2008, 10:09
Also. Chances are the iphone is like every other gps enabled phone. it requires cell tower service to work. it is not autonomous..

I carried a blackberry with me, decided against the iphone for many reasons, but the kicker was no removable battery

Frosty
09-11-2008, 10:25
Be aware that some folks really don't like seeing or hearing these gadgets on the trail, and will regard you as less of a hiker for taking it along.Yeah, and be aware that some folks on this site will go beserk if you hike the AT as a series of day hikes rather than carry a backpack, if you leave a shelter by a different path than you came in on, if you blue blaze around Blood, if you hike too many miles a day, if you carry a pack that is too light(or too heavy), or if you do ANY of the things THEY don't do.

These are only important considerations if your goal is to have everyone regard you as a "real" hiker. If you goal is merely to enjoy yourself, then you can strike off and hike any way you want with whatever gear you think will improve the quality and fun-factor of your hike.

The Solemates
09-11-2008, 13:31
if I can afford my 35 dollar a month bill

i'd like to know how you are getting a $35 per month rate....that cant be right...i have the cheapest plan you get and it is 50 per month for a normal cell phone...not even an iphone

Alligator
09-11-2008, 13:51
i'd like to know how you are getting a $35 per month rate....that cant be right...i have the cheapest plan you get and it is 50 per month for a normal cell phone...not even an iphoneI pay $30 a month with Sprint (200 minutes). Some companies have employee discounts through the wireless carrier, I've seen 15% from at two, Sprint and Verizon.

Sprint's basic plan at bottom (http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPlans?filterString=Individual_Plans_Filter&id12=UHP_PlansTab_Link_IndividualPlans) is $29.99 for 200 minutes.

earlyriser26
09-11-2008, 13:55
On the trail a cell phone (you know the ones you actually talk to people on) are great. This "Swiss army" device you want will run out of power soon after your first chapter of War and Peace or looking up advice for blisters. If you are a thru hiker and have a charger go for it. Otherwise when you need the phone it will likely be dead. Sun on the trail? Ha Ha Ha!

Footslogger
09-11-2008, 13:55
I pay $30 a month with Sprint (200 minutes). Some companies have employee discounts through the wireless carrier, I've seen 15% from at two, Sprint and Verizon.

Sprint's basic plan at bottom (http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPlans?filterString=Individual_Plans_Filter&id12=UHP_PlansTab_Link_IndividualPlans) is $29.99 for 200 minutes.
===========================

I'm at $39.99/month with Verizon and have one of the phones that has a full keyboard and supports internet e-mail.

'Slogger

Sleepy the Arab
09-11-2008, 14:09
If you take it, you miss the point.

Besides, the weight clearly equals that of two Snickers bars. King-sized Snickers bars.

Ender
09-11-2008, 15:00
If you take it, you miss the point.

Whose point? His point? My point? Oh, you mean your point.

Silly statement. So much for HYOH apparently.

If you want to bring the phone, bring it. However, others are right on that getting consistant enough direct sunlight will be very difficult once the folliage comes... they don't call it the green tunnel for nothing. And rainy days, of which you will see many, won't help either. So make sure you bring a real charger as well for use in town.

The Solemates
09-11-2008, 15:12
I pay $30 a month with Sprint (200 minutes). Some companies have employee discounts through the wireless carrier, I've seen 15% from at two, Sprint and Verizon.

===========================

I'm at $39.99/month with Verizon and have one of the phones that has a full keyboard and supports internet e-mail.

'Slogger

I must be getting ripped off. According to my verizon store, 500 minutes for $59.99 is the lowest plan they have. My wife and I share those minutes and we have add a line for $9.99, so I guess between the two of us its $37.50 per person when the fees are added, but my base is $60 for myself. One plus is that I've never had to pay for a phone.

Footslogger
09-11-2008, 16:02
I must be getting ripped off. According to my verizon store, 500 minutes for $59.99 is the lowest plan they have. My wife and I share those minutes and we have add a line for $9.99, so I guess between the two of us its $37.50 per person when the fees are added, but my base is $60 for myself. One plus is that I've never had to pay for a phone.
===============================

I've got the 400 minute contract. Contracts might vary in different markets but out here $39.99 is readily available. Now my wife is a different story. She has a crackberry cuz she needs access to MSOutlook at the university and pays a separate data component in her contract ...but then gets a university discount.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
09-11-2008, 16:04
I used to work for Verizon, and even with a nice employee discount, they couldn't beat AT&T's (formerly Cingular) family plan for our needs. So I dumped Verizon.

Alligator
09-11-2008, 16:06
===============================

I've got the 400 minute contract. Contracts might vary in different markets but out here $39.99 is readily available. Now my wife is a different story. She has a crackberry cuz she needs access to MSOutlook at the university and pays a separate data component in her contract ...but then gets a university discount.

'SloggerI want a crackberry:jump.

Footslogger
09-11-2008, 16:14
I used to work for Verizon, and even with a nice employee discount, they couldn't beat AT&T's (formerly Cingular) family plan for our needs. So I dumped Verizon.
=============================

That's funny ...because I went the other way - but not so much for rates. We moved out here from Atlanta and both had Cingular. I had a $29.99 contract that met all my needs but there is/was NO Cingular out here so I was always on roaming. This was also in my "pre-text messaging" days. Course I had a national plan so it didn't cost me anything for outbound calls so I kept the Cingular phone for a while so my kids and friends could call me without long distance charges. But over time my connection to the towers out here got so spotty that I had to give in. Verizon is the largest carrier out here so they got our business. We've both been very pleased with the service from Verizon here in Wyoming as well as when we travel.

'Slogger

Toolshed
09-11-2008, 21:04
Blackberry international here. unlimited calls unlimited data usage.
Corporate rate $64.99 plus 19% discount.
Before that, my old B-Berry was $39.95/month.

HikerRanky
09-11-2008, 21:13
Blackberry International, unlimited everything..... $44/month.... That with our corporate discount..... Helps when the corporation has about 28,000 customers.....

Nearly Normal
09-12-2008, 00:59

Not everybody.

Gaiter
09-12-2008, 02:14
despite its benefits, its not a cheap phone, hiking will nearly guarantee water damage, just from humidity alone...

rafe
09-12-2008, 07:03
despite its benefits, its not a cheap phone, hiking will nearly guarantee water damage, just from humidity alone...

I don't know if an iPhone is particularly vulnerable to water damage, but I can say from experience that this isn't a big issue for cell phones in general. A simple Ziploc bag does wonders... Works well on small cameras, also.

Alligator
09-12-2008, 10:41
Blackberry international here. unlimited calls unlimited data usage.
Corporate rate $64.99 plus 19% discount.
Before that, my old B-Berry was $39.95/month.

Blackberry International, unlimited everything..... $44/month.... That with our corporate discount..... Helps when the corporation has about 28,000 customers.....Which carriers on those $40-44 rates? Do you have to be a corporate client, meaning it doesn't have to be considered a work phone but you still get a discount?

HikerRanky
09-12-2008, 11:19
Which carriers on those $40-44 rates? Do you have to be a corporate client, meaning it doesn't have to be considered a work phone but you still get a discount?

In my case, it's from Verizon.... my employer buys it, but I can use it for personal use....

Dirty Harry
09-12-2008, 20:08
I had my Iphone on my 08 thru hike and it was great. ATAT service kinda sucks down south but other then that I was able to use full on html internet in my tent a hand full of times, infact I would go on whiteblaze, and trailjournals in my tent all the time. The Iphone Rocks!

hammer
09-14-2008, 11:24
I hiked a from dick's creek gap to Franklin, NC this spring with an I-phone.
I had no problems with it. I kept it off except when needed. The battery lasted OK.

I took all my pictures on the trail with it. It is an all around good choice with a lot of options if you choose to use them. I had OK reception.

If you have a cell signal it will pinpoint your location on a map.

It was of most use in the Trail towns.

Panzer1
09-14-2008, 12:33
One thing to consider before bringing a VERY expensive electronic device on the trail is whether it will survive a long hike. They are not really designed to live on the AT. Mostly you use them in air conditioned/heated houses, office or car. The trail is rough on electronic devices. one big way an iphone is different is the cost. If something bad happens to it, your out a lot more money then the cost of a ordinary cell phone.

Panzer

Panzer1
09-14-2008, 13:07

I hope you don't really "pirate" the ebooks. Buying them would be the better of the two choices.

Panzer

f8lranger4x4
09-14-2008, 15:16
Well all I can say is becareful with it 5 miles into our last section hike my brother cracked the screen on his voyager. I place mine In a waterproof hardcase along with my camera.

Rift Zone
09-14-2008, 16:46
If you take it, you miss the point.The new version does pick up GPS satellite signals. Even the old version could easily serve as a more powerful guidebook than any of them printed things you might have. It takes pictures! You can even put a third-party app on it to turn it into a voice recorder, spoken journals! rock'n!

The point is: I appreciate you point of view, spoken from the infrastructure rich bosom of the AT... But for those of us that don't always follow the footsteps of wingfoot, the iPhone is the finest electronic companion a trekker could have.

MagicSFK
09-14-2008, 20:07
...I guess i figured $500 for a phone was so far out of my price range that i never looked into it...

That's what I though initially too, but I recently got my iPhone3G for $199.

the goat
09-14-2008, 20:48
i'd never hike w/ one, but if you'll get that much use out of it & it won't drive you crazy; go for it.

Toolshed
09-16-2008, 19:15
Which carriers on those $40-44 rates? Do you have to be a corporate client, meaning it doesn't have to be considered a work phone but you still get a discount?
I have a Verizon international calling plan which was charges me something like $.25 per minute when I go to Western Europe. Unlimited worldwide data and US calling plan with a gadzoogle of minutes, so mine might be a little higher. We have about 32K employees in the US. More in the rest of the world. Still $64.99 is a pretty reasonable price.

<warning - Slightly Off Topic>
Cannot even begin to express how nice it is to travel around Europe with a internet capable Blackberry phone and my Garmin Map 76CSX with Europe NT Cities. Phenominal. No more long periods of prior planning. change plans on the fly and google where you want to go, plug it into the Garmin and door to door directions in a heartbeat. Including lodging, transport, food, pitstops, fuel, reststops. I have lived in Europe for a few years and go back every few years and this year was absolutely incredible with my gadgets!!!!

Spogatz
09-17-2008, 00:01
Iphone has crappy battery life. Thats reason enough not to take it along.

bearbag hanger
09-17-2008, 08:58
I'd recommend taking it. There isn't a lot of signal out there, but it gets better every year. When I hiked in southern Maine this year, I had signal (AT&T) most of the time.

Do find something a little better than a zip lock bag to carry it in and don't turn it on except when you need it. If you have the version with a GPS, find a program that will work when you don't have a signal. They can take a long time to acquire GPS signals, but it's better than carrying a separate, dedicated GPS. I wouldn't depend on the camera part, it takes too long to turn the thing on and you'll never have enough battery to keep in on all the time. Don't think even the best state of the art solar chargers will help you much.

No matter how careful you are, there is a 50/50 chance you'll need to replace it and no one is going to give you a new one under warrenty if it's soaking wet inside. You may be able to afford the monthly charges, but can you afford to replace it once or twice during a through hike?

nelisx
09-17-2008, 18:56
I have taken my iPhone on two, 3 day hikes. i have put it in airplane mode to save battery, and only take photos with it during the day, call out and browse the web at night. I have been able to make it last 3 days this way. If I had the means to charge it on the trail, I would consider it for a long hike for sure. There are even apps out specifically for hiking and tracking you via GPS, which is quite good, if you have the battery life. There are many reasons to take this phone on an outdoor adventure. Make sure you get all the cool free apps that will help you along. There are a lot of location based apps too, that will help you find the local stores & resturaunts in a pinch as well as many other useful apps. The only problem is battery life. We need a kinetic charger that charges stuff while we walk.

Sly
09-17-2008, 19:01

Land lines are practically obsolete, especially when you can now get a DSL line for internet without phone service. Of course, if you live in areas without cell service, you're kind of stuck. ;)

nelisx
09-17-2008, 19:15
Make your own solar usb charger (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/800000/solar_powered_usb_charger_cheap_and_easy_to_make/)

Lone Wolf
09-17-2008, 20:35
Land lines are practically obsolete, especially when you can now get a DSL line for internet without phone service. Of course, if you live in areas without cell service, you're kind of stuck. ;)

landlines are plentiful in and around trail towns on the AT

Chiaroscuro
09-26-2008, 15:31
Those who've hiked with Blackberry - how did they hold up in battery life? And were you able to recharge them on the trail? I looked at the I-phone G3 also, but they seem fragile.

Also, don't think I want recorded music and books on the trail. I might sing lustily, but that's another thing.

I am considering this issue also, since I must have a phone on the trail. Health reasons, not philosophical.

I also intend to carry as little weight as possible. Solio makes a really light solar charger, which I hope might work on the occasional day.

jzakhar
09-26-2008, 18:23
I brought 2 extended batteries with me. I also used a charger that accepted 2 double A's and transferred all their power into the BB. I was good with 4 double A's and my 2 batteries for about a week.

I was able to charge in every town.

Chiaroscuro
09-27-2008, 09:01
Many thanks.

Batteries weigh the earth, so I'll just give up something else.

ZZXF
09-27-2008, 11:17
What really kills the battery on a blackberry is searching for a signal. If you leave it off completely or turn off its wireless feature, the battery life is quite good. If you leave it on, the battery will drain in a day. Also, the newer ones have a spot for a memory card, so you could theoretically carry music or an audio book if you change your mind (although I have no idea what their sound is like -- I'm guessing low-ish quality, but don't know).

jzakhar
09-27-2008, 12:40
What really kills the battery on a blackberry is searching for a signal. If you leave it off completely or turn off its wireless feature, the battery life is quite good. If you leave it on, the battery will drain in a day. Also, the newer ones have a spot for a memory card, so you could theoretically carry music or an audio book if you change your mind (although I have no idea what their sound is like -- I'm guessing low-ish quality, but don't know).

I have a Verizon 8830. You are 100% right about searching for signal. You can put them in airplane mode and kill the cell beacon. Then battery life is much better.

The sound quality is pretty damn good. I did bring several gigs of music and video on a memory card. Used the mp3 player through the smokyes to sleep (too many snoring people my god!). Its not as loud as an iphone will play, but quality is pretty good.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-27-2008, 12:54

My son uses a solio charger for his IPOD and his blackberry. He used it at Mohave Viper in CA. for both and for the last 6 months for the Ipod in Iraq. There's a surfeit

Sly
09-27-2008, 13:13
My son uses a solio charger for his IPOD and his blackberry. He used it at Mohave Viper in CA. for both and for the last 6 months for the Ipod in Iraq. There's a surfeit

CA and Iraq have a lot more sun than the AT. I can't see a solar charger helping much in that trail, but in truth, I've never tried.

Flush2wice
09-27-2008, 14:10
Hiker talking on cell phone walks off cliff.
Story here:
http://www.ksrw.sierrawave.net/site/content/view/1331/48/

NICKTHEGREEK
09-27-2008, 14:22
CA and Iraq have a lot more sun than the AT. I can't see a solar charger helping much in that trail, but in truth, I've never tried.
I doubt that the trail is all that shady everywhere, but then I haven't walked the whole thing.

River Runner
09-28-2008, 00:12
I doubt that the trail is all that shady everywhere, but then I haven't walked the whole thing.

I know a lot of it is pretty darn shady once the trees come out in leaf. Plus the mountains themselves can shade quite a bit of the trail depending on which side you're on and what time of day it is.

thejackal
09-28-2008, 10:48
for anyone who plans on bringing an iphone (i'm considering), some pointers on extending battery life:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/07/extending_batte.html

thejackal
09-28-2008, 10:51
http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

nelisx
09-29-2008, 08:22
My iPhone died overnight searching for signal during my last trip. I usually put it in airplane mode during my hikes and only turn on the cell radio when we stop for lunch or to set up camp.

There are a multitude of usefull apps for the iphone on the trail, but they are all but useless without access to power.

I have not tried a solar charger yet on the AT, but here in VA, the trail is almost always under canopy and unless you are willing to stop in clearings, I cannot see a solar charger providing sufficient power to the device.

weary
10-08-2008, 18:38
My iPhone died overnight searching for signal during my last trip. I usually put it in airplane mode during my hikes and only turn on the cell radio when we stop for lunch or to set up camp.

There are a multitude of usefull apps for the iphone on the trail, but they are all but useless without access to power.

I have not tried a solar charger yet on the AT, but here in VA, the trail is almost always under canopy and unless you are willing to stop in clearings, I cannot see a solar charger providing sufficient power to the device.
My advice is to try a solar charger, and see for sure.

Weary

bobbyw
10-08-2008, 21:06
i'd like to know how you are getting a $35 per month rate....that cant be right...i have the cheapest plan you get and it is 50 per month for a normal cell phone...not even an iphone

turns out t-mobile gives out 34.99 1500 anytime minute plans right before christmas day to persuade customers in... plus when you jailbreak and unlock an iphone, you can use the 5.99 T-Zones data plan for all internet. technically it's 41 dollars a month, but what i was getting at, is the price is moot for the service.

bobbyw
10-08-2008, 21:24
also, I got a new job and now can not only afford the luxury of an underquilt for my hammock, I'm not thinking twice about getting a charger for my iphone. most people said that either it'll die or it'll break. it's no more fragile than a camera, so breaking isn't an issue, and i bought it refurb from AT&T as a gophone when they were ALL THE RAGE for 250, so price isn't a big deal either. for anyone who's interested, i found the 250 refurb iphone (when iphones were impossible to find in an apple/att store) on the website techbargains.com. charging isn't an issue because it's going to be a luxury item, i'm not going to be to be cooking my food with it. i'm a permanently attached solar charger on the exterior of my bag will get enough light on a cloudy, green tunnel day to charge the cell radio off, bluetooth off, wifi off, lowest brightness phone for a few days. plus, some dude contacted me about a "kinetic energy harvesting device" he's prototyping that would give enough power to power an iphone. so all i'd need to do is walk to power an iphone. i think there will be plenty of that.

Gaza
10-22-2008, 02:46
Hey man. I don't know exactly how an i-phone works because it's a sort of special contract. But I do know that Cancellation fee's for contracts as far as cell phone companies is concerned is illegal and easily avoidable if you call and argue your way out of it. There are some videos on youtube.com of how to do this. I knew a few people that were pissed about the spying from the NSA or whatever and they decided to cancel their AT&T contracts and they did it with no cancellation fee. Also Verizon has a massive class action law suit against them for Cancellation Fee's. It's sort of like a Speeding/Red Light Ticket from a Camera. They can't legally make you pay. They just hope you don't question it and easily pay up. Try and fight the fee.

SurferNerd
12-01-2008, 19:07
How to make it the best tool ever, solar charged, cheaper, waterproof, and easy!

So, a topic of iPhones. It was only time before it happened. Here's what I know, since I believe my iPhone will be my blogger, uploader, lifeline on the trail. Here's my phone: White iPhone 3G 16GB, I pay $129/month including tax. So I decided to bring my iPhone(refered to as phone now) on my AT 2009 NoBo trip.
This undertaking required several items: Power, Costs, Accessories, and Apps. Here's how my phone will become my Wifi Blogger, Weather Reports, Altimeter, GPS, First Aid Kit, Star Gazer, Moon phase predictor, Bible, Maps, Trail Guide Books, ATC Data Book, iPod, Email, Quick Camera, and oh ya a Phone.

Power: Since the iphone can charge via 5V or 12V power supplies, it opens the door to many options for generators. I've personally tested two in NC under trees, and direct light. The first is the almighty Solio. It provides adequate power at 12V to charge the iPhone twice from 10% to full. NEVER NEVER NEVER let the iPhone go completely dead, requires real power to bring it back to life. So the Solio did great, even under trees with a good cover. I had it 100% within 48hrs. Downfall:rainy days. My other option which I'll most likely take is the Hymini Green Charge System, 3 ways to charge:wind, solar, and handcrank. It weighs 12 ounces with all three pieces, BUT it gives rainy days a run with the crank, and it eats those winds on mountaintops. I found it to be great, but the battery only had enough juice to give my phone half a charge. Also, I purchased a Mophie Backup Battery. It slides unto phone, adds 16 hours of talk time on 2G Edge.

Costs: Everyone hates the prices from ATT, BUT I found a neat little program for us outdoor people. ATT offers a plan to users of phones who will be travelling within the country for a 4 month minimum, and will be using the phone primarily as an emergency device. BUT us iPhone users get data included as well. They drop the minutes to 300 a month, pay per text, no rollover, and unlimited data for $44.95 so no crazy fees for me.

Accessories: Solio Classic, iPhone 3G Solio adapter(released 12/1/08), Mophie Juice Pack, AquaPak. So this charges my phone, gives is extra battery, and keeps it waterproof.

Apps: I have installed apps to help me make it, an altimeter, weather, GPS Kit, Odometer, Bible, Star Gazing, Moon Phase, First Aid, ICE, and others. There are enough apps and perfect ways to make the phone great.

Hints:
*SHUT OFF THE 3G PERIOD! It uses 30% more battery, and its only available on 4 known places of the trail as of 2007.

*If have you have an older iPhone2G I hate you..just kidding. Look for the OtterBox Armor 2G. It's a waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, badass case for the older phones. They refuse to produce it for the 3G which is retarded.

*Turn it OFF, the iPhone will last 3 weeks off with 3hrs of talktime, and off when not in use according to MacRumor. If you only need to make outgoing check in calls, its perfect.

*Turn ON Airplane Mode when not using data. Saves a huge amount of power if you'd like to read the bible and not making calls.

take-a-knee
12-01-2008, 21:20
Why not hike with an I Phone? 'Cause you'll really be pissed when it gets soaking wet and doesn't work. This is a better choice:

http://www.casiogzone.com/home.aspx

rafe
12-01-2008, 21:45
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THE IPHONE OR BRINGING ONE PLEASE ASK ME, I've been working on this decision alone for a month now.

Wow, I thought I was anal....

SurferNerd
12-01-2008, 21:48
Why not hike with an I Phone? 'Cause you'll really be pissed when it gets soaking wet and doesn't work. This is a better choice:

http://www.casiogzone.com/home.aspx

Interestingly...I have a Casio G'zOne Boulder Orange sitting in a box in my closet, why you might ask? It has a broken screen, both of them. I thought the same thing when I got the phone, wow, amazing, great. Then it fell of a nightstand onto a concrete tile from a 24 inch ledge. Verizon's response, tough. My response, new carrier.:banana

SurferNerd
12-01-2008, 21:49
Wow, I thought I was anal....

Removed...

rafe
12-01-2008, 21:56
Removed...

Oh, no that's not the point at all... you don't get less anal by removing a part of your post. It doesn't work that way (nor was that my intent.)

Mind you, my comment was mostly in jest but partly out of admiration and awe -- I mean, I'm as good as the next guy for obsessing over picayune details of hiking gear and planning. But hey, when I was planning my thru, cell phones didn't exist, so thank gawd for small favors, at least.

rafe
12-01-2008, 22:03
Verizon's response, tough. My response, new carrier.:banana
That doesn't strike me as wise. You're not just buying a piece of gear, you're buying a network. I could care less about Verizon but the fact remains that their network is the broadest. From my P.O.V., the phone's just a piece of hardware, almost disposable -- you can buy one on ebay for cheap.

SurferNerd
12-01-2008, 23:58
That doesn't strike me as wise. You're not just buying a piece of gear, you're buying a network. I could care less about Verizon but the fact remains that their network is the broadest. From my P.O.V., the phone's just a piece of hardware, almost disposable -- you can buy one on ebay for cheap.

I'd rather not get into the details about why. But yes, I could have replaced the phone via eBay for $249.99. The problem was Verizon's support and demeanor on the issue. I had ATT back in 1999-2003 before it was bought by Cingular, and I never had issues with their customer service. The reality about ATT tho, its customers control it, not visa versa. Verizon locked down its phones so much that there were no options. This is why when the iPhone which was originally brought to Verizon's table was denied. It would open the door to free applications, and FREE is a word Verizon hates. I didn't just switch carriers because of the phone, it just happened to be the last straw. My entire family, my fiance, and all her family have Verizon, in fact, there is only 3 people in my contact list with ATT. But I chose who I want.

bobbyw
12-13-2008, 20:27
*If have you have an older iPhone2G I hate you..just kidding. Look for the OtterBox Armor 2G. It's a waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, badass case for the older phones. They refuse to produce it for the 3G which is retarded.

I just bought an otterbox armor 2g for my iphone for half price on amazon. It came in yesterday.

Sweet.

Frick Frack
12-13-2008, 22:14
Blackberry....not iPhone. You can take extra batteries with the Blackberry and you will need it with as much as you will use it. The GPS (on a phone)is worthless. You will toss the solar recharger b/c it will not work.

rusty075
12-14-2008, 02:10
If you're going to take a cellphone with you, the iPhone is actually a great choice.
The phone is surprisingly well-built. Mine has taken a bunch of abuse, including several drops from ear-height to the ground, with only small nicks and scratches to show for it. Yes, some people have cracked the glass, but I'd be willing to bet that most of those accidents would have damaged any phone. And the design is inherently well-suited to being out in dirt. The thing has a metal back and a thick glass front with only half a dozen openings for dirt or water to get into. Compare that to something like a blackberry that is plastic case with a plastic screen and 40+ buttons and switches all over it, each one an opening for moisture or grit to use to worm their way inside. And you can put the iphone in a waterproof, dustproof, dropproof case, and have it still be fully usable.

And ignore the people who say that a solar charger won't work because there's shade on AT, or because it'll be too heavy, or because a solar charger won't be powerful enough to keep something like an iphone charged:
-A solar charger works just fine in the shade. In full shade but on an otherwise sunny day my solar charger puts out about half the power it would in the sun. A reduction, sure, but still enough to be very useful. (that's also about the same effect that clouds have them)
-I have a solar charger that I built to keep my electronic gizmo's charged on long hikes. It is powerful enough to keep my iphone charged indefinitely during hiking usage, and it weighs in at a tick over 2 ounces. The charger doesn't have to be big, for two reasons: One, the battery in a cellphone doesn't have that much capacity. The iphone battery is 1400mAh - about the same as a typical AAA. And Two, you only have to recharge as much in a day as you discharged in that day. A phone that is only turned on to make a call home once a day or to type a journal entry in the evening will only need to be "topped up" by the solar charger during the following day's recharge. Even if it's a really long home call home you're only talking about replenishing a couple of hundred milliamp-hours over the course of an entire day of sunshine. You could do that with a solar cell the size of a postage stamp.

Bare Bear
12-14-2008, 10:53
It makes it hard to hear the rattlesnake warning you that you are about to get bit for stepping on him.

MOWGLI
12-14-2008, 10:56
I own an iPhone. The battery isn't nearly efficient enough to last a single day on the trail - much less 3-4 days between towns. I love the phone, but it doesn't go into the woods with me - unless I'm coming out in a few hours. And then... it usually is either powered off or in a case on my hip.

SurferNerd
12-14-2008, 12:12
That's awesome, I'd buy it myself if they made it for the 3G.

I just bought an otterbox armor 2g for my iphone for half price on amazon. It came in yesterday.

Sweet.

Have you heard of a Mophie? It's an extended battery that gives the iPhone 3 times its battery life, weighs 4 ounces, and I only have to charge everything with one plug, I don't have to switch batteries..I tossed the Solio already, solar sucked. I'm bringing maps, even though the GPS sucks, it still reads my LAT LON lines, and thats all I need to plot my location.

Blackberry....not iPhone. You can take extra batteries with the Blackberry and you will need it with as much as you will use it. The GPS (on a phone)is worthless. You will toss the solar recharger b/c it will not work.

Sadly, consider turning off the 3G, it makes a whopping 50% improvement. And if you know the trail isn't 100% covered in signal, the phone will spend more energy trying to connect to the server, than if you just shut it off when not needing to call. Voicemail was invented..

I own an iPhone. The battery isn't nearly efficient enough to last a single day on the trail - much less 3-4 days between towns. I love the phone, but it doesn't go into the woods with me - unless I'm coming out in a few hours. And then... it usually is either powered off or in a case on my hip.

Good thinking, I've dropped mine a few times, no damage at all in the incase slider case. I will say I hate the touch screen when its cold and you cant touch it through the gloves. I did take my Solio back tho, it was horrible. I got a Hymini instead. I can charge via solar, via wind, or via crank. It's cheaper $70, and it weighs about the same as the magnesium Solio. Much better option when you cant guarantee rainy days. But I agree, its an awesome phone.

If you're going to take a cellphone with you, the iPhone is actually a great choice.
The phone is surprisingly well-built. Mine has taken a bunch of abuse, including several drops from ear-height to the ground, with only small nicks and scratches to show for it. Yes, some people have cracked the glass, but I'd be willing to bet that most of those accidents would have damaged any phone. And the design is inherently well-suited to being out in dirt. The thing has a metal back and a thick glass front with only half a dozen openings for dirt or water to get into. Compare that to something like a blackberry that is plastic case with a plastic screen and 40+ buttons and switches all over it, each one an opening for moisture or grit to use to worm their way inside. And you can put the iphone in a waterproof, dustproof, dropproof case, and have it still be fully usable.

And ignore the people who say that a solar charger won't work because there's shade on AT, or because it'll be too heavy, or because a solar charger won't be powerful enough to keep something like an iphone charged:
-A solar charger works just fine in the shade. In full shade but on an otherwise sunny day my solar charger puts out about half the power it would in the sun. A reduction, sure, but still enough to be very useful. (that's also about the same effect that clouds have them)
-I have a solar charger that I built to keep my electronic gizmo's charged on long hikes. It is powerful enough to keep my iphone charged indefinitely during hiking usage, and it weighs in at a tick over 2 ounces. The charger doesn't have to be big, for two reasons: One, the battery in a cellphone doesn't have that much capacity. The iphone battery is 1400mAh - about the same as a typical AAA. And Two, you only have to recharge as much in a day as you discharged in that day. A phone that is only turned on to make a call home once a day or to type a journal entry in the evening will only need to be "topped up" by the solar charger during the following day's recharge. Even if it's a really long home call home you're only talking about replenishing a couple of hundred milliamp-hours over the course of an entire day of sunshine. You could do that with a solar cell the size of a postage stamp.

catfishrivers
12-14-2008, 13:08

That's awesome that you built your own solar charger. How do you charge it? Do you stop and position the charger, or is it fixed to your pack or something and you just allow what sunlight that can reach it to do what it can? I'd love to read more about how you built your own too, very nifty.

rusty075
12-14-2008, 16:36
That's awesome that you built your own solar charger. How do you charge it? Do you stop and position the charger, or is it fixed to your pack or something and you just allow what sunlight that can reach it to do what it can? I'd love to read more about how you built your own too, very nifty.

It's actually pretty simple. I combined a Silicon Solar 4AA (http://www.siliconsolar.com/flexible-solar-battery-charger-sollite4aa-p-16199.html) with a Mintyboost (http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/) kit. The batteries and the little mintyboost PCB board went into a little sealed plastic box with a hole cut for the USB socket. The solar panel attaches to the box by way of a plug and socket scavenged from a headphone extension cord. The battery box goes in the top lid of my pack, and the solar panel gets velcro'd to the top. The panel itself is only about the size of your hand, and it's flexible and waterproof so there's not much to worry about really. Over the course of the day's walk the AA's soak up the juice, and then at night if I've used the iphone to type a journal entry or listen to some music after dinner I'll plug it into the battery box for a few minutes to top it off.

I'll try to dig up some pictures of the contraption.

It works well for the way that I personally use the phone while in the woods - completely off 95% of the time, and turned on only when needed. If you were using the phone all day to listen to music or left it on all day searching for a signal this charger probably wouldn't keep up, and after a few days both the phone and the AA's would be dead. But for an evening journal entry, GPS check-in, phone call home, or a bit of in-the-tent music time, it has a nice utility/weight ratio, for me at least.

fonsie
12-14-2008, 18:41
I am at a AT shelter now using my 3G I phone. I paid 299 for mine a few months ago and I love the 16 gig memory. GPS works with no service I can check weather news and even have aol radio to where I can stream music. The 8gig 3G is 199, the 16gig is 299. Like I said I'm on the at now.

snaplok
12-15-2008, 16:56
Blackberry International, unlimited everything..... $44/month.... That with our corporate discount..... Helps when the corporation has about 28,000 customers.....
I like my BB Curve for things like GPS, web, instant messenger, and music. But I usually take my PSP with me for more music and it's video capabilities. I've gotten some looks with it on the trail til someone sees me watching Iron Man on it and wants to watch too. And those memory cards weigh nothing so you can load one for music and one for video. Helps keep me for getting bored at night if I can sleep and entertains whoever I'm with.

fonsie
12-15-2008, 20:34
Yep you can watch movies on the iPhone to. Without the extra wieght of a psp.

BitBucket
12-15-2008, 23:22
I took mine (iPhone 3G 16GB) along the hills of GA with an InCase PowerSlider Case that doubles as an external battery/case. More than doubles the available battery life on the phone. Had pretty descent service...the GPS was reasonably accurate and the maps were OK, phone camera not too shabby to quickly capture a picture and upload it to the web using the .Mac/Mobile Me service from Apple.

Email generally worked well enough to stay connected with the office (boo/hiss). SMS worked where ever there was a cell connection. GPS worked well except under heavy cover.

Had 2800 songs, 3 movies, lots of podcasts, 35 apps like WB web site, and Bill Bryson's book a Walk in the Woods along to keep company, Funny how when you came to things it was sorta like what he was describing in the book

My HP camera didn't fare so well. Put it in my dry pocket on my Marmot Precipt and it filled up with water soaking the camera...the pocket did not leak, it held water well.

Phone quality was in/out as we climbed the hllls. Put mine in a Ziplock sandwich bag to keep dry

At $299 + $40/mo for full service (1100min & unlimited data), its a bit pricey but it beats that crap out of a crackberry.

iPhone is a good choice IMHO...

Lucy Lulu
12-22-2008, 18:51
I used a BB Curve and BB on the two long distance hikes. I used one for each hike, and had no problems with them breaking, condensation, etc.

For the most part, I only turned them on when journaling in the evenings, or using the phone in towns. The battery would last around 3 days with this limited use. I enjoyed the fact that I could send journal entries, with a picture attached, and update the journal site I used directly, without needing someone to cut and paste them.

I used a Solio charger in S.Cal, but it took 2-3 days of full sun to get a full charge, so after the southern deserts it was not very useful. It was actually easier (and lighter) just to carry a back-up battery.

Freeze
12-22-2008, 19:52
I'm taking my cell to talk to my wife every night if service available. That's what works for us. I usually walk a bit away from the shelters not to bother anyone. That said, I don't think I've ran into someone out there in the last 3 years not carrying a cell phone or a digital camera.

SurferNerd
12-23-2008, 13:38
I used a BB Curve and BB on the two long distance hikes. I used one for each hike, and had no problems with them breaking, condensation, etc.

For the most part, I only turned them on when journaling in the evenings, or using the phone in towns. The battery would last around 3 days with this limited use. I enjoyed the fact that I could send journal entries, with a picture attached, and update the journal site I used directly, without needing someone to cut and paste them.

I used a Solio charger in S.Cal, but it took 2-3 days of full sun to get a full charge, so after the southern deserts it was not very useful. It was actually easier (and lighter) just to carry a back-up battery.

I agree, the Solio is pointless unless your sitting on a sunny beach, haha. I gave in, just bought a mophie juice pack. The journal thing excites me, I can't wait to be able to post from the phone to update the world.

bobbyw
02-02-2009, 20:39
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18881 1.5 ounce solar charger with built in battery and iphone data port? 18 dollars shipped.

rusty075
02-02-2009, 21:52
Good timing! USPS just delivered one of these to my door today:Solicharger (http://www.sollight.com/products/solicharger.cfm) Certainly looks like the exact same thing. I'll post a review once I've had a couple of days to play with it.

BitBucket
02-02-2009, 22:29
My iPhone 3G worked great in GA. I had a good enough ATT signal to send/receive email, upload photos to my iWeb site, and surf the web at least 2-3 times a day. The built-in GPS worked well.

Put it in a zip lock bag and you should have no problem even in pouring rain.

Zia
02-02-2009, 22:40
i'll be taking my iphone and three ipods on my thru this year. I love em.

KG4FAM
02-03-2009, 14:41
i'll be taking my iphone and three ipods on my thru this year. I love em.
So why three?

That sounds like it will be a mess when you pull into town and charge it all up.

JF2CBR
02-04-2009, 09:27
There are solar charges that also have a crank on them to hand power your stuff, you may be there awhile, for an iphone, but it would charge it with no sun.

neo
02-04-2009, 10:21
:)i really like my blackberry:cool:neo

lizzieGAME09
02-09-2009, 18:34
Have any of you used your iPhone to update trailjournals.com? How did you do it? Were you able to figure out a way to post pictures from your iphone to the site?

I want to type up my journal but I don't want to kill the battery by being online the whole time I write it up. So I'm trying to figure out a way to type the journals and then paste them into trailjournals when I get coverage.

Advice? Know any good apps?

KG4FAM
02-09-2009, 18:36
I am pretty sure you can't do it with trailjournals.

Postholer.com accepts email updates and email picture uploads so that is the site that you would have to use.

catfishrivers
02-09-2009, 18:45
wordpress also offers a free iPhone app that let's you write a blog entry and upload pictures. That's what I am using.

rusty075
02-09-2009, 19:35
Have any of you used your iPhone to update trailjournals.com? How did you do it? Were you able to figure out a way to post pictures from your iphone to the site?

The only solution I have come up with is to write the entries as emails. While on-trail I leave the phone in Airplane mode and just let the entries stack up in the Outbox. Once you get someplace with a signal I turn the data back on and let the emails be sent to a transcriber who copy/pastes them onto trailjournals. You could also just email them to yourself and them copy/paste onto your journal from a computer.

But yeah, as KG4FAM and Catfishrivers have pointed out, Trailjournals.com is about a decade behind the whole "Web 2.0", and there seems to be essentially no active development in that direction.

I hunted for a way to automate the process - write a script where you could send an email to a designated address and have the script parse it and create a trailjournal entry, but something like that is beyond my abilities. :-?

YoungMoose
02-09-2009, 19:55
i wouldnt use it. If anything i would bring a regular phone. the iphone the screen can easily crack as well as being expensive

Just Jack
02-10-2009, 00:09
I am looking for a BB, iphone, pocket mail --whatever-- to stay in touch and journal from the PCT this year. This is probably same song, 50th verse, but as I am very stupid when it comes to these "thingamajigs",

Just Jack
02-10-2009, 00:14
Damn--mashed the wrong button. Was trying to ask if one of you could sum up what might be the best application . Could you give 2-3 units to look at? Think a charger will work on the PCT. Looks like the journal will have to go to Postholer. Wish I was as up to date on this technology as you folks are. Thanks for the help.

partinj
02-10-2009, 00:37
Why

Dental_FlossTycoon
02-16-2009, 10:46
I noticed that Mophie's iPhone 3G Juice Pack Air is about to be released. Doubles, or possibly triples the battery time. No clue on the weight of the thing, but can't be that heavy can it if the iPhone fans are going to buy it?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/09/mophies-iphone-3g-juice-pack-unboxed-and-tested-high-marks-all/

and more about it:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/11/mophies-juice-pack-air-worlds-thinnest-iphone-3g-battery-ca/

With the ability to use your iPhone as any of the following:

-Weather Forecaster
-Communicater with outside world
-GPS Location auto-updater
-Trail Map Finder
-Research whether that Trail Store is ripping you off finder.
-Edible Plant researching
-Arguing with your friend about whether that mushroom is poisonous decider
-Emergency Device to find the nearest hospital for when your friend didn't believe Wikipedia on that mushroom and to look up antidotes online for him to eat.
-Beer store finder/ All you can eat restaurant finder
-Journal Updater
-Many others

National Geographic "Adventure" has a pretty good short list, although there are plenty more.

http://ngadventure.typepad.com/blog/2009/02/the-adventure-life-with-steve-casimiro-25-top-outdoors-iphone-apps.html

Dental_FlossTycoon
02-16-2009, 11:33
take-a-knee: Please explain why you think that's a better choice?
Off the top of my head, iPhone has an hour longer Talk time, Huge screen and instead of using a WAP browser, actually views web pages properly, data transfer is better on the 3G network too.
The Casio is 1 oz less, and although it is "water resistant" there are 1 oz cases that weatherproof the iPhones and act as storage. Can you imagine trying to type a journal entry onto that Casio Gzone? With use of Gmail and over 1000 applications I'd say the iPhone works for thru hiking much better than a WAP browser based phone. The Gzone would work for day trips and hikes or a construction site though very well I must say, the iPhone in my opinion wins out.

p.s. I don't even own an iPhone, but have a Blackberry Curve and love that too.

SurferNerd
03-02-2009, 01:49
Just for sake of discussion, I owned a Casio G'zOne Boulder, and so did my fiance. I dropped my plastic MacBook on it from a nightstand, distance of less than 2 feet. It shattered the screen entirely, BOTH of them. Casio's phone was crap. My fiance's G'zOne Boulder like mine, but longer lasting, was so buggy she took it back after two months. The darn phone reset on random, losing contacts, etc. It would drop calls, sounded like talking thru plastic. It was horrible..so we both went to Apple, bought iPhones..haven't turned back since..

take-a-knee: Please explain why you think that's a better choice?
Off the top of my head, iPhone has an hour longer Talk time, Huge screen and instead of using a WAP browser, actually views web pages properly, data transfer is better on the 3G network too.
The Casio is 1 oz less, and although it is "water resistant" there are 1 oz cases that weatherproof the iPhones and act as storage. Can you imagine trying to type a journal entry onto that Casio Gzone? With use of Gmail and over 1000 applications I'd say the iPhone works for thru hiking much better than a WAP browser based phone. The Gzone would work for day trips and hikes or a construction site though very well I must say, the iPhone in my opinion wins out.

p.s. I don't even own an iPhone, but have a Blackberry Curve and love that too.

HeartFire
03-11-2009, 16:07
No, the new i phones are genuinely GPS capable, (via GPS satellites) not via cell towers.

iphones are the most fantastic thing in the world! I just love mine and carry it when hiking. The biggest problem is that it's on ATT not Verizon which has wider coverage.

Also. Chances are the iphone is like every other gps enabled phone. it requires cell tower service to work. it is not autonomous..

I carried a blackberry with me, decided against the iphone for many reasons, but the kicker was no removable battery

Dental_FlossTycoon
03-13-2009, 15:43
Well that's debatable about the coverage, even though they say they are bigger, the signal strength is one arguement, and the agreements with smaller cell companies with AT&T and Verizon is different depending upon which state you're in.
When it comes to better coverage, in Northern Virginia it may be Verizon, but in Southwestern Virginia, it's AT&T.

If I were to just guess for the entire trail, that Verizon has about 5% more coverage over AT&T.

I would like the option to choose different carriers though.

bobbyw
03-15-2009, 12:29
http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f126/22320.htm

USGS Topos in Maps, without service. With a 3g it's a perfect GPS.

High Life
03-15-2009, 12:44
i brought my iphone out in 2008 from harpers to maine
its great to update your trail journals and upload photos
to flickr and trail journals , however you gotta to be very careful of dust, dirty
and especially moisture .. if its raining a lot its very hard to keep dry

bobbyw
03-15-2009, 17:16
http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/
Minty boost, incredibly efficient low cost AA charger.

Also, the applications "trails" allows you to import GPX files, and download the maps, then cache them so you can view them offline.

Here are multi GPX files for the entire trail:
http://guymott.com/atgps.html