PDA

View Full Version : Canon A590 IS at a great price

Lyle
09-11-2008, 01:25
If you are looking for a compact digital camera that has received GREAT reviews, uses AA batteries, and is on sale check this out. It has real Image Stabilization, full manual controls (or fully automatic), plenty of accessories if you want them (add-on external flash, telephoto lens, wide angle lens, etc.)

This isn't the smallest or lightest, but not bad. 6oz +/- without battery or memory card.

Final Paragraph from Steve's Digicam review:

Bottom Line - Much like the A570 IS, the Canon PowerShot A590 IS is an excellent compact digital camera. With an 8-megapixel imaging sensor, 4x optical image stabilized zoom lens and shooting modes that include auto, manual and everything in between, this is a camera that anyone will be able to use and enjoy. With all of the features, performance and quality from this camera it is an excellent choice and highly recommended with a street price of US$179 or less.

Full review here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_a590is.html

Also check out DCRP Review here, another positive from a respected site:

If you're looking for a budget camera that takes great pictures, and has all the features you could possibly desire (without too many gimmicks), then the Canon PowerShot A590 IS is absolutely worth a look. The only people that I'd caution are those who take a lot of movies or long exposures -- you might want to find a camera with a 30 fps frame rate and better low light noise performance (respectively) instead.

Full review here:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a590-review/

And finally, check out this deal from Amazon. Camera with 4 NiMH reghargable batteries (camera takes 2) with charger for only $139.00. Free shipping if you are a Prime member.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-A590IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B0011ZCDKS

I just ordered this for myself. I have been very unhappy with the quality of photos from my Olympus Stylus 600. This should be a great step up, and full manual controls!

fiddlehead
09-11-2008, 01:57
I have the A570 and it is a good camera. I like it.
BUT, i do think it is a little heavy for backpacking.
especially with all the options out there today.
If i was going on a thru, i would take my Nikon Coolpix.
The one i have is only 3 megapix so the pics aren't as good but that's cause it's 3 years old. I imagine they have a better one out now at the same size?

Anyway, not complaining about the camera or the price, just the weight.

Lyle
09-11-2008, 02:19
I haven't found any others with as good of reviews. Especially that included real image stabilization (not just increasing the ISO) along with manual control and at this price. I learned my lesson with the Olympus as far as trusting name brand and assuming they all got good pictures. For me a couple extra oz will be well worth it. I've even considered taking my dSLR, but will try this first.

mudhead
09-11-2008, 07:33
Nikon Coolpix.
The one i have is only 3 megapix so the pics aren't as good but that's cause it's 3 years old. I imagine they have a better one out now at the same size?

Anyway, not complaining about the camera or the price, just the weight.

Yes. I love being a late adopter. Do without forever and then wonder why I waited.

That Canon does an awful lot for the $.

Lilred
09-11-2008, 16:02
Sears in nashville is having a clearance on cameras. May be going on at other Sears as well. My husband just got a $200 camera for $45. Check em out

Footslogger
09-11-2008, 16:25
I looked at the 570 but ended up going with the 720 instead. Prices are dropping on all the models and the 2 things that sold me on the 720 were that it runs on 2 - AA batteries and it has 6X optical zoom - - which really makes a difference when shooting distant landscapes.

'Slogger