PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Advice

HeadiesHiker11
09-11-2008, 10:47
This weekend i will be doing a short section from 19E to Carvers Gap. I am wondering if my 50 degree bag will be enough. The weather says the lows will be around there but im thinking i will be fine. Any Advice?

Also what is the temperature difference in a tent, outside v.s. inside

rafe
09-11-2008, 11:07
Carry a spare, clean base layer (just in case) and you'll be fine. Generally speaking a smallish tent will add maybe 5*F to the temperature inside the tent. (Rough SWAG.) Less if there's a lot of wind.

Mocs123
09-11-2008, 13:33
If it will really keep you warm at 50* you would probably be fine, especially if you are staying at one of the "lower" (relative) elevations of that section like Overmountian Shelter. I would expect temperatures to be anywhere from 45-55* this time of year, but you never know. I had one night this year hit 38* at a 5000ft campsite near Mt. Rogers in mid-August.

BTW- have fun, that is a great section.

Blissful
09-11-2008, 14:12
But humidity etc can make it feel a lot colder.

I would go 40 degree. Or bring a liner.

HeadiesHiker11
09-11-2008, 17:57
I think i will stick with the bag and just bring along a thermal top. And yes it can turn cold. The same time last year at the overmountain i woke up and there was frost on the ground, but the frost added a nice touch to the sunrise in the valley.

stranger
09-11-2008, 20:39
The conditions and your personal physical characteristics will have much more to do with you staying warm than your sleeping bag. A solo double walled tent with a fly that extends to the ground will add quite a bit of warmth, mainly due to blocking wind and what not, but airy single wall tents and tarps don't do much in my experience when it comes to warmth. This can be an advantage as you will get less condensation, but obviously bad if you are cold.

Bring a wool or fleece hat, that can make the biggest difference sometimes.

BookBurner
09-12-2008, 18:59
A timely query! Just this week I wondered about the temperature differential created by my shelter. In search of an answer, I measured a 3 degree difference between the temp inside my tarptent (37*) and the temp outside (34*). I agree with Terrapin in that a full-sided tent would probably bump that differential up another few degrees.

Blissful
09-12-2008, 19:36
I didn't realize you were going this weekend, 50 degree would probably be fine, next week though it's gonna get cooler.

daddytwosticks
09-13-2008, 14:28
Hey BookBurner, a 3 degree difference, inside and outside of a Tarptent sounds dead on. My Contrail is pretty breezy! You must not have been in the Atlanta area to see temperatures that low this week.

rafe
09-13-2008, 14:57
I measured a 3 degree difference between the temp inside my tarptent (37*) and the temp outside (34*). I agree with Terrapin in that a full-sided tent would probably bump that differential up another few degrees.

Actually, I would expect that a smaller tent would keep you warmer than a larger one -- less surface area, and smaller volume to keep warm. The heat source, of course, is you. ;)

glanton04
09-22-2008, 18:59
Bring a light thermal top and maybe bottoms and you should be fine.