PDA

View Full Version : tarptent Contrail Vs. Rainbow

gonewalkabout
09-11-2008, 10:57
I am atemtping to thruhike NOBO in 09 and would like some feed back on Herny Shires COntrail and Rainbow. I know a few people who have used the rainbow and like it but none that have used the contrail on a thruhike. I wouldapreacitate info from all but espeacily from those who have done a LD trail with either. The pros and cons as I see them.

Rainbow
Pro can be free standing (also uses less stakes in that mode)
more interior space (I think)
con its half a Lb heavier which I feel is a lot to carry for 2000 miles

Contrail

Pro lighter by 8 oz
Cons not free standing

I probaly sleep in shelters when I can as I like to save the setup and take down time.

Thanks

julian
09-12-2008, 16:29
I have to give a disclaimer that I've never used the Rainbow, but I own a Contrail that I've used on the JMT out here in CA and will be using it for my PCT thru-hike this coming April.

The only time I've *ever* had an issue with the non-freestanding nature of the Contrail was on the Lost Coast Trail out here in northern California this past weekend, but that was because I attempted to set it up in pure, deep, soft sand and it was impossible to get the stakes to stay in place even with rocks. Given that you won't be on the beach anywhere on an AT hike, I'd say go for the Contrail without hesitation. It really is an amazing tent. I'm 6' tall and find that I have plenty of room inside for myself, my bag and some clothes lying around drying near my feet.

Quoddy
09-12-2008, 17:25
I've owned and used both and right upfront I'll state that I'm a Contrail fan. I use ultra light hiking sticks, so I have the necessary adjustable pole. It takes me under 70 seconds to set up the Contrail, and I've done it in conditions that were far from perfect. I've never had a problem, of any sort, due to weather and have used it on stretches of 30 days or more. I'm 6'1" and weight 190 and the size is almost perfect for me.

I found that the only advantage that the Rainbow had was a slightly larger size that I didn't particularly need. Since it was heavier (actually more than 1/2 pound... closer to 3/4) and took much longer to put up, I eventually stopped using it and sold it.

bigcranky
09-12-2008, 21:25
I have not used either of these solo tents. However, I have owned and used the Rainshadow (3-person similar style to Contrail) and the Squall (2-person version) and recently bought and hiked with a Double Rainbow.

I greatly prefer the side opening door(s) of the Rainbow over the head-end tunnel opening of the Squall and Rainshadow (and presumably the Contrail, too.) It provides a better view, better ventilation, more and easier gear storage, and much easier entry and exit. Especially in the rain, when the front beak is deployed, I found it difficult to get in and out of our Rainshadow -- one essentially has to low-crawl under the beak, over any gear stored in the vestibule, and through whatever mud and puddles are at the entrance to the tent. (This is, BTW, the *only* downside I ever found in 4 years of owning the Rainshadow. Otherwise it is one awesome tent.)

I like the Double Rainbow enough that I'll use it as a solo tent, too, especially in the winter. The extra door is worth the extra half pound over the solo Rainbow (though maybe not the whole pound over the Contrail.) The extra door means more ventilation and more covered storage space, which is a plus.

If I had to choose one of the solo versions, I suspect I'd go with the Rainbow just for the extra creature comforts. (I can't believe I'm writing this. The Ultralight Union is going to take away my membership card. Oh well.)

Marta
09-12-2008, 21:36
I haven't owned either the Rainbow or the Contrail, but I am still using a Virga I, which is a lot like the Contrail. The Rainbow is pretty nifty-looking, with some really nice features, but...for me, for a long hike, the lighter weight would always trump the cute features.

rafe
09-12-2008, 22:48
Can't speak for the Contrail, but the Rainbow is a nifty tent. Goes up in a flash, with loads of interior room -- both floor space and headroom. Having spent years with a small solo backpacking tent, the Rainbow feels palatial.

tta.boro
10-06-2008, 13:39
I too am considering the contrail and rainbow. I was wondering if anyone has used these in light snow or sleet and if the 3+ season rainbow had any advantage over the contrail in this situation?

Thanks!

CherrypieScout
10-06-2008, 14:19
How about condensation?

Cool AT Breeze
10-06-2008, 14:29
I used the contrail in snow. It sheds snow well except over your feet. I ended up sleeping with my head at that end and knocking the snow off when it started sagging on my face. No real problems. This tent is the bomb.

Haiku
10-06-2008, 22:23
I've used the Rainbow on the PCT and CDT, and I love it. I've only slept in a Virga (similar to the Contrail) once. Yes, it's a little heavier. It's palatial - I can sit upright over nearly the entire length of the tent, not just one one section by the door. I often fit two people in it, though admittedly that was pretty close quarters, but it does fit two sleeping pads side by side (yes, I'm talking about the *single* Rainbow, not the double).

The fact that the Rainbow is freestanding is overrated, I think. Everyone seems to go on about it, but in the 4,000+ miles I used the Rainbow I only ever set it up freestanding about 3 times.

Haiku.

RedneckRye
10-07-2008, 00:38
What are the differences between the single and double Rainbows? A friend of a friend has one of each and is selling them for $75 each. I've used a Wanderlust Nomad Lite for years and am considering going heavier for more space.
I'm not really an ultralite guy, but a lighter tent allows me to carry more consumables (cheese, chocolate, bourbon, etc.) and good consumables are what makes life worth living.

bigcranky
10-07-2008, 06:59
Double Rainbow has two doors and two vestibules, and is maybe a foot wider.

Dogwood
10-07-2008, 14:26
I am atemtping to thruhike NOBO in 09 and would like some feed back on Herny Shires COntrail and Rainbow. I know a few people who have used the rainbow and like it but none that have used the contrail on a thruhike. I wouldapreacitate info from all but espeacily from those who have done a LD trail with either. The pros and cons as I see them.

Rainbow
Pro can be free standing (also uses less stakes in that mode)
more interior space (I think)
con its half a Lb heavier which I feel is a lot to carry for 2000 miles

Contrail

Pro lighter by 8 oz
Cons not free standing

I probaly sleep in shelters when I can as I like to save the setup and take down time.

Thanks

U have already received a lot of good feedback on both models and I tend to agree with all that has been said. I have used both models. Whatever shelter U decide on, if at all possible, see it firsthand set up, lay down in it, stow your gear in it, move around in it, imagine yourself living in it for 4-5 months in rain, cold, wind etc. This way U can avoid a lot of surprises after U have paid for it and U R on the trail with it. And, BEFORE U get going on your thru-hike make sure U familarize yourself with your new home by erecting it and sleeping in it. And, if U R primarally going to use it on the AT I wouldn't get overly concerned about whether or not a tent is freestanding.