PDA

View Full Version : Even lighter & cheaper 1 oz inflatable backpacking pillow

StoveStomper
03-12-2004, 16:49
I was pokeing around Wal-Mart at lunch today and found the kid's pool toys are already out. It's
Spring here on the Gulf Coast.
They had new sets of kid's water wings for 88 cents.

I made two new inflatable 1.0 oz. (on my digital scale) backpacking pillows from them.
44 cents each! The 'old' ones I made cost 50 cents. Man, I'm saving money. ;-)
Comfy as all get out!

http://www.datasync.com/~wksmith/pillow.html

Cheers,
StoveStomper

gravityman
03-12-2004, 17:46
Which of the 2 would you say were more comfortable? The walmart ones look like they might fold in around your head?

Anyway, only have walmart around since kmart closed their stores... The wings that I found at target were too high end - they were a continuous loop of air, so I wouldn't have been able to cut it to lay flat.

Gravity man

StoveStomper
03-12-2004, 17:52
Which of the 2 would you say were more comfortable? The walmart ones look like they might fold in around your head?

Anyway, only have walmart around since kmart closed their stores... The wings that I found at target were too high end - they were a continuous loop of air, so I wouldn't have been able to cut it to lay flat.

Gravity man
I have used the 'old' Kmart pillow all last year and it was very comfy.
The Wal-Mart pillow seems to hold the head better and will not slide away during the night. Personal preference.

tlbj6142
03-12-2004, 22:56
Do you wrap them in a sock or something? I would think your face would stick to them on warmer nighters.

Happy
03-12-2004, 23:13
Up until my last hike I carried a 2 OZ airline pillow which I have been pleased with...prior to that I used my silnylon stuff sacks with clothes which I was not pleased with...so know I just use my WM Flight Jacket in the winter and my Marmot Dryclime in the summer, both unfolded in the sleeping bag hood with much better results than my previous choices...and save 2 OZ!