PDA

View Full Version : Most epic part of the Georgia trail?

MikeG
09-11-2008, 13:58
What do you guys think the most epic, awe inspirering part of the georgia trail is? Be it a mountain summit, waterfall, valley, whatever.

MOWGLI
09-11-2008, 14:01
I personally don't think any of it qualifies as "epic", unless you're talking about;
Completing a thru-hike on Springer
An amazing wildlife encounter
A crazy storm or similar meteorological event

But maybe that's just me.

Lone Wolf
09-11-2008, 14:04
getting a Coke and a hot dog at Neel gap

bloodmountainman
09-11-2008, 14:06
Blood Mountain...... but I'm a little partial to it. Been climbing and camping on that hill about 30 years.
The Tray Mountain to Bly Gap section has some fine forest to walk through. None of it can be described as "epic".

Two Speed
09-11-2008, 14:07
Hate to be a bummer, but I don't think the Georgia section of the AT qualifies as "epic."

Beautiful, well worth hiking? Absofrigginlutely!

Epic? Never thought of the Georgia section in those terms.

Blissful
09-11-2008, 14:10
getting a Coke and a hot dog at Neel gap

LOL. That was funny.

For me, views are the most inspiring, and GA has some nice ones. Blood Mtn's is beautiful on a clear day. But I also liked it when I reached Springer Mtn from the Approach Trail and saw the first official blaze of the AT and the guy on the plaque which I had seen in countless photos.

KG4FAM
09-11-2008, 14:15
Watching the sunset on Blood Mtn.

ChinMusic
09-11-2008, 14:21
But maybe... just me.A MOWGLI sighting would DEF be on the list.......:D

papa john
09-11-2008, 14:33
A MOWGLI sighting would DEF be on the list.......:D

Been there, done that. He was a sight to see after he left Neels Gap with all his new gear. None of us could keep up with him after that!

MOWGLI
09-11-2008, 14:35
Been there, done that. He was a sight to see after he left Neels Gap with all his new gear. None of us could keep up with him after that!

:) Thanks Papa John. Good times, eh?

papa john
09-11-2008, 14:51
:) Thanks Papa John. Good times, eh?

Yep, those were the days! We had a good group going through at that time.

MikeG
09-11-2008, 15:46
unfourtunetly i dont have a year to spend in the woods between work, school and the guard, but on free weekends i do have i like to take a trail or two and was just trying to plot my next trip. i've done the entire georgia section just wondering if there were some hidden gems. i may just end up doing blood mountain.

MikeG
09-11-2008, 15:49
that was in response to,

I personally don't think any of it qualifies as "epic", unless you're talking about;

Completing a thru-hike on Springer
An amazing wildlife encounter
A crazy storm or similar meteorological event

But maybe that's just me.

just couldnt figure out how to edit it. however about wildlife incounters i did see a heard of big feet, and ended up bringing one back to my place for dinner and a movie. i dont think she was interested though. all in all it was a fine evening.

MOWGLI
09-11-2008, 15:52
MikeG, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So what applies to me, may not apply to you.

Personally, if I was looking for some epic stuff nearby No. GA, I'd head up to the Smokies and explore some of the cove forests off of the AT. You'll see some amazing old growth, hillsides covered with wildflowers (in spring), and maybe - just maybe - a bear or two.

Good luck!

FatMan
09-11-2008, 15:56
unfourtunetly i dont have a year to spend in the woods between work, school and the guard, but on free weekends i do have i like to take a trail or two and was just trying to plot my next trip. i've done the entire georgia section just wondering if there were some hidden gems. i may just end up doing blood mountain.You should do the foothills trail. One of the most magnificent hikes I have done especially if you like waterfalls and raging rivers.

Hoop
09-11-2008, 16:02
MikeG,

In case you didn't see the thread, a WB group is gathering at Blood Mountain next Friday for a weekend trek there.

bloodmountainman
09-11-2008, 16:18
unfourtunetly i dont have a year to spend in the woods between work, school and the guard, but on free weekends i do have i like to take a trail or two and was just trying to plot my next trip. i've done the entire georgia section just wondering if there were some hidden gems. i may just end up doing blood mountain.
Get out of the AT only mode and try Jacks River Falls over in the Cohutta wilderness area. That's a hidden gem. Lot's of good trails over there.:D

greentick
09-11-2008, 16:28
Epic?

Plum Orchard Gap to Bly gap August 07 during what seemed to be;) the height of Yellow Jacket season was pretty epic for me. I think I broke some personal speed records.:D

Footslogger
09-11-2008, 16:49
Crossing from Georgia into North Carolina ...1 down 13 to go !!

'Slogger

max patch
09-11-2008, 17:12
As Mowgli said, unless you finishing up a SOBO thru at Springer, then the term "epic" doesn't really apply.

The closest I can suggest would be a hike up Blood and having lunch on top of the rocks, finishing up with a swim at LWS, and then having supper at the Smith House in Dahlonega.

Summit
09-11-2008, 17:31
Definitely Blood Mountain tops the list. Surprised no one voted for Tray Mtn / Tray Mtn Shelter. The campsite by the rocks overlook before you get to the shelter is one of the sweetest spots on the southern 1/3 of the AT. Laying out on those rocks 30 feet from your tent on a starry night with the 100 mile view of city lights ranks very high on my memorable AT moments list! And I've done it three or four times! :)

Tin Man
09-11-2008, 17:46
Epic? In GA? With 2,000 people starting over a few week period?

Surely, the first privy has to have issues of an epic proportion.

Pedaling Fool
09-11-2008, 18:05
As I read through this thread, it made me wonder why we (most, not all) think the scenery in the Rockies are epic and scenery in Georgia is less so. You look at the same large area (as far as the eye can see). The mountains out west are higher, colors are different, etc... But why is Georgia scenery not epic? It's just as natural. Georgia mountains are older, they are like a wrinkled old person who has lost their vigor, is that why? Just a curiosity.

minnesotasmith
09-11-2008, 18:28
Blood Mountain......

It's the closest thing to a Mts. Katahdin or Washington on the AT in Georgia, no question.

Egads
09-11-2008, 18:36
Epic? In GA? With 2,000 people starting over a few week period?

Surely, the first privy has to have issues of an epic proportion.

Not my first thought, but definitely my last one on this subject.

halibut15
09-11-2008, 19:34
As I read through this thread, it made me wonder why we (most, not all) think the scenery in the Rockies are epic and scenery in Georgia is less so. You look at the same large area (as far as the eye can see). The mountains out west are higher, colors are different, etc... But why is Georgia scenery not epic? It's just as natural. Georgia mountains are older, they are like a wrinkled old person who has lost their vigor, is that why? Just a curiosity.

Amen, John! It's strange how everyone is slightly dumping on GA in this thread. I'm biased, of course, but I've also hiked all over the place and still think GA is pretty epic. Yes, it's not if the only kind of "epic scenery" you enjoy is raging waterfalls and 360 degree views every mile or so, but if you enjoy a little bit of everything (difficulty, views, solitude punctuated with people, waterfalls, and minus a river crossing) you're in luck. Blood Mtn. (the stretch from Woody to Neels Gaps) is a great section, but if you like solitude don't hit it on the weekend. Otherwise, I'd recommend the Tray Mtn. section (Unicoi to Dicks Creek Gaps) as a backup.

Maybe the reason people think a little less of GA is b/c most experience it with 1000 people on it during thruhiker season. It rocks - and can be insanely quiet - other times of the year as well.

max patch
09-11-2008, 19:36
Surprised no one voted for Tray Mtn / Tray Mtn Shelter.

Tray is definitely nice; I just wish it wasn't so close to the FS road so as to cut down on the amount of visitors it receives during the weekends.

Marta
09-11-2008, 20:16
Springer Mtn. is a place of pilgrimage for me. The first time I hiked there...it was special. Then, as the terminus of a SOBO hike...very emotional.

OTOH, if you're going NOBO, hitting the NC line is a slap upside the head. Hello, you think you've been on some mountains, but you are just getting started...

stranger
09-11-2008, 20:29
Perhaps not epic, but I really enjoy the first 5-6 miles of GA, going down towards Stover Creek, the falls, three forks area, I love that section.

Gray Blazer
09-11-2008, 20:34
Meeting Winton at Neel's Gap.

fiddlehead
09-11-2008, 20:49
It's all good.
Why must we try to think of the "best" or our favorite so often?

I'd rather think about the girl i met at Low Gap in '89 or the party we had with pizza & beer at Plum Orchard in '95 or taking my best friend(not an outdoor person) up Springer one year and he insisted on wearing 2 heavy coats (but loved it anyway)

I had many epic times in that state.

DuctTape
09-11-2008, 21:00
Springer Mtn. is a place of pilgrimage for me. The first time I hiked there...it was special.

Springer, of course it's Springer. The plaque, that first view... epic.

Blissful
09-11-2008, 21:08
OTOH, if you're going NOBO, hitting the NC line is a slap upside the head. Hello, you think you've been on some mountains, but you are just getting started...

Ain't that the truth. The climb out of Bly is a bear - gets you ready for the Stecoahs.

Marta
09-11-2008, 21:23
Ain't that the truth. The climb out of Bly is a bear - gets you ready for the Stecoahs.

...which just warm you up for the challenges ahead.:rolleyes:

bigcranky
09-11-2008, 21:38
Springer. The plaque, the first white blaze -- what an awesome sight coming out of the woods from the Approach Trail.

rafe
09-11-2008, 22:01

When I got to the top, someone had stuck a note to a tree. It read, "Dear TN/NC trail club. That wasn't funny."

Geek may know something about this. Or maybe his friend Mule.

weasel and bunny
09-12-2008, 13:21
The shower at Neels Gap.

Yahtzee
09-12-2008, 13:40
The summit of Big Cedar Mt. is my favorite spot in GA. The views are expansive and there is barely a spot of civilization to be seen. Forest as far as the eye can see. Worth an hour or two of hanging out and just enjoying being alive and out on the trail.

Red Hat
09-12-2008, 17:26
Hiking in the snow from Neels Gap to Testanatee Gap with Mother Goose, then hitching a ride into Helen on March 17 just in time to catch a St Paddys Day party was almost epic for me... Should add that the rest of my buddies nearly froze to death that night at the shelter while we were toasty warm in the Helendorf motel...

jesse
09-12-2008, 17:38
Get out of the AT only mode and try Jacks River Falls over in the Cohutta wilderness area. That's a hidden gem. Lot's of good trails over there.:D

Yes. Panther Crek Falls. My favorie place in the State.

Epic is a relative term. Standing on Cowrock looking at Wildcat Mt, then standing on Wildcat, looking at cowrock, definently worth the price of admission. Yea, I'd call it epic.

jesse
09-12-2008, 17:39
Hiking in the snow from Neels Gap to Testanatee Gap with Mother Goose, then hitching a ride into Helen on March 17 just in time to catch a St Paddys Day party was almost epic for me... Should add that the rest of my buddies nearly froze to death that night at the shelter while we were toasty warm in the Helendorf motel...

I'd take the worst day ever in the woods, over any day in Helen, GA. :D

Red Hat
09-12-2008, 17:42
I'd take the worst day ever in the woods, over any day in Helen, GA. :D

The point was that we enjoyed the day in the woods, hiking in beautiful snow, including over Cowrock. But we got warm in town, had a little green beer, and didn't freeze like everyone else. It wasn't about the cutesy town...

Panzer1
09-12-2008, 23:41
I think what is epic is the journey itself, not the trail.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
09-12-2008, 23:48
I think what is epic is the journey itself, not the trail.

Panzer

hikin' the AT is hardly epic

Panzer1
09-13-2008, 00:00

epic is a state of mind.

Panzer

Tin Man
09-13-2008, 06:53

perhaps, but some blow the events of others hike's out of epic proportions...

...then there's THE thread

Mercy
09-13-2008, 07:44
I'll echo FatMan.... Foothills are great! Lots of week-end trips, even one decent loop w/no shuttles around Fork Mountain Trail.

http://www.foothillstrail.org/

kyerger
09-13-2008, 09:24
no one said a word about the weird tree in north ga. I found that tree very strange and kool.

Pedaling Fool
09-13-2008, 09:40
no one said a word about the weird tree in north ga. I found that tree very strange and kool.
You got a pic?
If we now are putting trees in the category of "Epic" then we got to include the one near turk gap in SNP.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25697&c=member&orderby=views&direction=DESC&imageuser=6936&cutoffdate=-1

MOWGLI
09-13-2008, 09:45

At Bly Gap?