PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on trail sleeping aides

Darwin
09-11-2008, 14:16
I have a hard time sleeping on the trail. I don't know why, though. It's not because of physical discomfort, noise, fear or anxiety. I just can't get myself to fall asleep and stay asleep well. What sort of sleeping aide would you suggest, especially one that would only knock me out for around 8 hours without an alarm to wake me up?
Thank you for your help. Take care.

Darwin
[email protected]

MOWGLI
09-11-2008, 14:19
Bring a book and read yourself to sleep. Or push yourself harder on the trail, so you arrive in camp nice and tired.

Lone Wolf
09-11-2008, 14:20
I have a hard time sleeping on the trail. I don't know why, though. It's not because of physical discomfort, noise, fear or anxiety. I just can't get myself to fall asleep and stay asleep well. What sort of sleeping aide would you suggest, especially one that would only knock me out for around 8 hours without an alarm to wake me up?
Thank you for your help. Take care.

Darwin
[email protected]

Tylenol PM

rafe
09-11-2008, 14:23
One or two ibuprofen tabs usually does the trick for me.

KG4FAM
09-11-2008, 14:23
Alcohol

Frau
09-11-2008, 14:32
I use Benedryl. Nessmuk uses Trazadone. which I have tried and it is nice. It's his prescription though, so I stick to the OTC diphenhydramine.

Frau

-SEEKER-
09-11-2008, 14:40
I too use Trazadone both at home and on the trail. You can get the generic for next to nothing and it comes in tablets that can easily be broken to adjust your dosage as needed.

jesse
09-11-2008, 14:41
Take nothing.

MOWGLI
09-11-2008, 15:36
Take nothing.

Or all. ;)

Quoddy
09-11-2008, 19:32
A couple of Advil PM. It's basically just Motrin with a light dose of Benadryl, but knocks the "edge" off and allows easier sleep with no after effects.

Flush2wice
09-11-2008, 19:52
bourbon

strates
09-11-2008, 20:02
Ear Plugs work for me, sounds wierd, but it quiets my own thoughts as much as other peoples snoring.

Marta
09-11-2008, 20:19
Tylenol PM, Advil PM, or Benadryl straight up. As you get further into the trip, you'll probably sleep better without artificial aid.

Kerosene
09-12-2008, 09:53
I second the earplugs.

If you're sleeping on the ground you will end up rolling around to relieve the inevitable pressure points on your shoulders and hips. You may not sense physical discomfort, but you will be shifting. The best sleep I ever had was in a hammock -- I fell asleep on my back without moving for 6 straight hours, and I'm a side-sleeper.

You might also try stretching or perhaps yoga before bed.

If you have to resort to drugs, then Ambien is remarkable as you wake up immediately and without fuzziness.

Make yourself a soft pillow by wrapping your fleece jacket around a stuffbag of clothing or half-inflated water bag.

splash1986
09-12-2008, 10:44
I think when you are in the woods your senses are on higher alert than usual. I found that I did not sleep real well on the trail, even though I was exhausted. It doesn't have anything to do with being scared or anxious, just the bodies reaction to a new place to sleep every night. I found that I would "cat nap" more than be out cold for the whole night.

KG4FAM
09-12-2008, 10:55
I think when you are in the woods your senses are on higher alert than usual. I found that I did not sleep real well on the trail, even though I was exhausted. It doesn't have anything to do with being scared or anxious, just the bodies reaction to a new place to sleep every night. I found that I would "cat nap" more than be out cold for the whole night.
I do the same. I dont sleep as sound, but the quality of rest is much better than in a bed.

MOWGLI
09-12-2008, 11:10
I dont sleep as sound, but the quality of rest is much better than in a bed.

Agreed. I don't need as much sleep, and still feel rested in the AM. Dreams tend to be incredibly vivid - as I've posted here before. I'd hate to medicate to the point of not having those dreams - or not being alert to sounds in camp. But if I had insomnia on the trail - I might feel differently.

NorthCountryWoods
09-12-2008, 13:37

Same here. My wife sleeps thru everything, I wake at the slightest leaf rustle. Ear plugs work along with making sure I'm tired as hell. Also don't sleep near others and never sleep the first night out.

teachergal
09-13-2008, 22:36
Do you have allergies?
I find that when my allergies act up sleeping is very hard. I personally am allergic to just about everything out in the woods - trees, grass, leaf mold and find sleeping in woods next to impossible no matter how tired I am.

ChinMusic
09-13-2008, 22:48
I also have trouble sleeping on trips. It seems like the harder the day, the harder it is to fall asleep. For short, easy days, I sleep great. It seems counter intuitive. I almost never have trouble sleeping at home.

I started taking Ambien with me on trips. It works. I later found that Tylenol PM works well too. I carry both with me and go with the Tylenol PM on the first night. I haven't needed the Ambien on my last few trips but carry it just in case.

earlylight
09-14-2008, 22:29
I sleep best when I am completely exhausted. Plus when, I'm on the trail I don't drink alcohol or coffee which makes it easier for me to get to sleep.

ChinMusic
09-14-2008, 22:42
I sleep best when I am completely exhausted.
I think after a few days I would adjust, but as a weekend warrior I rarely get time to adjust. I sleep horrible, without help, after an exhausting day 1.

I don't drink alcohol or coffee which makes it easier for me to get to sleep.
I don't drink alcohol of or off the trail, to that ain't it for me.

I DO drink a LOT of Diet Coke, with loads of caffeine. I found that I get nasty caffeine-withdrawal headaches if I don't carry some caffeine pills with me. I used to think that the "fresh air" and activity was doing it to me, until I put two and two together. Sad, I know........:(

Tin Man
09-14-2008, 23:52
Listening to "when I was scoutmaster" stories around the campfire.