PDA

View Full Version : check these out...

Hammock Hanger
03-12-2004, 16:54
I really love my Chacos and have loved hiking in them. Unfortunately I am one of those stupid people that can't leave a good thing alone. I'm always out there looking for what is new and different.

In that vain I started looking at new shoes/sandals. I tried a number of trail runners on but I didn't care for any of them. I tried the Bites, a sandal shoe, that was real popular last year. It didn't feel comfy either. Now I have come acrossed this shoe/sandal called KEEN, style Newport.

They are so cool. Comfy like sandals, solid tracktion like a trail runner and toe protection.

The technical description: <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=440 align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Perhaps the most technical Keen sandal, the Newport has a leather web upper and a bungee lacing system for a secure fit. The asymmetrical footbed has metatarsal arch support to keep your foot in a neutral, extremely comfortable position, with a durable Phylon midsole for superior cushioning. Newport‘s custom outsole is carbon sticky rubber with a continuous pattern of thin slits called siping to provide better grip on wet surfaces.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>http://www.onlineshoes.com/images/clear.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> SEE WEB: http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=38&brandcatid=catall&pcid=5958&gen=w&adtrack=tl-in&term=women%27s+keen+newport&offer Sue/HH

Footslogger
03-12-2004, 17:59
I really love my Chacos and have loved hiking in them. Unfortunately I am one of those stupid people that can't leave a good thing alone. I'm always out there looking for what is new and different.

In that vain I started looking at new shoes/sandals. I tried a number of trail runners on but I didn't care for any of them. I tried the Bites, a sandal shoe, that was real popular last year. It didn't feel comfy either. Now I have come acrossed this shoe/sandal called KEEN, style Newport.

They are so cool. Comfy like sandals, solid tracktion like a trail runner and toe protection.

The technical description: <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=440 align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Perhaps the most technical Keen sandal, the Newport has a leather web upper and a bungee lacing system for a secure fit. The asymmetrical footbed has metatarsal arch support to keep your foot in a neutral, extremely comfortable position, with a durable Phylon midsole for superior cushioning. Newport‘s custom outsole is carbon sticky rubber with a continuous pattern of thin slits called siping to provide better grip on wet surfaces.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>http://www.onlineshoes.com/images/clear.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>SEE WEB: http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=38&brandcatid=catall&pcid=5958&gen=w&adtrack=tl-in&term=women%27s+keen+newport&offer Sue/HH
Hey HH ...just checked those puppies out. Impressive !! Have them in Mens sizes too and there are a couple different styles based on this same design. I may just have to try them out myself.

Hammock Hanger
03-12-2004, 18:01
I am wearing mine right now they are so comfy... almost feel like barefeet. HH

Footslogger
03-12-2004, 18:21
I am wearing mine right now they are so comfy... almost feel like barefeet. HH

HH ...how close to true size are they?? I wear a 10.5 in a street shoe. Based on your experience ...do you think I would be best in an 11 ?? or a 10 ??

Hammock Hanger
03-12-2004, 19:09
I wear a 7.5 street shoe and always buy 8 for hiking. These feet more like a 7.5... But there is give to them due to the elatic in the lace so I think I'll be okay. If I woere you I would definately go with an 11, even an 11.5 if you like your shoes to be a little loose. HH

MedicineMan
03-12-2004, 23:06
I tried the Wraptors for a hike OK on the ups but ate my feet up on the downs....in this new sandal are you wearing socks? I didn't in the Teva Wraptors, maybe that was the problem but it seems like you are defeating the purpose of sandals if you wear socks????
Help me here.

Hammock Hanger
03-12-2004, 23:38
To be honest I have worn them BOTH ways. In the begining I wore lightweight short socks to keep the sandal from chaffing me. Which I had one spot that would on the way down. After my feet toughen up in that spot I began to go without. Also after longtime wear and lots of water the straps on the Chacos soften up. -- Wearing the socks to me did not defeat the purpose of the sandals. My feet felt much freer, there were less places to get blisters and I could wear them without socks in town and at night. Not to mention that I didn't have to carry camp shoes. When I was hiking in wet terrain or mud I could hike right thru and within hours my sandals were dry. -- No way I could hike in my boot without socks, so there was no versitility there. -- These new Keens have a covered toe and a few more straps (could be a good thing could not) that should cut down on movement in the sandal on the downhills, hopefully cutting down on the need for socks at anytime. My only fear about the Keens is that since it has a closed toe, when pepples do enter how will they get out??? With the Chacos any pepples or twigs would just work there way out. I did buy a pair and plan to try them out on the Colorado, but I will have my Chacos at my first maildrop as a backup if they do not work out. I think they are a cool sandals but have to say I have NOT tried these on the trail as of yet. My chacos have been trail tested and passed with flying colors. HH

MedicineMan
03-13-2004, 00:22
I like many here have tried and tried and tried many many boot/shoe/sandal/variants but I always end up back to square one-for me the LL Bean Crestas....just hearing you mention the pebble stuck in the toe box is enough for me to say no....but who knows what tomorow will bring....hey, we were just in Jacksonville 2 weeks ago, thought of you,,,we were headed back to TN after paddling far south in Collier Seminole and other haunts...tried to get to the lighthouse but it was on a navy base with no access-or so we were told :(

Hammock Hanger
03-13-2004, 09:04
Is an old haunt of ours too. -- Lately we have taken to paddling in the grassy area over by Crooked River & Cumberland Island with the dolphins... HH

tlbj6142
03-14-2004, 18:22
I need a new pair of sandals, I thinking about a pair fo bites Trail Lows or X-OS. But these keens have me a bit interested. How much do your weigh? Can you remove the insole and replace them with something like Superfeet?

Also, I can't find Keen's website anywhere. Do you have any contact information? I'd like to give them a call, or read their site.

Thanks.

Hammock Hanger
03-14-2004, 18:34
www.keenfootwear.com (http://www.keenfootwear.com)

This site will give you the scoop on the Keen sandal, http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=38&brandcatid=catall&pcid=5958&gen=w&adtrack=tl-in&term=women%27s+keen+newport&offer
The sole is not removable. It is a soft rubber that is all part of the sole. I wore them out for a day hike today in Florida and they were very comfortable and the way they fit no debri entered the shoe. The footbed was very soft on the feet and the way they conform to the foot there was absolutely no flip-flop of the heel. The shoe felt like an extension of my foot.

Now I need to try them out somewhere that has an ascent and rocks.... Hard to find in Florida.

HH

tlbj6142
03-15-2004, 14:46
Boy do they need to update their site. I lost hope of finding them locally when I did a dealer search. However at lunch I hit the mall and Galyans. The Walking Company (women's only for now) and Galyan's but carry them. I bought a pair of H2's from Gaylans. I'm wearing them now. I've had them on for 30 minutes...

The sole is a bit stiff, there doesn't seem to be any cushion at all. This is fine as I find that "cushion" tends to be the first thing to go on a shoe and I end up walking with my toes higher than my heels. Which is really uncomfortable.
The arch support could be a bit higher (for me). I'll probably be fine for day-to-day use but a long hike or long day walking could make for sore arches. IMO, arch support tends to be the weakest part of just about any sandal.
I don't like that the heel strap isn't adjustable. I fear elastic my let it slip over some time.
Tread and traction seem ok
The bottom is a bit flat (stems from their watersport/skateboarding background??), so your foot doesn't roll from heel to toe. Sort of reminds me of my old Airwalk shoes.
We'll see. I'll wear them the rest of the day and maybe tomorrow before I return them.

What didn't you like about Bites?

Hammock Hanger
03-17-2004, 14:37
Boy do they need to update their site. I lost hope of finding them locally when I did a dealer search. However at lunch I hit the mall and Galyans. The Walking Company (women's only for now) and Galyan's but carry them. I bought a pair of H2's from Gaylans. I'm wearing them now. I've had them on for 30 minutes...

The sole is a bit stiff, there doesn't seem to be any cushion at all. This is fine as I find that "cushion" tends to be the first thing to go on a shoe and I end up walking with my toes higher than my heels. Which is really uncomfortable. See I find the sole to be very soft and cushy.
The arch support could be a bit higher (for me). I'll probably be fine for day-to-day use but a long hike or long day walking could make for sore arches. IMO, arch support tends to be the weakest part of just about any sandal.I find the arch support to be fine and I have high arches.
I don't like that the heel strap isn't adjustable. I fear elastic my let it slip over some time. I feel that the solid strap on the sandal won't give that much.
Tread and traction seem ok---Agree.
The bottom is a bit flat (stems from their watersport/skateboarding background??), so your foot doesn't roll from heel to toe. Sort of reminds me of my old Airwalk shoes. I understand what you are saying but it doesn't seem to bother me.
We'll see. I'll wear them the rest of the day and maybe tomorrow before I return them. I've worn mine everyday since I got them (about a week now) and like them more each time I wear them. I plan on taking them hiking with me in the Ocala the first of April. I'll have a slightly better idea of how they will handle on the trail, well flat trail anyway!!

What didn't you like about Bites?The Bites were one of those shoes that the second I put it on I knew I don't like it. (For me anyway, cuz others loved them.) They were too wide. too hard, no arch, and the stitching on the inside rubbed my toes.

So, as you can see we all look at things differently. Thus take all post as a matter of opinion. Now if there are a lot of similar opinions I would say the advice is probably pretty right on. Just my humble opinion. Sue/HH

tlbj6142
03-17-2004, 14:48
I ordered a pair of Bites (Xtensions OS). The should be here tomorrow. I wore the Keens the rest of the day. And I got use the flat footed feel and the shock seems to be better. The heel strap is a non-issue. For some reason I thought it was just neoprene. But it is covered by a fixed length nylon strap. So, I don't expect it to stretch.

Arch support still was an issue at the end of the day, and my feet got quite hot. Give that 80% of the top of my foot was covered with 1/8" of neoprene that is not surprising. We'll see.

Hammock Hanger
03-17-2004, 14:54
I ordered a pair of Bites (Xtensions OS). The should be here tomorrow. I wore the Keens the rest of the day. And I got use the flat footed feel and the shock seems to be better. The heel strap is a non-issue. For some reason I thought it was just neoprene. But it is covered by a fixed length nylon strap. So, I don't expect it to stretch.

Arch support still was an issue at the end of the day, and my feet got quite hot. Give that 80% of the top of my foot was covered with 1/8" of neoprene that is not surprising. We'll see.
I am looking forward to your take on the Bites. An number of hikers wore them last year and thought they were great, just not me!

I have really like the Keen H2 Newports, so far. I still think I will have my Chacos waiting in my bounce box just in case. Know what I mean...

Sue/HH

tlbj6142
03-18-2004, 14:49
I'm returing both the Keen H2's and the Bite Xtension OS sandals.

The Keens are really nice street sandals, but without arch support (for me) and the fact that it is tougher to get dirt out of the sandal, they are going back.

The Bites are very comfortable, except that the toe strap is such that it smaches my two outer most toes. On a down hill, I'm sure my little toe would be in quite a bit of pain. I had the sandals on all morning (7am-11am). Its been two hours since I changed out of them, and two toes on my right foot still hurt! And 50% of those 4 hours I was sitting at my desk! This really sucks that they have great arch support with their stock inserts. And I could have put my Superfeet in them if I needed more.

Oh well. Maybe Teva Wraptors2 (if I can find them) or some version of chaco.

Moon Monster
03-22-2004, 21:52
How rigid are the Keen soles? Do they have a shank?

I have a pair of Bites, but I could never wear them on the trail because of how soft the soles are--to me, they are as flexible as normal Tevas (e.g., Terra Fis), that is, they are as flexible as butter. I have a new pair of Chacos and their soles, just by being Vibram rubber, are as rigid as my Teva Wraptor IIs, which have a shank. That's impressive about the Chacos and I'm eager to trail test them.

I'm always interested in seeing new sandal entrants into the hiking market. Thanks for finding these and making them known here.

Hammock Hanger
03-23-2004, 16:21
I find that the Keen sandal bed is pretty sturdy, at least as sturdy as the Chacos. I am looking forward to hiking in them. -- Still I have to say my Chacos have definately proven themselves as trail worthy and will be in my back up box in case the Keens don't work out. HH

schrochem
03-23-2004, 16:35
Yellow Jacket I had the same problem with the Bites. My pinky toe was getting crushed. I just wrote a post in ultralight about the keens, so the jury is still out. I HOPE it was just the pair I got, b/c I see it as a perfect solution. If not I will probably upgrade my 5yr old chacos (with the colorado sole) for a new WIDE pair of Terranos.
Scott

2Ply
03-23-2004, 18:12
Bought a pair at REI about 3 weeks ago and love em! They are comfortable and have great traction on the trail. Have worn them with and without socks but like the socks better, helps keep the sweat down. The way they work with the draw cord I can keep them loose in the front and tight in the back for a comfortable fit. I'm gonna keep mine! :clap

tlbj6142
03-28-2004, 21:53
How rigid are the Keen soles? Do they have a shank?I would put them on par with the Bites. No shank (unless it is made of Jell-O) but stiffer than Tevas. The Teva Terra-Fis provided no rigidity at all.

Note: I did not hike in the Bites, Keens or the Terra-Fis. I wore them at work and home for a day or two and then returned them.

I have settled on a pair of Chacos. Too bad they are so damn heavy (cut 4-6 oz per sandal and you might have the perfect footwear). Haven't tried them on the trail (I'm a bit concerned about downhills), but I had them on all last week during my Disney Cruise. My feet would stick to them a bit, but I'm sure I would wear socks with them on the trail so that wouldn't be an issue. I was also amazed at how much my feet swell during the day. I typically had to re-adjust the straps twice a day.

Bites does make a pair of Chaco-like sandals called Orcas(?). Check them out. I wish I would have discovered them before I bought my Chacos, as they seem like a good sandal. They have to be lighter than the Chacos. Also, the "Hiker-low" model is being discontinued. But you can buy what is left for $50/pair.

The one thing I can't emphasize enough is how quickly the straps on the Chacos dry. That is the "biggest" problem with the other sandals on the market. They all use neoprene(?) behind their straps which holds water (that's why they make wetsuits out of it!!!). Which could result in some nasty sore spots. And straps that never dryout (this is mentioned in several of the reviews of various sandals on bpgt.org (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Sandals/)). If I wanted my feet to never dry out I might as well stick with my running shoes. Or hike out west instead of the always damp and humid east.

I look forward to trying the Chacos on a long dayhike later in April or May. I'll report back after the trip. For now the only person I know who hikes exclusivly in Chacos is Flyfisher (www.imrisk.com (http://www.imrisk.com)). So far he has very few issues with his setup.

Hammock Hanger
03-28-2004, 22:30
I hike 1000 miles in the Chacos and had no problems. Even down hill, it is something you get use to. Sue/HH

tlbj6142
03-28-2004, 23:06
I hike 1000 miles in the Chacos and had no problems. Even down hill, it is something you get use to. Sue/HHDo you have Z1's or Z2's (big-toe loop)? I guess as long as I keep the straps tight enough, downhills ought to be easy. Though I would think there would be quite a bit of pressure on the front-most strap. We'll see...

schrochem
03-29-2004, 13:12
Well I got my replacement pair of Keens and they were fine walking around town, the house, etc. but when I went for a short hike I noticed some discomfort. The first pair caused pain in my heal, so it was probably a manufacturing defect. They (KEEN) sent me a replacement pair and although it took awhile it was pretty good service to do so. The discomfort was only in the heel. There is plenty of room/comfort in the toebox and the arch seemed sufficient. I am not sure if it is just my walking style or my heel strike but when hiking the discomfort jumped up. It just felt like a bubble was under my heel, not in the cushy soft sense but the hard irritating sense.
So I am going to upgrade my trusty old chacos to the terrano sole and nice wide bed. Really too bad the Keens didin't work out for me. I really like the added support and toe protection. I did feel they were a bit warm (caused my feet to sweat) while merely barefoot. I suppose that is the neoprene. Maybe they will follow chaco and create a more "hiking" shoe with a better sole, better heel, and use only nylon uppers. I was/am in correspondence with a representative with keen so they (at least he is) well aware of this possible use......
anyway, just a FWIW
Scott

Hammock Hanger
03-29-2004, 18:44
Do you have Z1's or Z2's (big-toe loop)? I guess as long as I keep the straps tight enough, downhills ought to be easy. Though I would think there would be quite a bit of pressure on the front-most strap. We'll see...
I DID NOT have the loop around the toe, yuck!! I did have the upgraded Vibram sole. Sue/HH

Hammock Hanger
04-03-2004, 22:29
Keen's, hiking verdict.... NO WAY!! They are cute with jeans and do well inthe kayak but forget the trail. I just got back from the trail 2 days early due to horrific blisters. Major heel blister, largest I have ever had in all the years I've hiked. The is a very small rise on the back of the heel, that never bothered me around town, but when on the trail with the pack and hiking gait it I developed a major blister. Once the fee t sweeled a little I felt a tightness across the toes, my pinkie toenail kept catching in between the webbing, even with socks. Since there is more webbing then Chacos there are more places for friction, lot so little blisters. They are hot and by the end of the day I wanted them off the same as boots, but since they are sandals I did not bring any camp shoes. I will keep these as town shoes and hope to wear them after the memory of how terrible they felt in Ocala fades from my memory. Looks like the CHacos will be going to Colorado. (This is just my opinion!) Sue/Hammock Hanger

Hammock Hanger
04-03-2004, 23:10
Keen's, hiking verdict.... NO WAY!! They are cute with jeans and do well in the kayak but forget the trail. I just got back from the trail 2 days early due to horrific blisters. Major heel blister, largest I have ever had in all the years I've hiked. There is a very small rise on the back of the heel, that never bothered me around town, but when on the trail with the pack and hiking gait I developed a major blister. Once the feet sweeled a little I felt a tightness across the toes, my pinkie toenail kept catching in between the webbing, even with socks. Since there is more webbing then Chacos there are more places for friction, so a lot of little blisters. They are hot and by the end of the day I wanted them off the same as boots, but since they are sandals I did not bring any camp shoes. I will keep these as town shoes and hope to wear them after the memory of how terrible they felt in Ocala fades from my memory. Looks like the CHacos will be going to Colorado. (This is just my opinion!) Sue/Hammock Hanger

Coolabah
04-04-2004, 00:48
Sad that you did not like the Keen Newports ! Personally I agree Newports may not be the best sandal for hiking though (REI as it turns out lists them as watersport use whatever that means)- it bothered me that if you tighten the strap the sandals stay tight even as you lift your foot (kinda flexing with the elastic cord- the straps are forever moving= friction ??) I found that the Keen Jamestown fits my foot better and is great (for me) for hiking in. Do you think perhaps you needed a slightly larger size ?? My heel does not go near the lip on the back of the sandal (about a third of an inch at best). Perhaps also with the Jamestown when you tighten the webbing strap it seems to snug your foot in closer to the toebox. Don't know if this is the reason. Anyway just thought I'd post a positive opinion about the Keen brand to counter your (very fairly stated) negative one !

Hammock Hanger
04-04-2004, 09:20
Coolabah: I'm glad they worked for you. I really hate to be negative but this time I had to. I like to remind folks that read our post that these are just our opinions and that you always need to remember that. I will use my Keens for kayaking. One more thing with this model that I noticed was that some of the rubber was chewed up after just 25 miles of hiking. My Chacos are still in excellent condition after many many months and trail miles. Also the Keen Newport H2's are not advertised as hiking sandals. -- The fit was fine, they just didn't work out. Enjoy yours. Sue/HH

Crash
11-24-2004, 20:03
Hey, I took my Keens on a long weekender backpacking thru Pennsy (Pine Grove Furnace) and the sandals were fine with a 28 lb pack.
I had no problems

tarbubble
11-24-2004, 21:15
i tested the keen newport H2's for backpackgeartest.org. i had a pretty bad time with them. rather than attempt to summarize it, i'll give you a link to my reports:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Sandals/Keen%20Newport%20H2/Colleen%20Porter/

my long-term report is the most gruesome.

just my experiences, yours could be different.