PDA

View Full Version : Day Hiking the AT

BumpJumper
09-12-2008, 17:15
I am going to be doing a day hike at the end of this month in N. GA section. Still deciding on where.
What gear should I take and have with me for this. New to the AT so any advise will be great.

Red Hat
09-12-2008, 17:23
Take a day pack with water and food (snacks), rain gear, and a jacket for warmth. I also recommend hiking poles, a map or guide book, and a light source (head lamp) just in case. Back in 2003 I did a day hike that ended up taking longer than expected and I hiked for nearly two hours in the dark.

sasquatch2014
09-12-2008, 17:29
Always better to be prepared than a statistic. I second the list from before and unless you have hiked in your boots enough I might add a few band aids as well.

Hoop
09-12-2008, 18:23
A nice day hike? Walk five miles to the Hike Inn from the Lodge at Amicalola. Take a lunch and relax there a minute then return the way you came or loop onto the AT approach trail for a longer stroll.

BumpJumper
09-13-2008, 08:58
Redhat,
That is the equipment that I had planned on taking minus the map. I forgot that:eek:
I dont have time for a long hike. It will have to be a shorty. Looking for something with a creek or stream near it.

refreeman
09-13-2008, 10:17
Take a day pack with water and food (snacks), rain gear, and a jacket for warmth. I also recommend hiking poles, a map or guide book, and a light source (head lamp) just in case. Back in 2003 I did a day hike that ended up taking longer than expected and I hiked for nearly two hours in the dark.

head lamp, head lamp, head lamp,:sun water, water, water, snacks, snacks,snacks, maps maps, maps

I broke my foot hiking in the dark with no light.
You will get tired quicker if you don't drink enough water.
You will CRAVE carbs near the middle to end of the hike if 10+ miles.
MAPS save your ass, maps can be a mind game, but they can provide a way out when you need it.