ffstenger
09-13-2008, 06:45
Has anyone ever fallen off of MacAfee knob ?? I have a fear of hights
so I plan to stay away from the edge. Gonna be there next week :banana
See ya on the trail.....
"showme"

Pedaling Fool
09-13-2008, 09:28
I don't know. But there are many places along the AT where one could fall and be seriously injured/killed. Many of these places are simply trail - not scenic overlooks, like the knob.

I think I remember hearing about a hiker that fell as he was hiking into NOC (I believe in 2006), luckily he only broke his arm.

MOWGLI
09-13-2008, 09:44
Has anyone ever fallen off of MacAfee knob ?? I have a fear of hights
so I plan to stay away from the edge. Gonna be there next week :banana
See ya on the trail.....
"showme"

C'mon. You live on a Poplar Bluff. How scary could a little knob be? ;)

Blissful
09-13-2008, 12:43
That was the thing that scared me up north - esp climbing Old SPeck, that if I missed this one ladder, I could plummet to my death. I never thought you could die on the AT - but the possibility is certainly there, not only in falls, but in hypothermic conditions and other things.

f8lranger4x4
09-13-2008, 20:17
Not that I know of Not in the last 9years i've been living here. It is a great view make sure to see tinker cliffs also. Tinker is better I think. Less People.

bigcranky
09-14-2008, 09:27
Last words of hiker who plunged to his death on McAfee Knob: "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Other than that, not much to worry about. Beautiful spot for a long break if the weather is nice. Plenty of napping spots in the shade just behind the rocky outcrop.

WildWay
09-14-2008, 09:48
I haven't heard of anybody falling off, But common sense dictates being careful anytime. I hike this a couple of times a month and seen more people with scrapes on their legs and arms because of wearing the wrong type of shoes ( flip-flops,etc.). A good day hike is from Rt.311 to the Andy Lanye parking area. You get to see both the knob and Tinker cliffs, but you need two vehicles. Have a nice trip it's a beautiful view.

Rain Man
09-14-2008, 09:57
I think I remember hearing about a hiker that fell as he was hiking into NOC (I believe in 2006), luckily he only broke his arm.

Would you be referring to Sumpknocker?
Stumpknocker (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13533)

He has a TrailJournal too, as I recall.

Rain:sunMan

ffstenger
09-17-2008, 04:33
Thanks to all for the input. Leaving PB MO tomorrow for 9 days on the
trail. Looking forward to the views from MK and Tinker.... See Y'all on
the trail.
ShowMe

Marta
09-17-2008, 06:41
There are many places where it's possible to fall and hurt or kill yourself. Most people are exquisitely careful on those areas, and therefore escape without injury. The injuries seem to happen when we let down our guard and are lolloping heedlessly along on flat ground.

Seriously, the more you do the "dangerous" bits of hiking, the more confidence you get in your ability to do similar things. As you relax, it gets much easier. And more fun.

ki0eh
09-17-2008, 07:36
I know of a hiker who was seriously injured at the ATC office in Boiling Springs. (Slipped on ice going to/from the car in the parking lot.)

atraildreamer
09-17-2008, 11:21
it's not the drop...it's the sudden stop! :eek:

mtnkngxt
09-17-2008, 15:33
Like knife's edge? Makes my head spin every time I do it.

Bare Bear
09-19-2008, 00:49
Remember Butch Cassidy and Sundance? They had to jump off a cliff into a river and Sundance could not swim. "Hell, the fall alone will kill you." I don't fear being killed nearly as much as being just maimed a bit.

ffstenger
09-30-2008, 03:59
Just to let you know. I had a great hike with no falls. It was fun comming
down from the dragons tooth (north bound) But, as my luck goes.... the day I got to MacAfee Knob and Tinker cliffs they were socked in with clouds, rain and fog :( So now I have to come back and do it again.
some pics to come later.
Show-me