PDA

View Full Version : Grumpy at Highpoint, NJ

twilight
03-13-2004, 00:59
Anybody else find these Rangers a little on the grumpy side? :bse

Twilight :jump

drdick
03-14-2004, 18:37
Maestro and myself had a short visit on a rather windy, cold and rainy day on March 04. The lady who was the "Receptionist" seemed friendly enough, but she did seem to be hidden when we needed to ask questions. She did give some valuable information about the descent to Rutherford Shelter, that is be careful about the rocks. Apparently it did not sink in, I fell, got up and continued the descent, remembering that in the morning I would be careful of the rocks on the ascent. We did not take her advise concerning the Iris Trail. It was not marked and did not want to venture in the woods of New Jersey to long. I am still trying to figure out why we had to hike over the big rock pile to see a wooden structure. Any one know the answer to that?

Blue Jay
03-14-2004, 19:24
Anybody else find these Rangers a little on the grumpy side? :bse

Twilight :jump

No, not at all. I've been there three times. Once one gave me a ride to a wonderful Motel just down the hill and got me a discount.

Skeemer
03-14-2004, 20:20
Yeah, they weren't all that friendly. No smiles and had to remind me that hitchhiking was illegal. I hiked there in a soaking rain and was miserably wet...and they didn't even feel sorry for me...maybe they just like nice friendly guys like the BlueJay. ;)

Blue Jay
03-15-2004, 09:34
Yeah, they weren't all that friendly. No smiles and had to remind me that hitchhiking was illegal. I hiked there in a soaking rain and was miserably wet...and they didn't even feel sorry for me...maybe they just like nice friendly guys like the BlueJay. ;)

Clearly, I get along well with locals. I have yet to have a problem after over 6000 miles. After your citing of many examples of where you were treated badly (also often in your journal) you do not. You may want to consider changing you attitude. You didn't get any smiles, Awwww.

snowshoe
03-31-2004, 13:49
All the Rangers at High Point are very freindly. I am freinds with them and have worked there as a seasonal. You may have just gotten them on a busy day. Remember they ae just doing their jobs. When it comes to rides they are not really allowed too. You would be suprised at the calls they get from people saying they need to be picked up because they hiked too far. If they pick one person up they have to pick everyone up. Plus you wanted to hike no one made you hike in the rain. Thats all part of the experince. I have hiked in the pouring rain, in snowstorms. I never expected anyone to pick me up. Dont forget they have over 15000+ acres to cover and fairly close to a populated area. They are very busy and not always going to be happy and have time to chat or give rides.