PDA

View Full Version : Is WB slow for you?

Roland
09-13-2008, 09:02
Over the past few days, I've noticed a DRAMATIC increase in the time it takes to load pages from Whiteblaze. For instance, if I click on New Posts, I'd have time to go to the bathroom before the page finishes loading. Opening threads is painfully slow.

This problem does not appear to be related to time of day. I've experienced the same slow conditions at 4:00 AM, as I have at 7:00 PM. Nor does the problem seem related to the number of users logged on at the given time. There are very few members using WB at 4:00 AM.

I think WB is hosted on a server in Texas (or used to be), and that area is getting hammered by hurricane Ike at the moment, but this problem arose long before Ike made landfall.

Is anyone else having this problem?

MOWGLI
09-13-2008, 09:07
Yes. This morning. Very slow. And I have a cable modem.

Gorp-Gobbler
09-13-2008, 09:10
Over the past few days, I've noticed a DRAMATIC increase in the time it takes to load pages from Whiteblaze. For instance, if I click on New Posts, I'd have time to go to the bathroom before the page finishes loading. Opening threads is painfully slow.

This problem does not appear to be related to time of day. I've experienced the same slow conditions at 4:00 AM, as I have at 7:00 PM. Nor does the problem seem related to the number of users logged on at the given time. There are very few members using WB at 4:00 AM.

I think WB is hosted on a server in Texas (or used to be), and that area is getting hammered by hurricane Ike at the moment, but this problem arose long before Ike made landfall.

Ho Hummmm!
Oh has the screen changed? Yes I'm having that problem too but I thought it was my old puter. I know the virtual memory in this one is low.

Homer&Marje
09-13-2008, 09:13
Yep, just seemed to get better though over the past couple hours... but last few days slow.

Gorp-Gobbler
09-13-2008, 09:15
And yes there aren't many people on WB at 3:00 or 4:00 am. I work third shift and on my night off guess who can't sleep?

Lyle
09-13-2008, 09:15
Yes, been happening to me too. Right now it seems fine, but off and on over the past several days it has been almost unusable for periods of time. I usually just go do something else for an hour or two when it's acting like that. :D

woodsy
09-13-2008, 09:19
yup, me too, can't even get WB to load at all at times lately, thought i was being prohibited from viewing for being bad.

mudhead
09-13-2008, 09:28
Same. Been off and on for the better part of last week.

My Roadrunner acts like it got half-gnawed by a coyote.

Pedaling Fool
09-13-2008, 09:31
I've noticed this from time-to-time and this week has seen a few of these sluggish times. It's so slow I just log off and do something else, not worth the wait.

Sly
09-13-2008, 09:36
I do about 4 vB forums and each gets slow from time to time. Also, if I'm not mistaken Whiteblaze's server is in ME.

Footslogger
09-13-2008, 10:55
I figured it was just the fact that the temps have dropped out here in Wyoming lately ...just kiddin.

But yeah, access time and screen loading times have seemed to increase lately.

'Slogger

NICKTHEGREEK
09-13-2008, 11:22
Things were so slow I thought I was at trailplace, virtual days between replies

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2008, 11:28
Something is new - I can't get a slow page on Vios but I have a popup blocker that's turned off and it keeps making a blocking sound with each page. When I look there's nothing there.

MOWGLI
09-13-2008, 11:30
You know how slow WB is? I'll tell ya! This morning, I knocked out 7 miles, and had to wait 30 minutes for WB to catch up to me. I just napped underneath a tree until it did.

walkin' wally
09-13-2008, 13:17
Same. Been off and on for the better part of last week.

My Roadrunner acts like it got half-gnawed by a coyote.

That's what roadrunners get for coming to Maine. We have fast coyotes. :D

And faster deer.

Sly
09-13-2008, 14:49
Something is new - I can't get a slow page on Vios but I have a popup blocker that's turned off and it keeps making a blocking sound with each page. When I look there's nothing there.

Ah, say again?

fiddlehead
09-13-2008, 15:30
Yup! me too here in Asia.
I thought maybe it was my internet connection here although other sites are ok.

So,now that i see it is more widespread, i think it is a problem with whiteblaze's server???

Sly
09-13-2008, 15:41
LOL... Works fine with my connection! Maybe y'all need to use CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/).

PS. If you do, click options, cookies and save the cookies you have for this site and other safe sites you frequent, rather than deleting. Otherwise, use the default settings

sasquatch2014
09-13-2008, 15:42
I started to post this last week and it just now loaded is that slow or what!! There are time I just give up on it.

Alligator
09-13-2008, 21:22
I noticed it too. I did send a PM to ATTroll about it, but the speed picked up so I sent him a second PM that it was OK again. This happened not too long ago (couple of weeks) and he put in a ticket for whoever manages the WB server, maybe he needs to do that again.

Tennessee Viking
09-13-2008, 23:36
Its Windows Vista

Lyle
09-14-2008, 00:13
Its Windows Vista

Would like to agree with you, but, unfortunately, it's happening on Linux too. :(

Been good all day today. :)

Panzer1
09-14-2008, 00:24
Its fine now, but it was slower earlier today.

Panzer

modiyooch
09-14-2008, 00:54
My problem is with the whereskarl.com website. After I visit that website, it seems my whole system crawls, including whiteblaze. I am deleting the internet cookies and temp files daily because of that website.
Have you guys visited that website prior to having problems with whiteblaze?

Sly
09-14-2008, 02:14
Have you guys visited that website prior to having problems with whiteblaze?

No, not Karl's site. What other kind of sites have you visited? ;) Seriously, I highly doubt there's any type of malware on his site. It could be with how fast your connection is, how much RAM, which browswer you use and with what extensions. That's not to say his, or WB's server isn't slow, but I don't think one website makes another slower.

Both those work fime for me. If you want to see a slow site visit politicalforum.com. It's almost as bad as half the opinions. ;)

Roland
09-14-2008, 04:22
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I was able to log in this morning, without delay. Pages are loading normally. It seems fine now.

Sly
09-14-2008, 04:50
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I was able to log in this morning, without delay. Pages are loading normally. It seems fine now.

Yeah, 4:30 am when no one else is hitting on the server, is always the best time for surfing!

TOW
09-14-2008, 06:41
Yep, I have had this problem too. I thought it was because Alligator and I had a spat and the admins put me on slow down along with a tracking cookie to see in what forum I was cruising.......

Wise Old Owl
09-14-2008, 09:34
Ah, say again?

Tracking cookies? I have a Norton firewall & Google blocker - When I get a popup, the popup is declined (So it can't get through) and I get a sound that its doing its job a "click" In the last couple of days I have been gettin clicks with every page. Every once in a while a empty box pops.

I just cleared history,cookies,passwords (deleted all of it) and its still happening. So now I am going to do a full scan.

gaga
09-14-2008, 10:44
-update your computer,-control panel--security center---Automatic updating ON
-try installing JAVA on your computer http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp?locale=en&host=www.java.com:80
-use MOZILLA FIREFOX instead of internet explorer;)
-install and use SPYBOT http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html
-clean your old files and media(photos, movies...)
-Open the Windows Task Manager, in File click New Task(run) and type: msconfig click OK,click Startup and Disable all and OK , restart your computer.
-just trying to help,if you do all of this things and your computer is still slow... you may try pouring a hot cup of strong cafe or a red bull on it:D (DON'T DO IT)

Sly
09-14-2008, 13:09
Tracking cookies? I have a Norton firewall & Google blocker - When I get a popup, the popup is declined (So it can't get through) and I get a sound that its doing its job a "click" In the last couple of days I have been gettin clicks with every page. Every once in a while a empty box pops.

I just cleared history,cookies,passwords (deleted all of it) and its still happening. So now I am going to do a full scan.

"Clicking sounds", sounds like you're using MS Internet Explorer and as far as I know don't mean much, it always does that. You may want to try Firefox, it's safer, and less prone to attacks.

I've never been a fan of anything Norton. Their products are considered bloatware, which will slow down your computer. If you have XP (SP2 or 3) or Vista their firewalls will do.

Seriously try, CCleaner to remove all unwanted or needed junk that's piled up and SuperAntiSpyware. They're both free products.

Added: Just use IE for Windows updates.

Sly
09-14-2008, 13:14
gaga, many people are recommending SuperAntiSpyware or MalwareBytes AntiMalware rather than Spybot these days, they have a much better detection rate. Also, Spybot's Teatimer can mess things up if you don't play close attention.

Another note, when installing new products of this nature, make sure to read the help file first, and don't randoming delete anything without confirming it's actually malware.

JaxHiker
09-14-2008, 17:01
Painfully slow at 5pm Eastern. That means hammockforums.net is slow too. Those are the only sites I'm having problems with but it sucks.

Roland
09-14-2008, 17:19
Painfully slow at 5pm Eastern. ~

I'll say. It took me about 10 minutes to navigate to this page, authenticate, and post this reply.

Funny thing is, it had been working fine since my original post. The problem is intermittent, but when it arises, the site is nearly impossible to browse.

modiyooch
09-14-2008, 17:25
I've been on it for the last hour and not having a problem.

In regards to cookies, spyware or whatever is slowing my system down; I have adaware by LavaSoft. I run a scan, delete the cookies, visit a particular website, and rerun the scan.

JaxHiker
09-14-2008, 21:13
I don't think it's spyware or anything like that. I've noticed slowdowns both at home and work and both machines are kept clean. It does seem to be much better now.