PDA

View Full Version : Miss me?

Mrs Baggins
09-13-2008, 09:14
Just got back from 2 weeks in Scotland - there are not words to adequately describe the beauty of the Highlands. We didn't get to do all the hiking we wanted but we did do a short (couple of miles) of the West Highland Way out of Glen Coe and 6 miles in Glen Nevis to Glen Nevis Gorge. Did some short tramps in the countryside as well. I must return to do the West Highland Way - absolutely must. I've never seen a trail in countryside as gorgeous as that. And they don't cut the trail over the top of every mountain like the AT - they cut it alongside the mountain most of the time. We talked about doing Ben Nevis but the weather was looking iffy and as it turned it the summit was completely clouded over about the time we would have been up there. Down where we stayed, to do the Glen Nevis Gorge, it was sunny and warm and fabulous. In fact in 2 weeks we saw rain 3 times, from Edinburgh to Stirling to Oban, out to the Isles of Mull and Iona, up to Ft. William, Inverness and surrounds, down through the Cairngorms National Park and back for 3 days in Edinburgh. It was sunny and warm almost every single day. In Edinburgh we hiked up to Salisbury Crag and the tip top of Arthur's Seat - the hard ways up, not the easy sloping trail to the left.

So, now it's time to think about a short section on the AT this Fall, maybe Newfound Gap back to Fontana.

I miss Scotland. :(

Blissful
09-13-2008, 12:41
Sounds like a super trip - I have heard that area is beautiful. Welcome back.

Manach
09-13-2008, 19:37
I can't even tell you how envious I am. If I ever manage to get to Scotland it will be a terribly hard thing getting me on a plane back to the states.

Congratulations on a wonderful trip.

Tennessee Viking
09-13-2008, 20:14
Lucky!

Did you happen to get a Nessy photo op?

johnnybgood
09-13-2008, 20:23
Welcome back to the states...and back to WhiteBlaze. I can't wait to see pics from your trip posted to your gallery.

Mrs Baggins
09-13-2008, 20:30
I'll figure out how to post some photos. I have 541 of them - and I still missed so many.

Dances with Mice
09-13-2008, 20:33
How was the Haggis?

Cookerhiker
09-13-2008, 21:06
You've made my mouth water with anticipation. Maybe next year. We're definitely returning to Ireland in the Spring - perhaps we'll jump to the next isle over!

JERMM
09-13-2008, 21:16
I'll figure out how to post some photos. I have 541 of them - and I still missed so many.

You can post a link to you photo album

Mrs Baggins
09-14-2008, 04:34
How was the Haggis?

We LOVED Haggis! We also love calves liver so we really enjoyed the mild livery taste of Haggis. It's different in every region of Scotland. In Inverness for instance it's more peppery (still excellent) than in Oban or Edinburgh. Tried black pudding as well and liked it.

I know the West Highland Way is only supposed to take 7 or 8 days. But it would take me at least 2 weeks - not because of distance and certainly not because of any difficult terrain - but because it's so drop dead gorgeous that I'd constantly be stopping just to stare at it all. On the hikes we did I would get about 50 feet and then have to stop to look around and soak it all in. The link below will get you into my web album of Scotland. I captioned most of the photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/athiker07/Scotland2008?authkey=LHa-WYYTvWc

Sly
09-14-2008, 04:43
I thought the subject title was "Kiss me?" LOL... Glad to hear you had a good time.

budforester
09-14-2008, 20:10
. The link below will get you into my web album of Scotland. I captioned most of the photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/athiker07/Scotland2008?authkey=LHa-WYYTvWc

Beautiful pics; thanks for sharing.