PDA

View Full Version : looking for ride/hiking partner

johnny quest
09-13-2008, 17:28
ive got some fitted orthotics i need to test out. im in the pensacola area looking to head up to georgia or alabama or tennessee and try them out. anbody heading that way for day, weekend or extended trip, let me know. i can buy gas. i just dont have a car.

johnny quest
09-13-2008, 17:28
oh, thats pensacola florida by the way.

papa john
09-13-2008, 19:07
I am going up there next week, but will be gone for about 10 days and will be on a motorcycle. If you want to head up to Erwin in October and do a longer hike, I am planning to drive up there and hike from Erwin to Damascus. I live in Mobile, Al.

johnny quest
09-14-2008, 10:44
october seems very possible. do you have dates yet?

tucker0104
09-14-2008, 10:50
I am in jacksonville and am headed up to do some of the bartram trail in october.

papa john
09-14-2008, 10:52
I was thinking about dirvin gup on the 6th due to a prior engagement. That has been canceled and I may now go up earlier, maybe the 1st of October. It is a 122 mile hike. The plan is to leave my vehicle in Damascus and get Lone Wolf to shuttle me back down to Erwin and hike back to the truck. Having someone to share the gas costs and all would be great. Planning about 13-14 miles a day on average. 9 trail days altogether. Let me know if you are interested and we can nail down some dates.

johnny quest
09-14-2008, 10:57
im very flexible. i had started a thru from maine but came off due to knee pain. im being fitted for some orthodics tomorrow in pcola that are supposed to help. i need to find somewhere with some incline to test/train. if things seem good then im there. i was averaging 13 miles a day thru the 100 mile and i think that was part of the problem...i pushed to far too soon. i would think the terrain your about to cover is less strenuous...but i may be wrong. i would have to feel pretty good about being able to keep up before i would sign on.

papa john
09-14-2008, 13:55
Keep in mind, those are averages. The terrain this section covers has some steep ups and downs, but also has some really flat areas where you can easily do big mileage days. 9 days is just the plan, if it takes longer, so be it. I am retired and have no place to be!

johnny quest
09-21-2008, 10:56
papa, let me know if your plans are on track. im going to "hike" the 5 story parking garage at the pensacola hospital tomorrow. its the closest thing to a mountain i can find. i wonder if they have switchbacks......

Ronnie Motrose
09-21-2008, 16:49
Another option other than hiking the hospital parking lot, is to go out to Perdido Key and hike along the crunchy sand dunes with a full pack. Hiking in the lose sand is a great way to get a good burn and workout for your legs. After your done with that you can head over to the Flora-Bama and kick back a few.