PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Stratos 40-is it enough?

Outofstep39
09-13-2008, 20:27
I was looking into this pack(Stratos Series : Stratos 40 : : Osprey Packs, Inc.) (http://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.php?productID=100&colorCode=554&tab=specifications) Just wondering how much space i need on the trail? im not an ultralight, but i wont be taking many creature comforts along.

my list as of now is:
Headlamp
Flashlight
Beltknife
2 nalgenes
dromedary
3x undrewear
4xsocks
shorts
t-shirt or 2
polypro
fleece
waterproofs
Travel hammock
6x10 tarp
550 line
Stove
1 liter pot
(mind you im starting march 1st so i may need more or less, feel free to critique, in fact please do!)

to this point i've only done 4 day trips at longest, or a minimalist trip(like knife and a lighter) so im just not experienced enough in the long haul to guage the space needed. I am devouring the information on this site but i need specific help.

please help me.

Kerosene
09-13-2008, 21:13
My opinion is, if you have to ask for someone else's opinion on a pack this small, then it isn't big enough for your equipment. Of course, the only way to really find out is to put all your gear into it, but unless you're running toward ultralight, then I think you'll want something of at least 50 liters or 3,000 cubic inches in volume.

Outofstep39
09-14-2008, 10:45
thanks for the input.

StubbleJumper
09-14-2008, 11:33
In the summer I use a 50 liter pack, and it's just large enough for me. Like you, I travel with a hammock, dry clothes including capilene long underwear, rain gear, and food. I find that my pack is slightly overloaded with a full load of food, but just about right when I'm down to 4 or 5 days of food.

For a winter/spring trip, you may need more space. Your equipment list did not include a sleeping bag, but presumably you carry one. In March, it'll likely be a slightly heavier and bulkier bag that is able to take you below freezing. You will also probably want to have a selection of clothing for both warm days and cool days. All of this takes space. For my gear, I'd probably look at 65 liters.....but you really have to try it out by putting all your gear in the pack, with a full food bag.

Just as an observation, with 4X socks and 3X underwear, you must be the best smelling person on the trail. I go with 2X socks and 1X underwear...remember, "No shower, more power." Also, 2 Nalgenes and 1 Dromedary is a significant amount of water carrying capacity....it might be pretty rare that all of this capacity would be required?

BookBurner
09-14-2008, 11:38
I presume you're considering a thru-hike? If I'm right and you'll be carrying several days of food, you definately will not have enough room in this pack with the gear list provided. I carry 10 pounds of gear and probably couldn't make this one work. As you research alternatives, know that this is a relatively heavy pack for the limited space it provides. Packs by ULA Equipment, Go-Lite, Mountain Laurel Designs, etc. provide much more space (3500 cu.in.) in a much lighter design (22 oz.).

You're probably in need of something in the 3500-4500 cu.in. range. That being said, if you want to hover at the lower end of the spectrum, consider making a few changes to your tentative gear list. Why not just take the headlamp and drop the flashlight? Three pairs of underwear? You can only wear one at a time and switching to clean underwear two days into a section only provides a breath of fresh air for about an hour until you sweat through the second pair. Same philosophy holds true for socks. Two pairs suffice for most until they can get to the laundry. The other two pairs will just sit damp and dirty in your pack taking up useless space. A fleece jacket is warm, but very bulky. To save space, consider a down jacket or vest. Finally, you could shrink your cooking pot. If you'll only be cooking for yourself, an 850 ml. pot will be plenty big enough. Unlike most gear, pots are rigid and don't compress. So they eat up a lot of fixed space in your pack. Keep them as small as you comfortably can and you'll have much more room for the rest of your stuff.

Good luck with the rest of your research and ultimatley with your trip!

BigBlue
09-14-2008, 12:37
I agree with BookBurner on the size of your pack although I would take 3 pair of socks, it's always nice to have a dry pair and they realy don't take up much room in the pack. I use a 38200 cu.in. pack and have plenty of room for 7 days worth of food, but would't go any less than 3200. Hope this helps, but ultimately you just need to load the pack you buy and see if it fits, if not take it back and get a bigger one. Watch the weight of the pack, they can get pretty heavy with the extra capacity.

Jack Tarlin
09-14-2008, 13:20
I'd look at the Osprey Atmos 50, unless you want to carry a great deal of your gear outside your pack.

daddytwosticks
09-14-2008, 13:43
Agree with everything stated above. Even with a 35 degree down bag, tarptent, and lightweight, compressable clothing, three days of food tends to fill up my Atmos 50 pretty tightly!

Outofstep39
09-14-2008, 15:13
Well this is informing, and slightly rattling.

So slash the stratos, i have just acquired a Marmot eiger 45, Cant beat brand new for $60 even if i dont use it on the thru. 2900cu, if i cut down on size and items, as bookburner said, could i make that work? Im checking out the packs burner listed as well, in the meantime.

I realize now the underwear and sock situation, but i do agree with blue on a fresh pair of camp socks.

Outofstep39
09-14-2008, 15:13
Oh and thanks for all the replies you guys have been alot of help

BookBurner
09-14-2008, 16:59
You sure can't pass up that price! But it's still a very heavy pack (4 1/2 lbs) for the size (2900 cu.in.). If budget concerns dictate its use, consider adding some shoulder strap pouches (check out www.zpack.com (http://www.zpack.com)), two side pouches to the existing compression straps, and make full use of the exisiting hipbelt and back pouches. Sure, you're adding more weight and expense, but you might get the overall loading capacity to the place where you need it. It'll still be tight, but it might work if you cut down on unnecessary gear. And by the way, I agree with the camp sock idea! When I made my original comments, I was only thinking about socks to hike in. You definately need a clean pair dedicated soley for the end of the day.

Peaks
09-14-2008, 17:16
I'd look at the Osprey Atmos 50, unless you want to carry a great deal of your gear outside your pack.

Another thing to look at is the weight rating of the pack. I've found that the Osprey Atmos pack is not comfortable to wear when approaching its weight capacity.

Outofstep39
09-15-2008, 01:01
Does anyone have experience with the GO-lite packs? I checked out the site on Bookburner's suggestion and liked what i saw, but first-hand experience is a good teacher.
Bookburner, you're right of course the eiger is heavy. And the z-pack link isnt working for me? thanks a ton for all your help.

FamilyGuy
09-15-2008, 10:57
I have a Golite Jam 2 (not to mention a few other packs - all framed) and think the quality is very good, the fit is excellent (for me - 19.75 torso using the Large version) and can carry well up to about 22 pounds for me all day.

This is the first frameless pack that I own and I made the switch only because I used a friends ULA Equipment Relay for a trip with 20 pounds and suddenly realized that I simply did not need a framed pack. What a revelation! I was comfortable - the pack formed to my back.

Having said this - if you are getting up to 25 pounds, an internal (or external) framed pack would probably work better. At that weight the pack will tend to fold over on itself.

I can't comment on any other Golite Packs.

On a side note, I used an Arcteryx Needle 45 for a 6 day trip in the fall in the Rocky Mountains and it worked fine with all of my gear (I had a tent as well) so 40L may be okay for you on the Osprey. In fact, the Stratos 40 looks bigger than the Atmos in the Store.

BookBurner
09-15-2008, 11:16
I've used the old Go-Lite Jam (I) for a couple of years. I find it to be an excellent thru-hiking pack for hikers carrying reasonably lightweight gear. So I would anticipate the II to be just as good. I've never had one stitch pull out or seam pop over the course of probably 800 miles of trail. I also find it to be very comfortable. The absence of hipbelt padding and bloated shoulder straps does not make one bit of difference in my comfort level. You only need that stuff when your pack weighs 5 pounds empty!

Blissful
09-15-2008, 11:33
Can't go wrong with Osprey packs, and they are popular on the trail. An early March start means late winter gear, don't forget. It can snow until April and have single digits temps.

But get your gear first then head for the outfitter for the pack. I didn't see your sleeping pag and pad, that will also dictate pack size.

Outofstep39
09-15-2008, 22:45
You guys are great, thanks.

Matteroo
09-16-2008, 03:24
another consideration, though like many, as a personal preference. Nalagene bottles weigh something like 5 or 6oz each and are bulky, often being a difficult task/constantly irritating to get them in and out of the mesh/elastic/etc pockets on a lot of packs - everything from day packs to monster sized packs have the space for 'nalagene' but many are designed to simply fit a nalagene, not actually have it fit well when you have your backpack fully loaded with gear and bulging at the sides.

the 1 liter Mt. Dew, Pepsi, and even AquaFina bottles are a bit taller but have a smaller diameter which makes it a lot easier to get them in and out of a full pack. I think the 1 liter vitamin water bottles are a bit more stout than the soda bottles but not as stout as a nalagene, and I know they have a 'wide' (1inch~) mouth on them which is often helpful for dealing with refilling/treatment/etc on the trail.

ULA brand packs have a large large mesh pouch where I can fit 2 liters of h20 pretty comfy and securely into them on my catalyst. its a weight saver and something to keep in mind if you get a smaller pack, getting the nalagene in can be nearly impossible--