PDA

View Full Version : Ground sleeper

middle to middle
09-14-2008, 14:20
I like to be connected firmly to the earth. Love having my roots in dirt. Or wherever even on rocks. I actually once slept on glass. Set up exhausted after dark and when I broke camp in the morning found that the spot years ago was obviously a garbage spot for an abandoned house nearby. New green grass had grown over and it looked good to me in the moon light. The glass edges were not too sharp, had been dulled down in time. I had a Thermarest air pad that was not punctured. I have a hammock in the back yard and love it too but actually prefer the ground. I guess a hammock does get you above the night sniffers but you miss rolling over and sleeping face down.

STEVEM
09-14-2008, 18:19
Any day you wake up on the dirt is way better than the day you sleep soundly under the dirt. Ever think of using the name: "Dump Napper".

Manach
09-14-2008, 21:14
You can sleep on your stomach in a hammock. Chuck a few handfuls of dirt in there maybe?

Hooch
09-14-2008, 21:55
I don't mind a bit to leave the ground to the animals where they should be. Leave more trees to hang from for the rest of us. :eek::rolleyes::D

mudcap
09-14-2008, 22:51
I like to be connected firmly to the earth. Love having my roots in dirt. Or wherever even on rocks. I actually once slept on glass. Set up exhausted after dark and when I broke camp in the morning found that the spot years ago was obviously a garbage spot for an abandoned house nearby. New green grass had grown over and it looked good to me in the moon light. The glass edges were not too sharp, had been dulled down in time. I had a Thermarest air pad that was not punctured. I have a hammock in the back yard and love it too but actually prefer the ground. I guess a hammock does get you above the night sniffers but you miss rolling over and sleeping face down.

I wish I was as tough as you. I like something between me and the dirt. Tyvek is just fine w/ me. I would not feel like I gained a thing by sticking my nose in the dirt.

middle to middle
09-15-2008, 20:47
I throw a ground cloth down. Don't like dirt that much

mudcap
09-16-2008, 10:07
OK,now I get it. I agree,I like the ground,but I do like something between me and the dirt.

middle to middle
10-01-2008, 12:11
My wife says I am an agressive roller in my sleep. I start out on a mat and just roll around and wake up in dirt or whatever over yonder. That is how it happens.

Summit
10-01-2008, 16:16
I don't mind a bit to leave the ground to the animals where they should be. Leave more trees to hang from for the rest of us. :eek::rolleyes::DTrees are for bats and the ground is for creepy crawling thangs! :D :p Give me a suspended on air BA mattress any day! :)

Haiku
10-01-2008, 16:20
Not only do I like sleeping on the ground, but I love sleeping out in the open as well. Give me a good cowboy camp any day. That's one thing I love about the PCT - no worries about overnight precipitation. Sure you might get a little dew in the morning if you're in a low spot but you can dry your bag in about 20 seconds once the sun climbs in the sky. Get comfortable enough with setting up your shelter so that you can sleep out in the air, and set it up in a flash if you need to - I was once woken by snowfall on top of a mountain after hiking in the desert all day!

Haiku.

middle to middle
03-29-2015, 02:18
yes I know the desert mountain snow experiance, it is truly awsome.