PDA

View Full Version : Cost of PCT vs. AT

atromic
09-14-2008, 22:19
My girlfriend and I are planning a long distance hike starting this spring. We have talked about the AT, but the PCT pictures/journals I have seen recently are pretty spectacular. We both grew up on the East coast and have been to many of the states the the AT goes through, whereas the PCT is completely uncharted territory.

Unfortunately we are both broke ass college students, so $$ is definitely a priority. Assuming we both have to start at pretty much square 1 as far as gear, which trail would cost more to complete? We were shooting for a may start on the AT, starting in April would mean 1 less month to save up for the trail, and one more month of rent that would need to buy paid without a job to support it.

Sly
09-14-2008, 23:43
PCT will cost more but, since the best starting date is late April you'll have more time to save.

Personally, I wouldn't leave home without having $3-4000 if I intended on completing the trail. If you don't smoke or drink, it will be much cheaper. Expect to invest $750-1000 for gear and $4-600 for transportation, to and from, unless you take the bus.

That's times two...

A-Train
09-14-2008, 23:53
Yea, PCT will cost more. While I think you can hike the PCT on the cheap, it's easier to do a budget hike on the AT. Hiking on a serious budget is definately a much greater challenge for a couple, especially if you guys haven';t thru-hiked before.

Can't go wrong with either trail. I recommend the PCT if you will do one. It's worth saving up some extra money to have a great time. If you wanna make the money badly enough, you'll find a way.

Good luck. Where do you go to school in Burlington?

atromic
09-15-2008, 07:53
Saving up 3g's while finishing school, and taking my first licensing test (engineering) will be tough, but not impossible...especially since I have Christmas, graduation, and a birthday between now and then to grovel for gear. Also, my brothers girlfriend works for an airline and can get us extremely discounted tickets ($50 to anywhere in the US), so that will be a huge help.

I would really like to do the PCT, but the AT just seems a lot more attainable, both in cost, and logistics. My gf is currently thru hiking the LT, so I'll run my plan by her on Wednesday when I hear from her next.

A-Train>> Both of us went to UVM. She graduated this past spring, I'm finished in December.

Lyle
09-15-2008, 08:33
Sly and A-Train,

Not doubting your assessment, but why is the PCT more expensive? Other than initial travel costs for us East Coasters or Midwesterners. Conventional wisdom says that the frequent town stops and party atmosphere on the AT are what drives up the cost. This has got to be less of a problem on the PCT, but I know it's getting more common/frequent on the PCT too as the years pass.

Sly
09-15-2008, 08:39
Sly and A-Train,

Not doubting your assessment, but why is the PCT more expensive? Other than initial travel costs for us East Coasters or Midwesterners. Conventional wisdom says that the frequent town stops and party atmosphere on the AT are what drives up the cost. This has got to be less of a problem on the PCT, but I know it's getting more common/frequent on the PCT too as the years pass.

The AT may have more frequent town stops but the PCT is longer so there's roughly the same number of resupplies. There's not as many cheap hostels, but so you're staying in motels more often.

Also, food, in stores and restaurants, tends to be a little higher in price.

Lyle
09-15-2008, 08:44
Saving up 3g's while finishing school, and taking my first licensing test (engineering) will be tough, but not impossible...especially since I have Christmas, graduation, and a birthday between now and then to grovel for gear.

Just a word of advice here. While groveling, either ask for cash and do your own shopping, or ask for very specific items. "A Campmore 20* down bag", not "A 20* bag".
You will be much happier, trust me. The only exception to this would be if a very experienced long-distance hiker were the one doing the gift buying. Most of your friends and especially your relatives will have no experience and will go only on the recommendations of the sales people. Not always bad, but usually. :D

Best bet is to print out web pages or get a catalog and mark exactly what you would like. Using the catalog, you can choose various items in different price ranges, then suggest that folks go together for some of the more pricey items. That way they still get to choose what to buy you and how much to spend.

Just some cautions based on years of asking for outdoor gear. This is the best way to get things you will really be happy with.

Best of luck on your hike!

Sly
09-15-2008, 08:46
I would really like to do the PCT, but the AT just seems a lot more attainable, both in cost, and logistics. My gf is currently thru hiking the LT, so I'll run my plan by her on Wednesday when I hear from her next.

The AT is a great trail but the PCT blows the AT away in scenery and diversity. The first thing you need to do is save money. Although some times it may appear so, planning for either is not overwhelming, and for the most part gear is about the same. With such cheap tickets cross country, I'd be there in a heart beat. Give it some thought.

A-Train
09-15-2008, 10:55
Alright, UVMer's, I'm part of the class of 2005.5 (December graduate, took semester off to hike the AT).

Sly is right on all acounts. Just save like crazy, even if you don't know what trail you're hiking and go for the lightest (but affordable) gear. I'm sure you're very familiar with OGE, but they are a great resource-affordable gear, and you can sell your older stuff there to gain money. I put over 100 bucks towards new stuff for the PCT there which was all from re-selling.

Lyle- again, Sly is correct. For me, I felt I needed to rest more and live it up on the PCT, to recharge my batteries. It's not uncommon to hitch 15-30 miles to a town, so I felt it was often logical to take a zero, split a room,etc. and motels, groceries, restaurants seemed more expensive out West. The smaller resort places you're often reliant on out West will nickle and dime you to death.
While the AT has infinite possibilities to spend lots of coin, one can often skip many of these places with the close proximity to the next one. Also more hostels on the AT.

There is some good advice on the site for folks looking to save money. Certainly if you're a beer/alcohol drinker, coffee drinker, cigarette smoker/drug user these are all good things to give up on that will instantly put a lot more money back in your pocket.

BookBurner
09-15-2008, 11:06
To stretch what budget you have, embrace the idea of ultralight gear. The vast majority of UL gear is cheaper than the heavier, overly-engineered stuff you'll find at an REI. With UL gear, you'll also hike further over the course of a week than you otherwise would thereby reducing the overall length of your trip and the associated food and lodging expenses. And oh yeah, in my opinion, you'll enjoy yourself 10x more than if you muled 25 pounds of gear from Georgia to Maine!

Blissful
09-15-2008, 11:25
To stretch what budget you have, embrace the idea of ultralight gear. The vast majority of UL gear is cheaper than the heavier, overly-engineered stuff you'll find at an REI. With UL gear, you'll also hike further over the course of a week than you otherwise would thereby reducing the overall length of your trip and the associated food and lodging expenses. And oh yeah, in my opinion, you'll enjoy yourself 10x more than if you muled 25 pounds of gear from Georgia to Maine!

Actually I think 25 lb to be pretty light for a thru hike- ? I muled a little more than that and had a good time, though the trail is still tough to complete no matter what load you are carrying.

Agree that going lighter makes for a faster, more enjoyable trip and less chance of injury. I guess cost wise - if you decide to make some of your ultralight gear you would save. But some of the ultra light sutff can be expensive too. Now's the time to hunt for deals, and check out the selling gear forum.

atromic
09-15-2008, 11:33
Thanks for the advice, you guys were a huge help. I guess at this point I will just start saving money and accumulating gear, and make a judgment call later on as far as which trail I end up doing. I'm definitely a beer drinker/coffee drinker/drug user, but I am willing to make huge sacrifices to make this trip work.

As far as a pack, would a Vapor Trail 3600 be large enough for all the gear I would need on the PCT? I had a friend who bought a used one for next to nothing at OGE and loved it on the long trail.

BookBurner
09-15-2008, 11:56
With lightweight, low bulk gear, you could make the VT 3600 work. Add some shoulder strap pouches if you need a little more room. And Blissful is right, a 25-pound pack is great. I meant to more clearly suggest that carrying 25 pounds of gear alone is not.

A-Train
09-15-2008, 11:57
Thanks for the advice, you guys were a huge help. I guess at this point I will just start saving money and accumulating gear, and make a judgment call later on as far as which trail I end up doing. I'm definitely a beer drinker/coffee drinker/drug user, but I am willing to make huge sacrifices to make this trip work.

As far as a pack, would a Vapor Trail 3600 be large enough for all the gear I would need on the PCT? I had a friend who bought a used one for next to nothing at OGE and loved it on the long trail.

Yes. A couple years ago the Vapor Trail was basially the official pack of thru-hikers, until ULA started gaining popularity. You still see tons of Granite Gear packs on AT and PCT thru-hikers. Grab it if you find a good deal, it's near perfect for a light weight thru-hiker that occasionally wants to haul some weight.

Sly
09-15-2008, 11:59
It's amazing how small some of the packs are on the trail. The Vapor Trail should be fine but, if you can check out some others, all the better. I try to carry 15 lbs without food or water.

Here's a link to Mag's PCT Handout with tons of valuable info

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=559357&postcount=1

partinj
09-15-2008, 12:23
Hi you can also check out Thrift store they can be a gold mine for hiking gear. Just a few day ago i found a rei goose down jacket new with the tags still on it cost me a whole $3.00 also found a msr pocket rocket stove new still in the box that was yesday found a coleman peak 1 new in the box to i found all kind of hiking stuff that if i got at retail would be whole lot more. Yet don't forget yard sales too
:-?

SunnyWalker
09-15-2008, 13:21
Partinj: where is that thfrit store?? Thanks bud.

mts4602
09-15-2008, 13:56
What's OGE?

atromic
09-15-2008, 14:49
Outdoor Gear Exchange... It's a great outfitter in Burlington vermont. They sell new stuff (at significantly lower prices than larger places), and also let you sell your old gear through them. They just take a cut of whatever price you end up selling it for.

mudcap
09-15-2008, 15:29
Outdoor Gear Exchange... It's a great outfitter in Burlington vermont. They sell new stuff (at significantly lower prices than larger places), and also let you sell your old gear through them. They just take a cut of whatever price you end up selling it for.

I drive to OGE a couple times each year,about a 350 mile round trip. I love that place. Took my brother there this past winter,we walked in the door...all he could say was,holy sh**,now this IS a store. Great deals and tons of equipment.Burlington is one of my favorite places.

Whatever you decide,have a great trip.

flemdawg1
09-15-2008, 15:46

gearx.com?

rafe
09-15-2008, 18:06
Yes. A couple years ago the Vapor Trail was basially the official pack of thru-hikers, until ULA started gaining popularity. You still see tons of Granite Gear packs on AT and PCT thru-hikers. Grab it if you find a good deal, it's near perfect for a light weight thru-hiker that occasionally wants to haul some weight.

Does that hold true for the PCT as well? I'm not sure I'd enjoy cramming a Garcia bear canister into a Vapor Trail pack. I'm glad I was using the next size up (ie., Nimbus Ozone.) With a 15-lb base weight and PCT-like resupply intervals, it seems to me the Vapor Trail might be touch-and-go.

mudcap
09-15-2008, 18:23
gearx.com?

Correct Flem. Great website,even better in person...much more gear than on the web.

bmac
09-16-2008, 12:36
I've never been to OGE, however there is a similar place in Baltimore, MD called H&H Campers Haven. I haven't been there in a few years, however I remember it being like 1 city block full of backpacking, camping, and military gear. It may be worth checking out if you're passing through Maryland.

http://www.citypaper.com/bob/story.asp?id=7836

http://maps.google.com/maps?near=424+N+Eutaw+St,+Baltimore,+MD+21201&geocode=&q=H%26H&f=l&sll=39.294449,-76.621232&sspn=0.011209,0.019312&ie=UTF8&ll=39.294471,-76.62127&spn=0.011209,0.019312&z=16

atromic
09-16-2008, 14:27
Would it be cheaper to sew my own bag? Sleeping bags are ridiculously expensive from what I've seen. This seems like an area where I could really cut down on cost, and it would be a pretty cool project as well. Are there any good guides on here for doing that? I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything that goes into as much detail as I would need.

Sly
09-16-2008, 14:33
I used a Campmor 20* down bag on the PCT and it did fine. Only paid $109, they're cheap, but functional.

Mr. Parkay
09-16-2008, 15:22
I'd say the PCT is cheaper than the AT, providing that you don't stay in too many hotels. The reason is because the PCT is a faster trail (even though it is longer), so most people will finish it a few weeks faster, or even more than a month faster... which adds up to some substantial savings.

But, as some other people mentioned, there is more incentive to stay in hotels on the pct, which drives up the cost for most people.

Mags
09-16-2008, 18:46
Quality Gear on the Cheap: If you read those glossy outdoor magazines, you'd think you need a $300 pack, a $300 shell and a $300 fleece. You do not need expensive gear to enjoy backpacking. Often the brand name gear, besides being expensive, is heavy, bulky and overkill for what is supposed to be for the simple joy of walking.

Though written for the Appalachian Trail, the general concepts apply for quality gear on the cheap:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=206678#post206678

Some additional information I will add is that you should invest in a decent sleeping bag. The Campmor down bag is rated to 20F and is known as a good budget bag.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=86896&memberId=12500226

If you are looking for a light, compressible and warm jacket check out an army liner jacket
(mentioned in the above article, but deserves to be emphasized) : http://tinyurl.com/2dfgpk

If you don't mind a bit of sewing, you can make a Montbell Thermwrap clone for less than $20 with the above liner jacket. A men's large comes in at 12oz! Considering a Montbell Thermawrap is $150 and weights 10oz, the cheap way is nice for those on a budget on who need something warm, light and cheap!

Check it out: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41034

Needlong underwear, hats, socks, hats, mittens, etc? Check out Warm Stuff Distributing (formerly known as the Underwear Guys) http://www.theunderwearguys.com (http://www.theunderwearguys.com/) All the basics at excellent prices. The items tend to be off-brand, surplus and/or factory irregulars. However, I personally think the off-brand, surplus or irregular is as good (and sometimes better than) the Patagucci clothing. Sometimes warmer, sometimes lighter weight... always cheaper!

Finally, for high altitude/desert hiking I suggest a long sleeve polyester dress shirt for the princely sum of $4 from many thrift stores. I've used this type of shirt for literally several thousand miles of backpacking.

The shirt has a handy front pocket that I can stick a map in, too!

atromic
09-16-2008, 21:40
Thanks for the link Mags, there is an incredible amount of great info there.

I'm really blown away by how helpful you all have been. All of the forums I have posted on previously have been packed full of ******** who would have bitched me out for not spending hours with the search function instead of just asking a simple question. I really appreciate it, and I am now extremely excited for this trip. Making it through 4 more months of school seems infinitely harder at this point than getting my gear, and planning everything out.

WetBottom
09-16-2008, 21:47
I've found the people here amazingly helpful and knowledgeable as well. It's nice to know that people are willing to take some time out to answer questions for strangers. :)

Mags
09-16-2008, 21:49
You'll have a blast.

The PCT is perhaps the best pure hiker's trail: Good grades, nice views, well marked.

For many, it is their favorite of Triple Crown trails.

(Not me, I can't decided which of the three is the "best" ! :) )

TwoForty
09-18-2008, 22:57
Does that hold true for the PCT as well? I'm not sure I'd enjoy cramming a Garcia bear canister into a Vapor Trail pack. I'm glad I was using the next size up (ie., Nimbus Ozone.) With a 15-lb base weight and PCT-like resupply intervals, it seems to me the Vapor Trail might be touch-and-go.

I saw a guy cram his BearVault on top of the VT. The straps on top work perfect for it. That said, I only saw a handful of GG packs pn the PCT and most were with the Nimbus suspension, not the Vapor. Not saying it won't work....
Gossamer Gear and of course ULA were very well accounted for. Really, almost every kind of pack I could think of was represented for out there.

yappy
09-18-2008, 23:14
I have the vapor and it does really well. I would change one thing... mesh pockets. I also agree the Pct COULD be spendier. The At can suck ya dry with all the towns. be prepared to hike by alot of them if ya wanna save money..esp. the NE. The extra 500 miles on Pct does tip the scales though. it is such a terrific hike....would do it again in a minute if I could...:)

atromic
09-21-2008, 17:31
I met up with my gf this weekend and apparently she needs to be in NJ this July for a wedding, which definitely rules out the PCT (even though she said she would rather do it if we had the choice).

In other news I bought a vapor trail at outdoor gear exchange and took it out for a spin for a quick weekend trip. It worked out great... I had my pack at around 30 lbs, and this was with a bunch of my dads old gear, so I should be in the 20s once I get some of my new stuff. I hiked past the point where the AT splits with the LT, and there was a little message written on the sign:

"quit your job
sell your house
rent out your car
lose your spouse
come with us, we're going to maine
things will never be the same"

Tilly
09-21-2008, 17:37
"quit your job
sell your house
rent out your car
lose your spouse
come with us, we're going to maine
things will never be the same"

Oohh, I'd bet the author of that poem is pretty young...

atromic
09-22-2008, 09:23
"Oohh, I'd bet the author of that poem is pretty young..."

Yes, I would imagine so, but I thought it was pretty appropriate considering that it's pretty much what I am doing. After 23 years of school I am ready to drop everything for a while and live on my own terms. I am extremely fortunate to have very minimal dept from school loans, so this is the perfect time for me to do it. If I don't I'm sure I will regret it for the rest of my life. There will be plenty of time to grow up and start a career, family, etc when I get back.

rafe
09-22-2008, 10:43
FWIW, I took my Vapor Trail out this weekend for an overnight in the Presidentials. Total weight was about 22 pounds. It carried very nicely. I've got a GG Nimbus Ozone that I use for longer treks, but the Vapor Trail is my choice for short hikes and lighter loads.

A-Train
09-22-2008, 11:33

The Catalyst was definately the most popular on the PCT. Many Granite Gears (VT, Ozone, Virga, Vapor Ki) but less so than probably a couple years ago. A whole smattering of lightweight packs from homeade ones to Gossamer to SixMoons, etc.

I saw a few people use the bearvault cannisters in the Vapor Trail, it's doable. Most of the ultra lite weenies didn't carry canisters and rolled the dice, which I don't recommend.

Jim Adams
09-23-2008, 00:40
I found the PCT to be waaaayyy more expensive. Try to find a cheeseburger, fries and a drink on the PCT for less than $15-$20. Saw a foil pack of tuna with a price of $6.50.
I found the AT far cheaper.
AT hostels around $20...PCT motels around $100.
Work until June, save more money and then start the PCT at Kennedy Meadows. Almost fits your schedule, makes you more money, no reason to hike south of KM.
I hiked 1000 miles from the border to almost Yosemite...ran out of money and was bored.
OTOH, I can't wait to thru the AT again.

geek

atromic
09-23-2008, 11:10
Its definitely going to be the AT now since my gf is going to be a bridesmaid in July for her cousins wedding. I'm sure we will get around to doing to PCT in a couple years.

Got my campmor 20 deg today...Going up into the mountains again this weekend to test it out.

Jim Adams
09-23-2008, 11:17
Got my campmor 20 deg today...Going up into the mountains again this weekend to test it out.

Good choice.

geek

Sly
09-23-2008, 12:30
I found the PCT to be waaaayyy more expensive. Try to find a cheeseburger, fries and a drink on the PCT for less than $15-$20. Saw a foil pack of tuna with a price of $6.50.

AT hostels around $20...PCT motels around $100.

OTOH, I can't wait to thru the AT again.

geek

Geez geek where's you buy you stuff? The west isn't THAT much more.

Try the CDT. IMO, it's the best of the three.

flemdawg1
09-23-2008, 16:48
Its definitely going to be the AT now since my gf is going to be a bridesmaid in July for her cousins wedding. I'm sure we will get around to doing to PCT in a couple years.

Tell your GF not to get her bridesmaid dress fitted before May atleast, she'll probably lose afew of sizes along the way.