PDA

View Full Version : Materials

Reid
09-14-2008, 23:25
I've got a tarp made of poly taffeta and am curious if this material is made to use as a shelter? Considering silnylon and other materials. Why are tarps made of different materials? Are they made for certain things? That's an idiot quesion about why they are made of different materials but in general, if silnylon is the best for a shelter, why would companies make em' out of poly taffeta?

NICKTHEGREEK
09-16-2008, 06:29
I've got a tarp made of poly taffeta and am curious if this material is made to use as a shelter? Considering silnylon and other materials. Why are tarps made of different materials? Are they made for certain things? That's an idiot quesion about why they are made of different materials but in general, if silnylon is the best for a shelter, why would companies make em' out of poly taffeta?
I'm not in the business, but price, ease of construction, weight, and design durability might be decision points.

Feral Bill
09-16-2008, 20:39
Silnylon is much more expensive and much lighter than taffetas. If the poly is fully waterproof it should make a good tarp.