PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boys, Bad Boys, Whatcha Gonna Do

attroll
03-13-2004, 17:34
This was passed on to me originating from the Georgia AT Club.

There is allegedly a group of thru-hikers headed north on the A.T. that may be using methamphetamines. If A.T. maintainers would check shelter registers they are passing for any mention of this type activity and record the comments (not remove the registers), particularly Trail Names, real names, comments, complaints, dates, etc. the information may prove useful in their apprehension.

_________ asked if volunteers could check the southerly trail registers. There may be information that identifies the drug using group or perhaps there will be citizen complaints about the activity and participants. I don't think it is practical or expedient to make a special trip to check the registers but if maintainers are heading to their shelter, can you ask them (through the club) to be on the lookout for such information; trail names, real names, complaints, etc. Nor do I think maintainers should pull the registers but ask that they write down any suspicious comments. If needed for evidence (unlikely), then we would ask for selected registers to be gathered.

FatMan
03-13-2004, 19:31
They should be easy to find. They are the ones "Speeding" past the others:bse

DeoreDX
03-13-2004, 19:39

There is allegedly a group of thru-hikers headed north on the A.T. that may be using methamphetamines.
On a similar but unrelated note... we passes a couple of hikers going down Blood Mountain towards Neels Gap last weekend and these two guys were obviously stoned off their rockers. They didn't even notice us approaching them until we passed them on a straight wide section of trail. Hiking down Blood Mountain is not something I'd want to do with my faculties impared.

steve hiker
03-13-2004, 20:23
There is allegedly a group of thru-hikers headed north on the A.T. that may be using methamphetamines.
Excuse me for being somewhat naive about this, but does speed make users especially erratic or dangerous? Or is it just an internal high, like pot, that should bother nobody?

Unless these people are using substances that will cause them to act dangerously or violently toward others, I think its very foolish to turn them in or notify law enforcement. Do you really want the cops searching your pack at every road crossing and staging surprise searches at shelters?

okpik
03-13-2004, 20:47
Excuse me for being somewhat naive about this, but does speed make users especially erratic or dangerous? Or is it just an internal high, like pot, that should bother nobody?
Methamphetamine (“meth,”
“speed,” “crystal,” and “ice” are
among its more than 170 street names)
is a powerful central nervous system
stimulant. A synthetic form of amphetamine
that is chemically similar to
adrenaline, it can be smoked, snorted,
orally ingested, or injected. It produces
an initial feeling of alertness and elation,
along with a variety of adverse reactions.
High percentages of methamphetamine
users have reported such problems as
paranoia, hallucinations, and violent
behavior.
The “rush” and “high” the user experiences
are believed to result from the
release of high levels of dopamine into
areas of the brain that regulate feelings
of pleasure. One reason for meth’s popularity
is that its effects are longer lasting
than those of cocaine. Long-term, the
drug can lead to addiction. Abusers
often experience delusions, anxiety,
convulsions, extreme paranoia, mood
swings, hallucinations, and homicidal
and suicidal thoughts. Injection can
increase the risk of transmitting hepatitis
B and C and HIV. Prolonged use may lead
to brain damage or death.
U.S. Department of Justice, National
Institute of Justice, May 1999 (NCJ 176331);
and 1998 Annual Report on Methamphetamine
Use Among Arrestees, Research Report,
Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice,
National Institute of Justice, 1999 (NCJ
175660).

I wouldn't want to fall asleep and snore and piss off one of these live wires who ain't goin' to sleep and never wake up. A wrong look to a paranoid is deadly. Things go bump in the night and hallucinations cause reactions. I also doubt if these gents are unarmed. Just my 2 cents

steve hiker
03-13-2004, 21:04
Thanks for the info okpic. But I have a more basic question, based on the above quote from attroll. Is there any evidence that there is a gang of meth heads heading north on the A.T.? Who, according to you, are no doubt armed?

DeoreDX thinks she saw a couple of stoners at Blood Mountain last weekend. Okaaaaaay .....

I really don't want to see the peace and solitude of the A.T. disturbed by undercover and uniformed cops, perhaps for many years to come, because of erroneous reports of armed bad boys that "may" be out there.

smokymtnsteve
03-13-2004, 21:59
They didn't even notice us approaching them until we passed them on a straight wide section of trail. Hiking down Blood Mountain is not something I'd want to do with my faculties impared.
May I ask a question were you coming up from behind them??

I am almost deaf and can't hear folks coming up behind me, maybe that is why they didn't notice you.

and another question....other than thinking that there my be some meth-heads on the trail ..have thier been any reports of other trouble from them???
or just that they are using meth? have thier been any altercations? do we have an approximate location???

oruoja
03-13-2004, 22:23
Having been myself in law enforcement for 23 years and now done with it I can understand the concern of some folks over others being "doped up." However, unless there are serious reports of harassment, theft, etc. by alleged "druggies" I say let them be. Unfortunately, many law enforcement folks could take this generalistic complaint as a "warrant" to roust any hikers who might happen through their jurisdiction. My apologies to any of the common sense oriented and decent cops out there who actually follow solid probable cause doctrine before pushing buttons, but I have seen way too many of the other kind who would salivate uncontrollaby to be able to "jack up" anybody for a "bust". Also, folks remember that many times it's not the average officer's idea to be assertive, but many departments suffer from poor management which really puts the screws to the rank and file to "perform or else". I know, I regretably worked for such an agency. Just remember while on the trail to use your own common sense and if someone or something doesn't appear right, just push on. Trust you instincts and don't worry about being politically correct as your gut feeling feeling could keep you out of harms way. Better safe than sorry!!

DeoreDX
03-14-2004, 01:13
DeoreDX thinks she saw a couple of stoners at Blood Mountain last weekend. Okaaaaaay .....

First off I'm a he...

and I've been around stoned people enough in my life to know when a couple of guys are lit up on pot. The visual signs... and smells were all there. I'm not saying it's a bad thing or good thing., I personally do not care what someone else does it's their life. I know I wouldn't want to scramble down a pretty rocky trail high on dope. I had a hard enough time sitting in a chair after using the stuff.

DeoreDX
03-14-2004, 01:23
Oh... I've seen plenty a folk sitting around a camp fire with a bowl or a joint... but after lunch descending 1500' in less then 2 miles with a couple of large well loaded external frame packs? One of the guy's sleeping bag had become unrolled and it was dragging along the ground behind him barely clinging to his pack. I told him that his sleeping bag was falling out. He turned around and looked over his left shoulder, the turned and looked over his right shoulder, and then repeated the act a couple of times trying to look at the pack on his back. Not seeing anything he continued on with his sleeping bag dragging the ground precariously attached to his pack by the hood. It was like a scene straight out of a bad sitcom.

okpik
03-14-2004, 07:23
I really don't want to see the peace and solitude of the A.T. disturbed by undercover and uniformed cops, perhaps for many years to come, because of erroneous reports of armed bad boys that "may" be out there.

If you are doing nothing wrong, why should law enforcement agents of any kind bother you? These, if they exist, are not pot heads. They are on a very serious drug with all the complications I already mentioned. Armed or not, and I'm sorry for over dramatizing, they are prone to erratic behavior which can be violent. Hike your own hike as the saying goes but why shun help because of some ilbegottened attitude about "The Man"

Besides, the likelyhood of them staying true to any hike is nil, they, like this thread will be gone in no time.

Lone Wolf
03-14-2004, 08:42
Meth is a major problem in and around Damascus. Last Wednesday, Federal, State, County and local cops raided a house 4 doors down from me. The idiots were "cooking" as the cops busted in. I hate dopers.

smokymtnsteve
03-14-2004, 10:21
First off I'm a he...

I know I wouldn't want to scramble down a pretty rocky trail high on dope. I had a hard enough time sitting in a chair after using the stuff.

and the good part of this deoreDX is that NOBODY is going to make you scramble down a pretty rocky trail high on dope..

isn't freedom wonderful!

smokymtnsteve
03-14-2004, 11:26
and another question....other than thinking that there my be some meth-heads on the trail ..have thier been any reports of other trouble from them???
or just that they are using meth? have thier been any altercations? do we have an approximate location???

these are very serious questions .... has anyone heard of any information of problems or altercations by this supposed group??? anyone have any location information?

bluelight
03-14-2004, 12:03
I spoke with the law enforcement ranger at Amicalola on March 10th and he said that they were in the Smokies.

smokymtnsteve
03-14-2004, 12:44
thanks bluelight...any reports of altercations between this group and other hikers?

Appalachian Outfitte
03-14-2004, 16:29
thanks bluelight...any reports of altercations between this group and other hikers?
I heard some hikers were drinking in the Paddlers pub got drunk and went hiking!

Kozmic Zian
03-14-2004, 17:02
:-? ..........

Brushy Sage
03-14-2004, 19:23
I'll probably get slapped around for this: The AT does not offer a free-for-all environment; it is a linear national park, ultimately under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service. Some behaviors are seriously illegal; I think meth use is one of them. To me it is in quite a different category from weed (also illegal). Seems to me we might be interested in supporting the law enforcement people wherever possible, and get those hikers off the AT; they are only giving us, and the trail, a bad reputation.

Blue Jay
03-14-2004, 19:31
The key word in all this is "allegedly". The last thing we need is a thruhiker Witch Hunt.

Chip
03-14-2004, 19:59
ATTroll,
Thanks for the info. I will be working on my section next weekend. Garrenflo
Gap to DeerPark Shelter. By the way FYI to all headed NOBO. There are a few blowdowns on this section that we have to clear away. We are working on it. Hope to have all clear soon.

Just my 2 cents on the druggies or any other weirdo. Common sense is keep your distance from them when you recognize the situation. If the person(s)
bother you or someone else on the trail report to the authorities as soon as possible. Remember sometimes you can get clear of these jerks and some how they tend to be a pest like a lost dog who follows you as you head up the trail.

Be safe, be happy and have a great hike !!!!! :)

c.coyle
03-14-2004, 20:31
I wouldn't want to fall asleep and snore and piss off one of these live wires who ain't goin' to sleep and never wake up. A wrong look to a paranoid is deadly. Things go bump in the night and hallucinations cause reactions. I also doubt if these gents are unarmed. Just my 2 cents

This has all the hallmarks of an urban legend. Now they're armed, hallucinatin', and homicidal!! :eek:

smokymtnsteve
03-14-2004, 20:51
I heard some hikers were drinking in the Paddlers pub got drunk and went hiking!

yea I've been to the paddlers pub...

I guess my point is that unless this group of allegedly meth-head hikers are actively attacking other hikers or becoming aggressive toward others ..then that is info that is important. heck, the military has given soldiers/pilot amphetamines before, now I don't think it is a good idea and I wouldn't do them myself except under a doctor's supervision...but as long as they are not hurting others ...then it is thier body they are doing it to.

smokymtnsteve
03-14-2004, 20:54
This has all the hallmarks of an urban legend. Now they're armed, hallucinatin', and homicidal!! :eek:

i agree...

Tha Wookie
03-14-2004, 23:22
They'll probably won't make it to Maine. Sounds like typical weekender beer-binge types to me. I go up there all the time and have never seen meth. There is a lot of it in North Georgia, I understand. It's a shame. "Big brother" doesn't belong on the trail, but I would definitely say something myself to people disgracing the trail like that. Last thing we need is a "crime" patrol on the trail.

Chappy
03-15-2004, 06:57
yea I've been to the paddlers pub...

I guess my point is that unless this group of allegedly meth-head hikers are actively attacking other hikers or becoming aggressive toward others ..then that is info that is important. heck, the military has given soldiers/pilot amphetamines before, now I don't think it is a good idea and I wouldn't do them myself except under a doctor's supervision...but as long as they are not hurting others ...then it is thier body they are doing it to.

Hey Smoky,
Site your example of the military giving soldiers amphetamines.

Dances with Mice
03-15-2004, 07:59
Hey Smoky,

Smoky's correct.

"Amphetamines, a prescription drug, are known on the street as uppers or speed. Yet, a 20/20 investigation has found, the amphetamines, the speed pills, are now standard issue to U.S. Air Force combat pilots, to help them stay awake on long combat sorties."

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/DailyNews/2020_pilotpills021220.html

Jaybird
03-15-2004, 08:01
Meth is a major problem in and around Damascus. Last Wednesday, Federal, State, County and local cops raided a house 4 doors down from me. The idiots were "cooking" as the cops busted in. I hate dopers.

like LONE WOLF said...lots of "cooking" going on in Tennessee too! I work in the media & see news stories about folks busted everyday for "manufacturing" (or "cooking") methamphetamine or "Meth".

its a plague in our country...a cheap "high" & cheap to make with all the components available @ your local Wal-mart or any other store.

as for meth use on the trail.....no hassles, no concerns!
if they don't bother me (just like pot smokers & drinkers) i don't bother them.

Live & Let Live...

and I 2nd the motion of no trail cops

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2004, 09:27
Hey Smoky,

even in world war II , korea, and vietnam,

and today they are legally given to little children for ADHD.

http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/amp01.htm

it's common knowledge.

Chappy
03-15-2004, 18:49
Smoky's correct.

"Amphetamines, a prescription drug, are known on the street as uppers or speed. Yet, a 20/20 investigation has found, the amphetamines, the speed pills, are now standard issue to U.S. Air Force combat pilots, to help them stay awake on long combat sorties."

Smoky is not correct, nor are you. I asked for resource to SOLDIERS being given amphetamines. You sited the well know example of pilots on long flight missions. Soldiers and pilots are not the same. So, please site the reference to soldiers being given amphetamines.

Chappy
03-15-2004, 18:54
even in world war II , korea, and vietnam,

and today they are legally given to little children for ADHD.

it's common knowledge.

You still did not answer the question. Site an example of amphetamines being given to soldiers. It is not common knowledge, except in the well known and widely reported instances of pilots being given drugs to assist them on long missions. Please don't throw around loose accusations of a serious nature unless you can back up the accusation. If you can site me the reference of soldiers being given amphetamines I will gladly accept your response, but until you can site the reference you're guilty of spreading rumors.

Lilred
03-15-2004, 19:01
You still did not answer the question. Site an example of amphetamines being given to soldiers. It is not common knowledge, except in the well known and widely reported instances of pilots being given drugs to assist them on long missions. Please don't throw around loose accusations of a serious nature unless you can back up the accusation. If you can site me the reference of soldiers being given amphetamines I will gladly accept your response, but until you can site the reference you're guilty of spreading rumors.

And just how many hairs would you like to split?? I would categorize anyone working in the armed forces as soldiers...... whether in planes, on ships, or on land.

Dances with Mice
03-15-2004, 19:07
Smoky is not correct, nor are you. I asked for resource to SOLDIERS being given amphetamines. You sited the well know example of pilots on long flight missions. Soldiers and pilots are not the same. So, please site the reference to soldiers being given amphetamines.

Google "army amphetamine" and click on the first link.

"Included in U.S. Army survival kits, amphetamines were widely distributed by all armies to their soldiers as a remedy for fatigue. "

okpik
03-15-2004, 20:48
Smoky's correct.

This is not anphetamines, Meth is a synthetic, different, homemade drug with very different, dangerous side effects. I am aware of speed and its use in the military and it was mostly stopped a very long time ago circa korean war. I worked for the USN Bureau of Medicine & Surgery for a long time in the 70's.
The bad effects out way any true benefit. That report goes on to say that Speed is a schedule 2 controlled narcotic like cocaine which would make one believe it is just a street drug. Coke and speed are among a group,
Schedule II High rate of addiction, anphetamines, cocaine, codeine, morphine, & demerol. All have limited use in controlled medical environments.
All also quite addictive and abused. Most of the High brass goes on to say in that report that this practice is unacceptable. Having also served as a combat related medical person, I was asked to issue these and told my troops that if it did not get issued to me, I was not giving them out.
Most countries outside the US, you can buy this and other scheduled narcotics over the counter. Some MD's and Corpsman did and used it in the bush. Quoating 20/20 or any other BS TV show is just that, BS
As far urban legend, the facts about the outcome of continued use is documented and usually the type of critters using this **** are not social boy scouts so violence, weapons and paranoia all go hand in hand. whether these critters are actually on our trail or not is anyones guess.

c.coyle
03-15-2004, 21:08
... As far urban legend, the facts about the outcome of continued use is documented and usually the type of critters using this **** are not social boy scouts so violence, weapons and paranoia all go hand in hand. whether these critters are actually on our trail or not is anyones guess.

Hey, the stuff's bad, but let's not get hysterical. Amped up, homicidal, paranoid, weapon brandishing hikers? Urban legend. We should all calm down until there's something remotely close to a verified sighting of crankers on the trail

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2004, 21:13
But the Defense Department, which distributed millions of amphetamine tablets to troops during World War II, Vietnam and the Gulf War, soldiers on, insisting that they are not only harmless but beneficial.

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,57434,00.html

another link...

During World War II, amphetamines were widely used to keep the fighting men going (during the Viet Nam war, American soldiers used more amphetamines than the rest of the world did during WWII).

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2004, 21:24
okpik are you saying that meth is not an amphetamine??

listen I don't think it is a great idea for anyone to use an amphetamine without medical supervision..

look we don't even have a confirmed report ..we certainly don't have any confirmed reports of these alledged "meth-heads" causing any altercations with other hikers..if they do I would like to hear about it and the location.

we certainly don't know what kind of substances this alledged group has...for all we know the have pharmaceutical dexeidrine...if they have anything.

and YES the US military has used amphetamines...the info with the pilots is just one and the latest public example.

so what is your opinion about folks who use steriods and testosterones on the trail?

azchipka
03-15-2004, 21:36
First off as any common sense would tell you what is being given out in the armed forces is not the same as the drug you pick up on the street.

Second there is no information leading anyone to think that the group is armed that is a rumor that was added once this information made its way to the public. The group (yes group as in more then 1) is suspected to have left springer mountain around the beginning of march between the 1st - 3rd.

USFS, ATC, NPS, and Local Law Enforcement has been informed and are working to resolve the problem as multiple complaints have been made. As a note none of the complaints have been of a violant nature. If you come in contact with the group it is suggested that you do not confront them but instead remember as much information about the group and location as possible and report it as soon as you can.If you have any information please contact either the ATC main office, NPS, or your nearest USFS ranger station. You do not need to provide a name if you do not wish.

Rangers where already going to be doing trail patrol on the AT this year and is not a result of this incident.

The statements made in this post are not being made on behalf of the NPS, ATC, or USFS. They are made by a fellow white blaze member attempting to provide you with more up to date and factual information.

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2004, 21:46
Hey, the stuff's bad, but let's not get hysterical. Amped up, homicidal, paranoid, weapon brandishing hikers? Urban legend. We should all calm down until there's something remotely close to a verified sighting of crankers on the trail

I agree....

Dudeboard
03-15-2004, 23:02
USFS, ATC, NPS, and Local Law Enforcement has been informed and are working to resolve the problem as multiple complaints have been made.
Oh, great. Now we have law enforcement officially hunting for witches on the A.T. I guess it's real easy to email a "complaint" based on a wild internet rumor these days.

For the rest of you. Time to break out the butt plugs.

Dances with Mice
03-15-2004, 23:05
I feel like such a hypocrite - I unsubscribed from AT-L because it was overrun with hiking unrelated, way off-topic, meaningless banter. This will be my last post on this subject. I see below that Digital Ranger has added some great information, I trust his sources on this topic, and I really should just let him have the last word. But I was called out, so...

okpik wrote: This is not anphetamines, Meth is a synthetic, different, homemade drug with very different, dangerous side effects. I am aware of speed and its use in the military and it was mostly stopped a very long time ago circa korean war.

Nobody has argued differently. The (side-)topic I responded to was the use of amphetamine by soldiers, especially their officially sanctioned use. But the approved use of amphetamines continued long after Korea, see below.

<unverifiable personal qualifications, ancedotes & drug lessons snipped>

Quoating 20/20 or any other BS TV show is just that, BS

Then allow me to quote the Air Force: http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/apj/spr97/cornum.html

"The policies concerning stimulants ultimately evolved into Air Force Regulation (AFR) 161--33/TAC Supplement 1. TAC sanctioned the use of amphetamine because single--seat pilots are particularly susceptible to the effects of boredom and fatigue during deployments overseas and during extended combat air patrols."

and

"Aeromedical after--action reports of Operations Desert Shield/ Desert Storm, however, attempted to quantify amphetamine use. Data from anonymous questionnaires found that, of the pilots who responded, 65 percent of them used amphetamine during the deployment to theater, and 57 percent used it at least once during the air war."

Chappy argued that pilots are not soldiers, as if that is an important point. Although some Navy & AF pilots may believe they are God, all are under the jurisdiction of the UCMJ. What Chappy overlooked is that not all pilots are in the Air Force, Navy, or Marines. Trivia time: Which service has more pilots - the Air Force or the Army? Think about it before you answer.

But 19-Bulletstoppers (AKA 19-Bravos, or "infantrymen" for civilians) haven't always been excluded from supply and distribution channels. According to a Penn State research paper on drug abuse: http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/j/p/jpj1/pacific.htm

"By far the biggest “speed-pusher” in history was the armed services, which from the second world war through Vietnam distributed amphetamines lavishly to service people undertaking tasks requiring alertness and wakefulness: we are talking in terms of multi-billion pill quantities."

I'll assume, though others may argue, that pilots were not taking all of them.

My personal qualifications to discuss drug abuse in the Army are verifiable in three easy steps. Here's how:
1. Check my profile to find my real name.
2. Compare it here and note the MOS: http://www.military.com/Locator/DodDetail/1,13996,7153769,00.html
(Free registration may be required for access, I'm not sure.)
3. Go here to see the description of that MOS.
http://www.goarmy.com/jobs/mos/mos95D.asp

Yeah, I was a narc. But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

azchipka
03-16-2004, 02:35
Oh, great. Now we have law enforcement officially hunting for witches on the A.T. I guess it's real easy to email a "complaint" based on a wild internet rumor these days.

For the rest of you. Time to break out the butt plugs.

Dudeboard,

All i can say to that is to my knowledge no additional LE personal have been put on the AT. The only LE planned for the trail at this times are ones that where already planned for the AT this year. The only change at this point is that those people already patroling and patroling in the future, on AT have been put on alert of the incident.

There is no reason what so every for anyone to to think this will effect your trip on the AT. The last thing the NPS and USFS wants is to effect the postive experiance of the trail or others on the trail this year.

Dudeboard
03-16-2004, 03:15
The only change at this point is that those people already patroling and patroling in the future, on AT have been put on alert of the incident.
What incident? I've read through this thread and see nothing to indicate that these Bad Boys exist anywhere except in someone's imagination.

The only LE planned for the trail at this times are ones that where already planned for the AT this year. There is no reason what so ever for anyone to to think this will effect your trip on the AT.
Oh? What if I light up a joint on the trail. Will one of these undercover agents feel compelled to bust me because he's received a "drug alert"? Where ordinarily, he might look the other way on a potsmoker?

azchipka
03-16-2004, 03:40
What incident? I've read through this thread and see nothing to indicate that these Bad Boys exist anywhere except in someone's imagination.

Oh? What if I light up a joint on the trail. Will one of these undercover agents feel compelled to bust me because he's received a "drug alert"? Where ordinarily, he might look the other way on a potsmoker?

Dudeboard,

This thread is not a posting of on going investigations, and does not contain any real information about the group or any incidents related to the group. It would also not be professional or legal for me to supply information about other individuals. I am sure if the USFS and NPS feel that there is a reason for you and others to worry information will be supplied to all it concerns.

Im am not sure what leads you to believe there are undercover law enforcement officers on the trail. No one is hiding what they are on the trail. As far as lighting up a joint in front of an officer i can't comment on what someone other then myself would do.

okpik
03-16-2004, 07:48

oruoja
03-16-2004, 10:01
Wow, this is on the way to becoming one of top selling threads. I find it amusing that law enforcement can allegedly field troops to hunt for alleged drug users, or so the perception goes, but the many fixed location trailheads where smash and grabs and vehicle arsons occur on a regular basis don't get the needed attention. On the subject of drugs, wonder what kind of tendancies could arise from abuse of prescription drug samples like Levitra, Cialis, and Viagra. Imagine mixing all three in someones gorp. In all seriousness, I really hope that a potential group of hazardous folks are not moving up the trail which could create concern for family members of hikers in the field. Also realize that when the necessity exists, the cops can come through like last year when the cop killer suspect from Vermont was nabbed on the AT in Pa I believe. Be alert and be safe.

Reverie
03-16-2004, 10:01
Smoky's correct.

Adding my 2c worth. When the military issues amphetamines to pilots it is only when aircraft are being flow over large bodies of water where they can't land and only when it is an aircraft that can only hold one or two pilots, such as F-16s, A-10s, F-15s and the like. It is a VERY controlled environment. Meth is an inconsistent and ABUSED drug that when used long-term causes serious shifts in temperment, rationality and aggression. Meth is a very bad drug. My advice to anyone is to stay away from anyone abusing meth. Personally, I don't care if someone wants to smoke a little weed as long as they are discrete (ie, not in the shelters) and don't eat all my food.

oruoja
03-16-2004, 10:08
Almost forgot, there is a NOBO on Trail Journals, Officer Taco, in the field. He is according to his bio an aspiring law enforcement candidate. Can't think of a better field practicum for him to get a little OJT. Just a little ribbing Taco. I did over 20 and I am glad it's a done deal. Time to enjoy life. Don't burn youself out and be safe, both on the trail and in your career.

Blue Jay
03-16-2004, 10:10
I heard a cop killing bear on Viagra is now raging across Virginia. Everybody run, AHHHHHHH.

torch
03-16-2004, 10:35
A bear on viagra...I'd be worried about more than that animal's killing spree. Don't drop the shelter soap!

Blue Jay
03-16-2004, 11:07
Hey, it's hard coming up with new things to be afraid of, but we Americans are an ingenuious lot. Things that are truly dangerous like cars or offering our sons for fictional weapons of mass distruction, we could care less about. Fictional drug marauders on the AT what a sad joke and an insult to hikers who are actually out there.

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 11:36
Adding my 2c worth. When the military issues amphetamines to pilots it is only when aircraft are being flow over large bodies of water where they can't land and only when it is an aircraft that can only hold one or two pilots, such as F-16s, A-10s, F-15s and the like. It is a VERY controlled environment. Meth is an inconsistent and ABUSED drug that when used long-term causes serious shifts in temperment, rationality and aggression. Meth is a very bad drug. My advice to anyone is to stay away from anyone abusing meth. Personally, I don't care if someone wants to smoke a little weed as long as they are discrete (ie, not in the shelters) and don't eat all my food.

Only when aircraft are over large bodies of water???....thanks for playing but try again.

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 11:39
Wow, this is on the way to becoming one of top selling threads. I find it amusing that law enforcement can allegedly field troops to hunt for alleged drug users, or so the perception goes, but the many fixed location trailheads where smash and grabs and vehicle arsons occur on a regular basis don't get the needed attention. On the subject of drugs, wonder what kind of tendancies could arise from abuse of prescription drug samples like Levitra, Cialis, and Viagra. Imagine mixing all three in someones gorp. In all seriousness, I really hope that a potential group of hazardous folks are not moving up the trail which could create concern for family members of hikers in the field. Also realize that when the necessity exists, the cops can come through like last year when the cop killer suspect from Vermont was nabbed on the AT in Pa I believe. Be alert and be safe.

I agree...parking at a lot of trailheads is a "roll of the dice" as to whether your car will be there or damaged after your hike...but like the NPS told me after a break-in on my truck "not much we can do..it happens all the time"

Kozmic Zian
03-16-2004, 14:37
:-? ..........

Yea......The Drug Thing. Again, friends, I say, if a man wants to do a toot or snort or blow or chug or hootch or whatever, just be a man about it and don't put it all over The Trail. Good gosh mannnn, what is the problem? Seems like everbody wants to let the world know they get high. Who gives a s***? Not me! Keep it to yourself and enjoy your hike. It's so childish the other way....isn't it? Go figure, some folks never grow up.......KZ@

oruoja
03-16-2004, 15:15
I just can't resist and promise (for at least 24 hours) that I won't post off topic, but imagine suffering the unintended libido drug consequence warned about, you know, if the effect lasts longer than four hours "this is a serious medical condition requiring immediate medical attention". Now imagine making it to a road and trying to get to town to the clinic. Another defination to be added under "a hard hitch". Man, I can't wait for winter to be done with up here in AK, it really does make you come up with some wierd thoughts.

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 15:39
Yea......The Drug Thing. Again, friends, I say, if a man wants to do a toot or snort or blow or chug or hootch or whatever, just be a man about it and don't put it all over The Trail. Good gosh mannnn, what is the problem? Seems like everbody wants to let the world know they get high. Who gives a s***? Not me! Keep it to yourself and enjoy your hike. It's so childish the other way....isn't it? Go figure, some folks never grow up.......KZ@

read the thread and discover who gives a s***!

and to what measures they would like to take to "get" some non-violent people.

Chef2000
03-16-2004, 15:55
Alexander the great used to give his soldiers an opium/wine mix before battle, great for pillaging and slaughtering:p

Last year there was a similar group, no meth as far as I know. But they ended up drinking and yellow blazing up the trail. Last I heard one of them was busted in VA for assault. Just be careful out there and try to avoid these types.

If your a casual pot smoker, keep it private and away from the shelters and those who you think might not be hip. It would be a bad thing if you got caught, because they were looking for meth heads.

oyvay
03-16-2004, 16:05

The cops nabbing a suspect on the AT in PA is true. Gizmo was ridgerunning the stretch between DWG and somewhere S. of Palmerton. He was walking along and a guy dressed in a pizza delivery outfit was walking the other way, a few seconds later cops came along with a suspect handcuffed. The suspect was pulled over on a routine stop, before the cop approached the vehicle it took off, the cop radioed ahead and another cop was laying down a spike strip. The suspect tried to run through it and hit the cop. The cop held on for a bit in the hospital, but then died leaving a wife and children. The suspect got a ride from a friend to DWG and started walking the trail south. The friend called the police and told them where the suspect was. Gizmo witnessed the end of it, the cops used the pizza delivery disguise to arrest him.
A tragic tale, but hopefully it brings the thread back to the AT.

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 16:11
note to self..beware of pizza delivery folks on trail.

Chappy
03-16-2004, 18:28
And just how many hairs would you like to split?? I would categorize anyone working in the armed forces as soldiers...... whether in planes, on ships, or on land.

Lilredmg: Call someone in the navy, air force or marines a soldier and see what happens.

Smoky: Thanks for the education. :sun

All: I'm out of this thread...you guys are way too smart for me.

Bankrobber
03-16-2004, 20:59
The cops nabbing a suspect on the AT in PA is true. Gizmo was ridgerunning the stretch between DWG and somewhere S. of Palmerton. He was walking along and a guy dressed in a pizza delivery outfit was walking the other way, a few seconds later cops came along with a suspect handcuffed. The suspect was pulled over on a routine stop, before the cop approached the vehicle it took off, the cop radioed ahead and another cop was laying down a spike strip. The suspect tried to run through it and hit the cop. The cop held on for a bit in the hospital, but then died leaving a wife and children. The suspect got a ride from a friend to DWG and started walking the trail south. The friend called the police and told them where the suspect was. Gizmo witnessed the end of it, the cops used the pizza delivery disguise to arrest him.
A tragic tale, but hopefully it brings the thread back to the AT.

Wow, Gizmo's section of the AT in Pennsylvania would be the worst place to run from the cops. It is the nastiest rock patch on the whole trail.

Peaks
03-16-2004, 21:09
note to self..beware of pizza delivery folks on trail.

The pizza delivery man is very popular at the Partnership Shelter and 501 shelter. I'm not going to run away from him there

Lone Wolf
03-16-2004, 22:56
Chappy is right. We Marines are Marines. Never a soldier. Soldiers are "pussing" out in Iraq.

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 23:48
The pizza delivery man is very popular at the Partnership Shelter and 501 shelter. I'm not going to run away from him there

I don't eat pizza anyway..

so like THE WEASEL says "IT DON"T MATTER"

BiteBlaze
03-17-2004, 01:25
Bad boys
talking about the sad boys
meth boys
talking about the bad boys, yeah

See them out on the trail all day, walkin'
passin up all kinds of strangers
if the price is right, you can score
if you're food bag's nice
but you want a good time
you ask yourse-eeeelf, who they aaaare?
like everybody else, they come from near and far

Bad boys, bad boys,
hey hey, beep beep
talking about the bad bad boys, yeah

Friday night and the shelter's hot
sun's gone down, they still want to trot
fire's high and they look hot
armed and dangerous, you know they're not

now don't you ask yourse-eeelf, who they aaaaare?
like everybody else, they wanna be hikaaaaar

Bad boys, bad boys,
hey hey, beep beep
bad boys

Hey, hey hiker
do you got a dime?

Toot toot
hey beep

(apologies to Donna Summer)

screwysquirrel
03-18-2004, 03:02
I was out there in that area from March 11 to the 16th and I didn't see anybody fitting that description. We went up Blood Mt. and then to Low Gap shelter and I didn't see any Felons fitting that description. Then again I wasn't looking. As for Gyrenes, when they weren't wussing out, we Squids always used to kick their rears when I was in the greatest branch of the service.

Krewzer
03-20-2004, 10:25
Heck, half my family believe I must be on something just because I like sleeping on the ground and wandering around the mountains by myself.

"...I tell y'all, it just ain't natural. Must be drugs."

Krewzer

"Leave the boy alone, with any luck, he'll get over it."

Kozmic Zian
03-23-2004, 13:04
read the thread and discover who gives a s***!

and to what measures they would like to take to "get" some non-violent people.Yea......With you on that S' Steve. Seems like to me, IMHO, that the best 'high' should be just being up there. That's the biggest 'rush' of all......the air, water, walking(and the inherent body high)....that's why we hike! Not to spread fowl drugs, and the attached problems with all that. But, unlike some other KIA's (know it alls) from another Trail net, who wants to turn everybody in to the cops, and all that for having a toot, blow, snort, chug, mucnch, or whatever, now and again, I say, just keep it to yourself, if you have to do that stuff....then be a man about it.....not some, 'hey, look at me, I'm high', kindof kid.....Nuff' said. KZ@

steve hiker
03-23-2004, 13:23
Hey KZ I thought you were on the trail by now, what happened?

Oh, and I have an update. That gang of crackheads just left Damascus and are expected in Duncannon tomorrow at 3:20. They're flying out.:rolleyes:

Furlough
03-23-2004, 15:42
Dances with Mice - One note of clarification. Infantrymen are not MOS 19B. Infantry MOS is 11B. The 19 series MOS's are 19D and 19K. (Cav Scouts and Armor Crew Member)

Harry

ga>me>ak
03-23-2004, 16:18
I heard a cop killing bear on Viagra is now raging across Virginia. Everybody run, AHHHHHHH.

BlueJay..see how quickly stories get distorted from the truth!
See there were some moonshiners that were cooking up some bootleg Viagra. Hearing about the officers looking for the Meth heads...they got scared and dumped a couple thousand gallons of Pure Viagra in the creeks. Seems that quite a few bears and bucks drank from the creek and were lookin to relieve themselves. That's when one of the cops saw the bear sneaking up on him with a huge **rd on. The cop took off running and said he knew he would die if he stopped and the bear caught him.
A couple of unlucky hikers were cornerd by some horned up bucks. Seems the bucks used their antlers to pin them down and take advantage of them. They were yelling something about revenge to the thru-hikers the whole time. Neither hiker was seriously hurt. One was traumatized but ok. Last we heard about the other, he was waiting on a marraige liscense(special liscence for man/animal union).He was hoping to have a SMNP Ranger perform the ceremony at Fontana.
Of course, there were many reports of small furry animal orgies going on up and down the trail. Not life threatening, but fun to watch. Talk about the fur flying!!!
I think this will be on CNN News under unusual animal and people interactions. See how quickly the facts get distorted. :-? ;)
Damn...I just spilled my beer

Dances with Mice
03-23-2004, 16:45
Dances with Mice - One note of clarification. Infantrymen are not MOS 19B. Infantry MOS is 11B. The 19 series MOS's are 19D and 19K. (Cav Scouts and Armor Crew Member)

Harry

I saw that right after I hit "send". Figured someone would have caught it long before now, tho. My original primary was 12B, aka ditch digger.

To give the dead horse a few more kicks, it's really good to hear that there's been no problems on the Trail and the original report may have been highly exaggerated.

Rain Man
03-23-2004, 17:04
To give the dead horse a few more kicks, it's really good to hear that there's been no problems on the Trail and the original report may have been highly exaggerated.

Kicking Dead Horse Mode ON

Highly exaggerated? All it said was "there has been a report ... would the Maintainers please check registers for complaints."

That's hardly an exaggeration, but maybe you meant that that bland comment was exaggerated by other posts. THAT's certainly true. Some folks lit a fire and others were happy to throw on gasoline, but the original report was neither.

As my daughter is on the trail, I was very happy for the original post to be posted.

Rain Man

Dances with Mice
03-23-2004, 18:53
Kicking Dead Horse Mode ON

.... but maybe you meant that that bland comment was exaggerated by other posts. ...

. Bingo.