PDA

View Full Version : Aquamira water filter

Sidewinder
09-15-2008, 18:02
I saw this online, has anyone used it and what do you think about it if you have?

http://aquamira.com/consumer/frontier-pro-filter-system

Thinker
09-15-2008, 18:24
Great for on the go use. I hiked some this year on my thru-hike with a gentleman that used one. His only complaints were that they lasted only 200L and that they were hard to find along the trail. He said almost none of the outfitters carried it as of this past summer. Other than these two things, he loved it! Hope this helps some.

FamilyGuy
09-15-2008, 19:14
My only concern would be that it only filters down to 3 microns. For comparison, an MSR Miniworks filters down to 0.2 microns. I am not sure that I would rely on this as a filter....

Deadeye
09-15-2008, 19:14
I've got one, and I'm very satisfied. For about $15, you can treat 50 gallons. At a gallon a day, that takes care of a summer's worth of weekend trips. If I were thinking of using it for a thru hike, I think I'd buy a half-dozen in advance, and replace it monthly.

take-a-knee
09-15-2008, 21:30
I think this filter is meant to augment Aqua Mira or Katadyn tabs. Both readily kill viruses and most bacteria, it is the protozoans they have trouble with, this filter would handle them nicely. It sure is light, and screws right to a Platypus for drip filtering.

Roots
09-16-2008, 11:00
My only concern would be that it only filters down to 3 microns. For comparison, an MSR Miniworks filters down to 0.2 microns. I am not sure that I would rely on this as a filter....

That was the concern of the person I asked at my local outfitter. He described it as a 'filter and go' but not one to use on long trips. It would be interesting to test. :)

Sidewinder
09-16-2008, 11:07
That was the concern of the person I asked at my local outfitter. He described it as a 'filter and go' but not one to use on long trips. It would be interesting to test. :)

hi Roots, I've heard so much about you, mostly a lot of dirt - is the filter as small and light as said on the AM site. And is it something you would consider using as a back up in case your main filer failed. By the way what kind of filter do you use and has is it working for you?

Roots
09-16-2008, 11:24
hi Roots, I've heard so much about you, mostly a lot of dirt - is the filter as small and light as said on the AM site. And is it something you would consider using as a back up in case your main filer failed. By the way what kind of filter do you use and has is it working for you?

A lot of good dirt I hope!;)

It is very lightweight and yes, I would use it as a backup to my SteriPen(I LOVE crunchies and floaties). :D