PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Hiking GA to Smokies

wnderer
09-15-2008, 21:08
What are the trail conditions like, from Springer through the Smokies, the last two weeks of December? Is it possible to Blue Blaze some of the higher elevations in conditions demand it?

Thanks

JumpInTheLake
09-15-2008, 21:18
I'll hazard to say that it could be great weather or terrible weather. The end of December can be hard to predict. Anything goes.

Blissful
09-15-2008, 21:20
Be ready for cold and snow just in case. But I have seen it 55 here in VA on Christmas day. Prepare for anything on the AT!

Marta
09-15-2008, 21:20
Could be cold. Could be balmy (60s during the day). It's quite possible to hike there then. There will be a fair number of other holiday hikers out then.

take-a-knee
09-15-2008, 21:23
It won't be Alaska cold. It may be quite pleasant as has been mentioned. You'll likely have several days of high 30's and a blowing, hard rain, the kind that kills the unprepared.

OldStormcrow
09-16-2008, 08:43
Be prepared for possible real winter weather in the Smokies. They are quite unpredictable. I have been there in January when it was sunny and in the 70's, and I have been there in two feet of snow the second week in April. The low at night can get down in the -teens and I've started hikes from Newfound Gap when it was 0 degrees at lunchtime with a 30 mph wind.

wnderer
09-16-2008, 20:25
Thanks all. Should I bring any special gear? I have a 3 season bag. Do I need an extra liner or blanket?

Thanks

HikerRanky
09-16-2008, 20:52
Thanks all. Should I bring any special gear? I have a 3 season bag. Do I need an extra liner or blanket?

Thanks

With a 3 season bag, I would bring a liner for sure..... Average temp in December on Clingman's Dome (6645') is 37 for the high, 21 for the low... Average snowfall is 8"...

If I was going to blue blaze around it, I would take the BMT myself....

Randy

Dyadya Tim
09-16-2008, 20:59
Unfortunately from Franklin to SMNP there are no little to no side trails other then the Bartram Trail, which is not actually at a lower elevation, just a different trail. However the SMNP has about 900 miles of trails throughout the park. Most of them venture into lower elevations that make hiking those trails a little safer during that time of year. The Benton MacKaye Trail follows the southern border of the park at lower elevations, and closer to civilization (just in case.) You may want to look into having a 0 degree bag, mostly what we use around here during the winter months. Also remember to layer as who knows what the weather will bring.

Marta
09-16-2008, 21:15

Thanks

By looking at the long-term weather forecast in the weeks leading up to your hike, you should be able to get a good idea of what you'll be facing. The three major possibilities are:

1) Warm and dry, with near-freezing nights
2) Cold and windy, with very cold nights
3) Just above freezing and raining

It is very likely to get down around 20 at the higher elevations at night. To enhance your warmth you can use liner or blanket, or wear extra clothing at night. It's important to have things to keep your head and feet warm, during the night was well as during the day.

As far as special gear...that time of year you'll want good light sources for the long, dark nights. And plenty of fuel for making hot food and drinks.

wnderer
09-16-2008, 21:39
Thanks again

Randy
I'm considering the BMT, though I don't know much about it. I'll have to get the databook. But I think there are only two shelters and shelters are a welcome sight in bad weather.

Good point Marta
Light sources and Hot food. Can't plan to survive on candy bars.

Thanks
Paul