PDA

View Full Version : Size of Pack

Spider
09-15-2008, 22:40
Looking to buy a new pack. I'll be heading out on a 9 day next summer, so I need a pack for all that food + gear. How many c.i. should I be looking for? Also, any suggestions for a specific brand/model would be nice too. THANKS!

Wolf - 23000
09-15-2008, 23:02
Ok let me think about this. You are hiking for 9 days – are you planning on carrying all 9 days - about 18 pounds just in food, all at once or are you planning on resupplying someplace and carry 4-5 days of food instead? Where are you planning on doing this summer hike on the AT or perhaps out west in the some place in the Rockies Mountains? Are you planning on hiking with someone? Going base on your age, I would guest the answer would be yes. All these questions makes a big different on what gear you would need and what gear you should leave behind.

If I was to go out hiking on the AT for 9 days, I would get anything larger than 2,200 cu/in. That is plenty of room to do just about anything. REI makes several inexpensive light-weight packs that I think would be perfect.

Hopes this helps.

Wolf

Panzer1
09-15-2008, 23:02
Get a Granite Gear "Vapor Trail", 3600 cubic inches, list price $170, weight of pack 2 pounds 5 ounces.

http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vaportrail.html

Panzer

Hooch
09-16-2008, 05:39
The pack you need is the one that holds all your gear reasonably comfortably, fits you well and meets your budget requirements, if you have any. So many people get caught up in the whole "what brand/model pack is best" thing that they don't see the forest for the trees. Trust me, I know, I used to play that game too. It's not the pack's name that's important, but how well it works for you, regardless of who makes it.

That said, before you go buy a pack, make sure you get all your gear first. After you have all your gear, take it with you to a reputable outfitter who knows how to fit packs and can help in your search. Avoid warehouse-style sporting goods places such as Dick's, Sports Authority, etc. like the plague. They generally have no clue what they're doing when it comes to fitting packs correctly or recommending the right one for your needs. Tell them what you need and what you need it for. Put your gear in it and walk around the store or, even better, outside the store. Listen to the advice and suggestions of folks who work in a good, reputable outfitter. These people usually have a fair amount of backcountry experience and love being outside. More importantly, they should want you to enjoy being outside, too. And you can't enjoy being out there with the wrong pack. That means they're not automatically going to try to sell you the biggest and most expensive packs there just to make a couple extra dimes for the store and there in doing, sacrificing your comfort and happiness. They'd also risk losing your repeat business, which should be important to them as well. Once you get a feel for which pack is right for you, buy it, take it home, and that's the right pack. Enjoy!

papa john
09-16-2008, 06:32
What Hooch said.

mweinstone
09-16-2008, 06:47
the ppa is what you want. pack purchasing algurithim. rythem. whatever. rhy,,,fuc*! my smelling spuckes.

ahem! i will now speak to the lower folk. folk who posses not the skill to buy. i, the great matthewski!

ahhhem!

weight of pack, cost, size.size matters least because you can adjust it unlike cost or weight. they are static and fixed. you allways need the lightest pack per buck. so if packs that weigh the right amount are to big or too small, its not as important as being able to buy the lightest for the bucks you have. weight is king. money is queen. the pawn is the size and gets no regaurd. trust me. its what you must do.
if you doubt the backwards bizzareo world of matthewski, you just havent eaten steak under a kite by a bigtop!
simple answer. 55 ltrs

Summit
09-16-2008, 07:24
Something not mentioned in the excellent comments so far is how do you organize? The Vapor Trail is a popular, light weight pack, but it is one big single compartment. I prefer a pack that has both a bottom (sleeping bag) compartment, and a detachable 'top lid' such as REI's most popular pack:

http://www.rei.com/product/757777

I'm on my second Gregory pack and have been extremely pleased with their comfort and durability. The top lid is very convenient to carry:

Lunch
Water filter (Steripen)
Insect repellent, sun block, chap stick
Rain jacket / wind breaker
Cell phone
Etc.

And most top lids convert into a fanny pack to conveniently do a side trail with lunch, water, etc. Of course, more compartments, zippers, etc. is going to add a little more weight. Also load bearing capacity is important. The ultra-lite packs, like the Vapor Trail are not made to handle more than about 30 lbs. The above Gregory will handle 50 lbs. or more. If you'll ever carry more than 7 days worth of food, you'll likely exceed that 30 lbs. Just some things to consider.

Spider
09-16-2008, 08:19
Here's the plan, Wolf. My dad and sister and I are going to go one weekend and do about 25 miles of the south end of Shenandoah AT. Then the next week we will go 9 days and finish up the rest. I would be happy to resupply somewhere but I don't know if you can resupply in Shenandoah. Maybe someone can answer this? THANKS!

take-a-knee
09-16-2008, 09:10
Something not mentioned in the excellent comments so far is how do you organize? The Vapor Trail is a popular, light weight pack, but it is one big single compartment. I prefer a pack that has both a bottom (sleeping bag) compartment, and a detachable 'top lid' such as REI's most popular pack:

http://www.rei.com/product/757777

I'm on my second Gregory pack and have been extremely pleased with their comfort and durability. The top lid is very convenient to carry:

Lunch
Water filter (Steripen)
Insect repellent, sun block, chap stick
Rain jacket / wind breaker
Cell phone
Etc.

And most top lids convert into a fanny pack to conveniently do a side trail with lunch, water, etc. Of course, more compartments, zippers, etc. is going to add a little more weight. Also load bearing capacity is important. The ultra-lite packs, like the Vapor Trail are not made to handle more than about 30 lbs. The above Gregory will handle 50 lbs. or more. If you'll ever carry more than 7 days worth of food, you'll likely exceed that 30 lbs. Just some things to consider.

A sleeping bag compartment? So you can make sure your sleeping bag gets soaked? So you can add a four or five ounce needless zipper to your load, that will surely poke holes in any and all attempts to waterproof you sleeping bag with a trashbag?... Oh, I figured it out! So you can take your sleeping bag out several times during the day in case you might need it!

dessertrat
09-16-2008, 09:22
If you don't know what your gear is, you can't properly select a pack, unless you get one that is very large. Then you will either have "too much pack" for your load, or you will be carrying too much.

9 days is a long trip for someone who is new to backpacking, IMO. Trim what you are carrying, and the weight of what you are carrying, mercilessly. Post a gear list for us to savage! That is what we do best!

Wise Old Owl
09-16-2008, 09:24
What Hooch said...

Foyt20
09-16-2008, 09:39
Looking to buy a new pack. I'll be heading out on a 9 day next summer, so I need a pack for all that food + gear. How many c.i. should I be looking for? Also, any suggestions for a specific brand/model would be nice too. THANKS!

What is the type of trip that you are going on next summer, I think that that may be a vital piece of the puzzle.

TheChamp
09-16-2008, 17:20
Get a ULA Circuit. The front mesh pocket is awesome and swallows a lot of gear. The side mesh pockets are perfect for water bottles and the hip belt pockets are great for things like Aqua Mira, headlamp, snacks, compass, knife, camera, etc.

I've taken 8 days food in mine with no problems (other than it being heavy). Or check out the ULA Catalyst if you want a little more frame support and storage.

I think a pack in the 3600-4000 CI should be fine, just look for one that is lightweight (keep in mind a frame vs frameless pack) and has features that you will actually use.

bigcranky
09-16-2008, 17:41
If we're talking about the A.T. in Shenandoah National Park, you can resupply there, and you can eat many meals in the restaurants along the way. Seriously.

Also, if I read your post correctly, you will be out for 12 days, 3 for the bottom 25 miles, then 9 for the other 80 miles. Is that right? At your age, I'd expect you to fly through SNP more quickly than that. The trail is well graded, and fairly easy.

But you want a pack. OK. Almost any pack in the 4000-4500 cubic inch range from a reputable pack maker should be fine. Make sure it fits your body well. It's best if you can go down to the outfitter and try it on with weight, carry it around the store for an hour, that sort of thing.

Not knowing anything about you, your size, body shape, experience, etc., if I had to make a single recommendation it would be for the REI Cruise UL, a 60 liter lightweight pack. It's a decent size, only costs $130, and REI will take it back if it really doesn't work out.

Good luck.

Summit
09-16-2008, 18:17
A sleeping bag compartment? So you can make sure your sleeping bag gets soaked? So you can add a four or five ounce needless zipper to your load, that will surely poke holes in any and all attempts to waterproof you sleeping bag with a trashbag?... Oh, I figured it out! So you can take your sleeping bag out several times during the day in case you might need it!Never had that problem. I stuff my sleeping bag directly into the bottom compartment of my Gregory Whitney, which has a waterproof bottom, so no trash bag, hole poking, stuffing mess. When it rains I cover my pack with my Gregory custom pack cover and have never had anything in it get the least bit wet while hiking. I offset the zipper weight by not having to use a sleeping bag stuff sack! Oh, and you can just remove the divider between the big upper compartment and the lower one if you want, and you merely have another entry point into it, so you get the best of both worlds, so to speak. Next rant? :D :p

Hooch
09-16-2008, 22:22
Get a ULA Circuit. The front mesh pocket is awesome and swallows a lot of gear. The side mesh pockets are perfect for water bottles and the hip belt pockets are great for things like Aqua Mira, headlamp, snacks, compass, knife, camera, etc.

I've taken 8 days food in mine with no problems (other than it being heavy). Or check out the ULA Catalyst if you want a little more frame support and storage.

I think a pack in the 3600-4000 CI should be fine, just look for one that is lightweight (keep in mind a frame vs frameless pack) and has features that you will actually use.Although a good recommendation, it's premature at best. There isn't any way that you can know if his gear will fit the pack without seeing a gear list. Don't get me wrong, it's a great pack. However, there are too many variables involved with selecting a good pack for each individual's needs to say "Oooh, get this pack or that pack." Buying into that mentality is an almost sure recipe to wind up with sore shoulders, sore hips and/or a back that hurts so bad that you'll with someone would rip your spine out through your butthole and smack you with it.