PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Camp Shoes

Shmuel
09-16-2008, 02:22
Some interesting camp shoes options:

Earth Footwear, Kalso-Lite Lazer K
http://tjepster.com/earthlazerk.php

This is a full shoe that weighs in at about 8.2 ounces (Men's 8), about the same as Crocs, made from some recycled materials. Pack well, but are quite expensive.

Freedom Quarks
http://www.quarkgear.com/clogs.asp

Similar to Crocs or Waldies, but half the weight at 3.4 ounces. These have been mentioned on other posts before. You can find them online from time to time for about $20.

Summit
09-16-2008, 07:30
I prefer Speedo River shoes. My feet deserve better than plastic after 15 miles of trail encased in two pair of socks and muddy, wet, shoes. The Lazer K doesn't look too bad.

Homer&Marje
09-16-2008, 09:13
Marje got me these things called dogs.... pretty much a croc ripoff, she got them at cvs 90% off for only $1. Total weight for mens size ten... about 3 ounces. not each. total. They came in black too so I don't have to do river crossings with hot pink feet. Very durable foam construction

Blissful
09-16-2008, 14:03
Nothing beats my crocs I have to say, bought them back at Franklin last year on the trail and I am wearing them today!

Obiwan
09-16-2008, 15:16
I have a pair of brown crocs that I only use for camp shoes while backpacking

( My family kids me about them....I am the only one with a pair)

They are fairly comfortable, provide some insulation for chilly mornings and evenings

And they work pretty well for stream crossings

They will do until I find something better

StubbleJumper
09-16-2008, 15:43
I bought a pair of imitation Crocs for $5, and love them. They weigh next to nothing and they're completely waterproof. Since I use a Hennessey Hammock, they're ideal because you can easily kick them off before getting in the hammock and when leaving the hammock just shove your feet into them. Makes those 2am bathroom breaks a great deal simpler.....

Kerosene
09-16-2008, 15:48
They weigh next to nothing...I never trust any post that states this. Everything weighs something, and it's the sum of all of that "featherweight" stuff that results in a heavy pack. Instead of people throwing out this worthless statement (many others do this, not just you StubbleJumper), please go get a scale and tell me how much they weigh!

I am very interested in the previous posts stating sub-4 ounce weights for a pair of knock-off Crocs. That's a savings of 7 ounces off the originals I bought 4 years ago. There's not much gear left where I can save 3 ounces, let alone 7!

Lyle
09-16-2008, 15:49
I have a pair of genuine crocks and two pair of Dollar Store wanna-be. I prefer the Dollar Store version for camp shoes. They are lighter, MUCH cheaper ($6), and fit my feet better. Plus, the small nubs on the footbed are smaller, so more comfortable on bare, tender feet after hiking all day.

I wear one of these every day, been wearing the Crocks all day today. Very comfortable. I'm quite sure I could hike in them for a day or two with no real problems if necessary.

Lyle
09-16-2008, 15:55
many[/I] others do this, not just you StubbleJumper), please go get a scale and tell me how much they weigh!

Weights per pair:

Crocks, size 10: 13 oz, about $26
Dollar Store, size 9: 8.5 oz, $6

Mags
09-16-2008, 18:36
These weigh one oz, and cost almost nothing to make (assuming you have your original shoe inserts)

http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

Dirty Harry
09-16-2008, 18:42
I made those in 05. I just did a strap for the big toe, and the ankle. I like flip flops though, in case you do need to do a little walkin.

papa john
09-16-2008, 22:07
Those are a good idea, but try walkng downhill and then back uphill in flipflops. Might be just me but I had very hard time doing that.

Homer&Marje
09-16-2008, 22:10
I never trust any post that states this. Everything weighs something, and it's the sum of all of that "featherweight" stuff that results in a heavy pack. Instead of people throwing out this worthless statement (many others do this, not just you StubbleJumper), please go get a scale and tell me how much they weigh!

I am very interested in the previous posts stating sub-4 ounce weights for a pair of knock-off Crocs. That's a savings of 7 ounces off the originals I bought 4 years ago. There's not much gear left where I can save 3 ounces, let alone 7!

My "Dogs" (Croc knockoffs) came from cvs... no I don't have a scale and I'd love to prove it though, the pair men, size 10-11 weighs under 4 oz for the pair. almost definitely

coldspring
09-17-2008, 00:01
I've been using these, lately. http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901 They'll get you across a creek, and keep you from going barefooted. They're just a little over 2 oz. and pack really flat. I sure like my fake crocs though. But I have to carry them on the outside of the pack and they're nearly 9 oz.

Summit
09-17-2008, 07:11
I've been using these, lately. http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901 They'll get you across a creek, and keep you from going barefooted. They're just a little over 2 oz. and pack really flat. I sure like my fake crocs though. But I have to carry them on the outside of the pack and they're nearly 9 oz.Similar but definitely lighter than what I'm using:

http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3106761&jsessionid=v9nZLQkJ3hm2xq2Z8w2nHYChJ0P11gzYyhh1Smn JYkQyFqy4Vg3w!-131543551&cp=3124326.3128423.3132047.3132067

The plus of the Speedo, as you can see, is the substantial footbed and tread. They will definitely handle a lot of walking around, and over rocks. The negative side is they are a little heavy, in the 12 oz. range depending on size.

Obiwan
09-17-2008, 08:59
My pair of crocs weigh 12.44 oz

Hard to believe (without an accurate weight) that any pair this size (12) would weigh 1/3 as much

I am open to something lighter....but it needs to be sufficent for stream crossings....and those recycled footbeds don't look like they can hang

Another nice thing about crocs is that even if left out in the rain, they are never really wet...just bang them together to get rid of the surface water

Obiwan
09-17-2008, 09:36
Freedom Quarks
http://www.quarkgear.com/clogs.asp

Similar to Crocs or Waldies, but half the weight at 3.4 ounces. These have been mentioned on other posts before. You can find them online from time to time for about $20.

From another thread

"However I should warn you that when I received my Freedoms (the lightest shoe they offer), they weighed 12.6 oz. This was a far cry from the 3.4 oz. advertised on the website. I called customer service and asked exactly which size weighs 3.4 oz., and the woman I spoke with said that it's based on the sample size of a W6 (an equivalent of a M4). I was anticipating a jump in weight because of the larger size, but this was ridiculous. I was attempting to replace a pair of waldies that weigh 11.7 oz"

rafe
09-17-2008, 09:42
Some interesting camp shoes options:

Earth Footwear, Kalso-Lite Lazer K
http://tjepster.com/earthlazerk.php

This is a full shoe that weighs in at about 8.2 ounces (Men's 8), about the same as Crocs, made from some recycled materials. Pack well, but are quite expensive.

Actually, it's twice the weight of Crocs. The quoted weight is per-shoe. Crocs (err... Waldies) come in at about 8 oz. for the pair.

But here's the thing -- if you hike in light shoes (eg., trail runners) you can probably live without footwear specifically for camp.

Homer&Marje
09-17-2008, 09:56
Actually, it's twice the weight of Crocs. The quoted weight is per-shoe. Crocs (err... Waldies) come in at about 8 oz. for the pair.

But here's the thing -- if you hike in light shoes (eg., trail runners) you can probably live without footwear specifically for camp.

I have to hike in heavy duty hiking boots because of terrible ankles... these knockoff crocs that I just got are so comfortable and light that this combo works for me... WAY lighter than the Tevas I used to carry. I have to weigh them but they are extremely light foam and very durable.

rafe
09-17-2008, 10:13
I have to hike in heavy duty hiking boots because of terrible ankles... these knockoff crocs that I just got are so comfortable and light that this combo works for me... WAY lighter than the Tevas I used to carry. I have to weigh them but they are extremely light foam and very durable.

I can believe there's a lot of variation in weight among the many Croc/Waldies knock-offs these days. The ones I own are "Waldies AT" and weigh almost exactly 8 oz for the pair. They correspond to a Mens size 8-9 or so. But last summer, halfway thru my hike, I ditched my Timberline boots and my Waldies at the same time... in favor of a pair of running shoes. No regrets! My feet were much happier.

Word of advice/warning: if you do use camp shoes, size them loose and large, as your feet will be swollen at the end of the day. Last thing you want is a tight-fitting camp shoe. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Homer&Marje
09-17-2008, 10:31
Word of advice/warning: if you do use camp shoes, size them loose and large, as your feet will be swollen at the end of the day. Last thing you want is a tight-fitting camp shoe. Kinda defeats the purpose.

What I like about these ones is that they are very loose fitting, yet stick to your feet well. and the strap on the back can simply slide up over the top to make them more traditional sandals... but the strap is good for rivers to keep them on your feet.

papa john
09-17-2008, 11:44
I just bought a pair of Croc knockoffs at Target. The price was like $6.88. They weigh 5.8 ounces each in size XXL (11-12). Not the lightest, but that's all I could find around here. I think they'll work. Strap them to the back of the pack and go.

Summit
09-17-2008, 14:55
But here's the thing -- if you hike in light shoes (eg., trail runners) you can probably live without footwear specifically for camp.True on a nice weather day, but when the trail runners are soaked and/or muddy, it's nice to slip into something dry and let the hiking ones dry somewhere other than on your feet. :)

Mags
09-17-2008, 15:05
I am open to something lighter....but it needs to be sufficent for stream crossings....and those recycled footbeds don't look like they can hang

Juts keep your trail runners on. Don't bother taking off your shoes for stream crossings. I find that taking shoes on and off for stream crossings is a PITA.

The few holdouts to taking off their shoes for stream crossing among long distance hikers quickly abandon that idea after crossing the High Sierra in June. :eek:

If you are looking for CAMP SHOES, the one oz ones are more than adequate. Remember, you are using them in camp. Do you really want 12oz (or even 6oz?) just to wear for maybe 1-2 hrs a day?

If you are looking for shoes to cross streams, then yes...you will need to take an extra pair of shoes that are more durable.

I just don't think special shoes are needed for stream crossing *IF* you are using lightweight footwear.

If you are using traditional boots, than perhaps you may want to bring an extra pair of shoes for stream crossings. Leather boots take forever to dry out.

FWIW, I don't take camp shoes or carry special shoes for stream crossings.

YMMV.

rafe
09-17-2008, 20:38
True on a nice weather day, but when the trail runners are soaked and/or muddy, it's nice to slip into something dry and let the hiking ones dry somewhere other than on your feet. :)

I suppose that's true. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with lots of deep mud in my trail runners. I do make it a point to have dry, clean clothes for camp, and that includes a pair of warm socks.

StubbleJumper
09-17-2008, 21:20
I never trust any post that states this. Everything weighs something, and it's the sum of all of that "featherweight" stuff that results in a heavy pack. Instead of people throwing out this worthless statement (many others do this, not just you StubbleJumper), please go get a scale and tell me how much they weigh!

Obviously everything has a weight. No point in my giving you a weight for my imitation Crocs because it's highly unlikely that you'll find the exact same Chinese crap. But, hey, why take my word for it? Just head off to your local cheapo store, be it one of the *Mart variety, Walgreens, whatever. My observation has been that the cheaper the imitation Croc, the lighter (and less durable...). "Weigh" them in your hand at the store, take a chance, buy a $5 pair of these things and then weigh them more precisely when you get home. It's a pretty low risk investment....:sun

coldspring
09-17-2008, 23:03
I'm going to get another cheapo pair of fake crocs and see how many holes I can drill in them!

Vagus
09-17-2008, 23:04
Personally, I'd leave the the camp shoes at home. It's just another item you can do without. Especially on a thru-hike. I switched from Asolo Flame GTX boots to Keen Arroyos and never looked back. What a difference it makes to be able to actually 'feel' the roots and rocks under your feet, no longer strangled in a stiff numbing boot. Your walking shoes becomes your camp shoes, and your feet (at least mine did) will thank you for it.

Homer&Marje
09-18-2008, 08:18
I'm going to get another cheapo pair of fake crocs and see how many holes I can drill in them!

Mens pair 10-11 could fit 63 1/4" holes on the bottom.

1" space in between rows of 7 1/4" holes spaced every 1/2" over the most "structurally sound" 9" of the bottom of the shoe.

Just a tape measure and a theory.

Obiwan
09-18-2008, 10:09
Like everything else, camp shoes are a trade off in weight for some (perceived) comfort

Both in camp and following a knee deep stream crossing

I read an account by a guy that almost turned back on a 4 pass loop trip because he lost his unsecured shoes on the first stream crossing....he should have listened to Mags:rolleyes:

He actually (no joke) borrowed shoes from a gal that was on her way out, saving him from completing the four passes in his camp shoes

Or going home early...which was obviously an option

HMMM

Anyone that has not covered their hiking shoes (and shins) in mud has never followed a bunch of horsepackers on a trail after 2 days of thunderstorms:D

When I do end up with wet shoes, I really like having the option of something to wear while they are drying

I am clumsy....I like some protection around camp ....I would hate to bang up my dogs on a midnight bathroom break

And having size 12 wheels, I am skeptical about finding anything truly liteweight that will allow more than basic mobility

mudcap
09-18-2008, 13:59
Same goes with me,my left ankle is a wimp,so heavy/tall boots for hiking. The first thing I do when I stop for the day is put on my Crocs. I have both real crocs and pseudo-crocs. I prefer the pseudo-crocs. They are Komodo brand,they have no holes just like my croc endeavors. About 1/3 the price and 12.60 oz compared to the real crocs at 14.01 oz @size 12. They are wider and the little nubs inside are smaller. Both factors I need after a day of hiking. The bottoms of my feet are very sensitive for some reason.

Mags
09-18-2008, 14:14
I read an account by a guy that almost turned back on a 4 pass loop trip because he lost his unsecured shoes on the first stream crossing....he should have listened to Mags:rolleyes:

He should have..along with many other experienced hikers who just get their shoes wet.

BTW..I did that 4 pass loop as a day hike (with the Geneva Lake option)..wet shoes and all. :)
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=12441

Lyle
09-18-2008, 14:21
Juts keep your trail runners on. Don't bother taking off your shoes for stream crossings. I find that taking shoes on and off for stream crossings is a PITA.

Tend to agree here. If you are looking at a relatively isolated stream crossing and want to continue to have somewhat dry feet. Just stop, remove your socks, wear your trail runners across the stream, then replace your socks on the other side. Your feet will stay relatively dry and your trail runners will dry out quickly. The socks will become quite damp, but usually not saturated.

Tenderheart
09-18-2008, 15:54
But last summer, halfway thru my hike, I ditched my Timberline boots and my Waldies at the same time... in favor of a pair of running shoes. No regrets! My feet were much happier.

Now that is some good advice. Listen and learn!

litefoot 2000

joshua5878
09-18-2008, 17:16
Which do you all feel would be the best bet for a secondary pair of walkers. Meaning double as camp shoes and say you got a blister or two, could be worn to walk in for a few miles. Can Crocs stand the ups and downs?? I am thruing in 2009 and was thinking of packing in a lightweight camp/walking shoe. Thanks..

mudcap
09-18-2008, 17:51
I can go for many miles in my Crocs,w/ a pack. Sometimes I start out the day with them,sometimes wear them the whole day if things do not get too rough.

Obiwan
09-18-2008, 18:13
All fine for those that like wet shoes...weird...but fine

Lord knows I have logged enough miles in wet shoes....but never on purpose

I see no conflict with being an experienced hiker AND enjoying dry feet

Like a buddy of mine that golfs philosophy...he will finish in the rain but never start in the rain.

I will deal with wet shoes if it happens but I am not inclined to do it on purpose

Good choice on adding Geneva lake to the 4pass loop

The North Fork Cutoff is my least favorite part

And I like counter clockwise best as well

I did the Grand Canyon (twice) rim to rim to rim as a dayhike...50 miles in 17 hours

But I used the bridge(both ways)...no reason to get my shoes wet if I didn't have to:rolleyes:

Homer&Marje
09-18-2008, 19:34
Which do you all feel would be the best bet for a secondary pair of walkers. Meaning double as camp shoes and say you got a blister or two, could be worn to walk in for a few miles. Can Crocs stand the ups and downs?? I am thruing in 2009 and was thinking of packing in a lightweight camp/walking shoe. Thanks..

I have not gone hiking with my knockoff crocs yet, but I find them so comfortable they have replaced my other sandals. I normally don't put anything on my feet when I get home from work, but they cushion my feet so well I feel obligated to just put them on... call me crazy...many people do:D

I think I could easily do a couple miles in them, depending on how my ankles felt.

mudcap
09-18-2008, 19:55
I have not gone hiking with my knockoff crocs yet, but I find them so comfortable they have replaced my other sandals. I normally don't put anything on my feet when I get home from work, but they cushion my feet so well I feel obligated to just put them on... call me crazy...many people do:D

I think I could easily do a couple miles in them, depending on how my ankles felt.

Thats funny Homer,I used to be a barefooter too. Now that I have found the Croc type footwear I put them on when I get home. They are just soooo comfortable. My wife just shakes her head,23 years of marriage and i decide to wear "sissy shoes*...especially with socks! Hey,they are cool in my book !

Homer&Marje
09-18-2008, 21:06
Thats funny Homer,I used to be a barefooter too. Now that I have found the Croc type footwear I put them on when I get home. They are just soooo comfortable. My wife just shakes her head,23 years of marriage and i decide to wear "sissy shoes*...especially with socks! Hey,they are cool in my book !

I went to the supermarket with them on today, and mind you I never liked them before I got them, think they are ugly as sin. She goes "Are you really wearing those to the supermarket"

All I could respond was " Oh, I forgot I had them on... they are comfy":D

mudcap
09-18-2008, 22:20
I went to the supermarket with them on today, and mind you I never liked them before I got them, think they are ugly as sin. She goes "Are you really wearing those to the supermarket"

All I could respond was " Oh, I forgot I had them on... they are comfy":D

You Go...I use the same strategy.:) I used to change when heading into town . Now I do not care what they think at all. Comfort first in my book. I am still much more handsome than MOST of them.:o That one might be a stretch.:confused:

Obiwan
09-19-2008, 10:10
At the end of the day, camp shoes are a personal choice to add some weight for some perceived value

For those that have decided they are worth it there is value in discussing the alternatives

Anyone that thinks they are not needed is really not adding to that dialogue...but it is a free country

My Crocs weigh about half what my tevas weigh....so for now they are my shoe of choice

Mags
09-19-2008, 16:39
At the end of the day, camp shoes are a personal choice to add some weight for some perceived value

Are we discussing CAMP shoes or river fording shoes?

Two very different beasts.

We seem to be mixing and matching the discussions here.

I'll just copy what I said for CAMP shoes vs. RIVER FORDING shoes:

If you are looking for CAMP SHOES, the one oz ones are more than adequate. Remember, you are using them in camp. Do you really want 12oz (or even 6oz?) just to wear for maybe 1-2 hrs a day?

If you are looking for shoes to cross streams, then yes...you will need to take an extra pair of shoes that are more durable.

I just don't think special shoes are needed for stream crossing *IF* you are using lightweight footwear.

If you are using traditional boots, than perhaps you may want to bring an extra pair of shoes for stream crossings. Leather boots take forever to dry out.

As an aside, I'll stand by my observation that most experienced long distance hikers do not bother with river fording shoes for crossing streams. Less than half I'd say use camp shoes. (Admittedly, quite a bit more than those who take off their shoes for fording rivers).
Does not mean one opinion is more valid than the other, but there is a big difference between backpacking on a weekend for camping and backpacking for the purpose of hiking.

If yo want cover distance, you'll probably find you just wade through streams.

If you are looking to camp more, then you'll probably won't mind carrying a pair of shoes for the occasional river ford.

I've done both types of trips. Both are fun. But both have me carrying different kind of gear. Just keep the idea of backpacking for camping vs. backpacking for hiking as you plan out your own gear

mudcap
09-19-2008, 20:54
Lightweight Camp Shoes

Wags
09-19-2008, 23:18
i prefer an open toe flip flop (not the one taht has the rubber go b/t your big and pointer toe). that way i can keep a pair of socks on if it's cold. crocs look as gay as elton john and are bulky. wearing trail runners around camp is weaksauce if my dogs are burning up after a hot day. agreed w/ those who just wear their shoes across creeks and change their socks on the other side

Panzer1
09-20-2008, 11:46
I think crocs are ugly. I'll never wear them, not ever. Although I don't dispute that they are comfortable, cheap and light weight.

Panzer

Crazy_Al
09-21-2008, 17:50
Crocs are BULKY.

strates
09-21-2008, 21:25
Just another observation on Croc weight: My knockoff crocs started off at 8.0 oz. Now, after cutting out all of the upper between the toe and the ankle, as well as the ankle straps, they are down to 6.9 oz.

sbennett
09-22-2008, 00:36
I just opt for trail runners that still feel good in camp...or an old pair of flip flops if I'm using boots

I think crocs are a bit bulky but I guess it doesn't matter if you just carabine to the outside of your pack