PDA

View Full Version : Work Gloves for Trail Maintainers?

earlylight
09-16-2008, 07:37
Any recommendations for where I should buy some good work gloves for trail maintenance or recommendations for what glove attributes I should be looking for. I want to avoid blisters. I'm taking a USFS course on crosscut saw next month and want to get more involved in this area.

Thx,

mikec
09-16-2008, 09:03
The USFS gave me a pair of leather gloves about 12 years ago while I was on a week long work trip to build the Massanutten Trail in VA. I still use them. Lamont makes a good leather glove. You can get them at most hardware store and farm supply stores.

Wise Old Owl
09-16-2008, 09:22
I am with mike on that one - leather from a good hardware store - with one exception, briars still get though the gloves, I keep a plasticated streach glove for them.

buz
09-16-2008, 09:26
If you want gloves that are soft and supple right out of the box, so to speak, I have had good luck with deerskin or goat hide gloves. Deerskin ones are the softest, and the shortest life, but really nice. Goat is soft and much longer wearing. To avoid blisters, with any glove initially, it is crucial they fit properly. Not too thick, not too big, and easy to bend your hand the way it needs to go, not fighting the material or glove design. In general, spending a little more money upfront will give you good results, like lots of things, lol.

MOWGLI
09-16-2008, 09:27
Leather. Don't scrimp.

Thanks for helping to maintain trails.

sasquatch2014
09-16-2008, 14:46
When I do where gloves which is only about half the time I just use the old soft yellow Lamont gloves. Well at least they were yellow when I began now they are all kinds of nasty. I just always found them comfortable enough and give enough protection. Learned to love these years ago building fence in WY. They can also double as a sock if your really in a bind.:D

leeki pole
09-16-2008, 15:31
Carhartts leather, with the velcro wrist strap are my favorites. I cut a lot of wood and haul brush on my back 40. They don't slip or slide around, tough as nails and come in sizes. About 20 bucks a pair and I can get two good years out of them if my dogs don't eat them when I'm not looking. I've found that if you put leather conditioner on them after work and let them dry they stay soft, and tough.

smokymtnsteve
09-16-2008, 17:28
leather cheap from home depot..that way when you lose them youget another pair

3 pairs for $5.98, also when they get dirty and stiff you have fresh pair..

one for painting another for using saw.

ki0eh
09-17-2008, 07:40
I tend to go cheap on gloves too, usually getting the reinforced front cotton back kind for general trail work. On wet days or areas I carry two and change when the first gets too mucked up.

For chain saw, though, I use these gloves that I saw at an ATC chainsaw training session: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=13030&catID=

WetBottom
09-17-2008, 07:46
I use these gloves for farm work. http://www.doversaddlery.com/ssg-rancher-gloves/p/X1-3962/cn/2045/ They are very comfortable, and have never let me down. Only downside was when I first bought them, they dyed my hands yellow!

smokymtnsteve
09-17-2008, 18:50
I tend to go cheap on gloves too, usually getting the reinforced front cotton back kind for general trail work. On wet days or areas I carry two and change when the first gets too mucked up.

For chain saw, though, I use these gloves that I saw at an ATC chainsaw training session: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=13030&catID=

I chainsaw barehanded...unless it is -20 F then I use insulated gloves from big rays;)

Tennessee Viking
09-18-2008, 00:20
I have your traditional cheap ones for the spring/summer. Because if you are anythign like me, they are going to get mucky and torn in one seasonk, or lost on trail. When I am out in winter, I have a set of winter work gloves I found at Target for about $12. My hands are nice and toasty when carrying a cold rock or log.

justinwp
09-21-2008, 18:37
just get some cheap ones that fit. if you end up doing any rock work you will go through gloves quick. when my crews do rock projects, gloves get eaten up in about one week. if you aren't doing anything with rocks, get something soft