PDA

View Full Version : Bear Shock

Frosty
09-16-2008, 14:41
http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm

Newb
09-16-2008, 15:11
Ummm..ok. what happens if you get up in the middle of the night to pee and forget the bearshock is there?

Also, I just don't believe that a full grown brown bear would let two d-cell batteries deter him from eating the a**hole who put a shock cord in his way. :)

I think the funny thing to do would be to put this around someone's tent while they're sleeping and watch the hilarity when they walk into it in the morning. Now that would be comedy.

maybeFritz
09-16-2008, 17:45
"Bear Shock

is not approved for food storage in the lower 48 states"

This sums it up for me...if I were worried about bears, I would consider myself at least as suseptable to/at risk from a bear as food is. After all, if my food was hanging, why would I need the fence?...and if my food was not hanging, it would be with me, and thus the fence would be "not approved"

Hmm...wonder if you can get a bear canister in shelter size...

greentick
09-16-2008, 18:01
how much is the claymore mine option?

Jason of the Woods
09-16-2008, 19:05
Do you really think a charging grizzly will even flinch? If so you deserve to be eaten and taken out of the gene pool!;)

rickb
09-16-2008, 19:40
The first testimonial was a good one (It mentioned the AT and thru hikers).

FWIW, I set up up something a bit more powerful to keep groud hogs out of my garden, and it worked pretty good.

I cant imagine a couple of D cells keeping my guy out, however. He was so determined I needed to add a traditional chicken wire fence to stop his forward momentum as he got zapped.

A bear is nothing more than a big woodchuck, right?

Newb
09-16-2008, 21:00
I'll just continue to paint honey on the first hiker to fall asleep. Seems to keep me safe.

fancyfeet
09-17-2008, 01:12
We used one of these on trail crew in the Smokies around our kitchen area. We still hung food bags & trash, but it's pretty near impossible to sanitize a kitchen area used by a dozen people. We had a table, stove, dishes, sump, dishpans, etc. that still held food odors or scraps. There was quite a bit of bear activity around - some of our cached gear and water bottles was taken or chewed up (bears like plastic) and our leader's tent fly was chewed and torn up. But never did that bear come into our kitchen. Oh no.

We did zap both of our leaders with that fence, though. Nothing fatal, but it will make you jump and yell! :eek:

kanga
09-17-2008, 08:39
umm, i would think this would just piss the bear off.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2008, 08:40
bear, schmear. bring a gun

Jason of the Woods
09-17-2008, 11:27
bear, schmear. bring a gun
Ya know, I have a CCDW and am yet to ever take a gun hiking. I do however take it with me any time that I go to a club, downtown, or jsut tooling around at night. Point being civilization is much more dangerous than any trail that I have ever walked, and that is a few!:D

WetBottom
09-17-2008, 11:37
It's baffling me that they want one to pay $300 for some hot tape and an electric fence charger. Am I missing something?

Footslogger
09-17-2008, 11:41
how much is the claymore mine option?
============================

Flashback ...1968. Setting up a night defensive perimeter was key. Course we weren't trying to keep the bears out back then.

'Slogger

Jason of the Woods
09-17-2008, 11:44
It's baffling me that they want one to pay $300 for some hot tape and an electric fence charger. Am I missing something?
And funny...:D

Ron Haven
09-17-2008, 22:07
There have been record numbers of bears saw in and around the Franklin,NC area.No problems of attacks but they are beautiful to look at.We have a local forum here and here is a link to a mother bear and 3 cubs.If you look through the photos you will see several more.
http://www.wncforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/49/ppuser/130

Jason of the Woods
09-18-2008, 07:46
There have been record numbers of bears saw in and around the Franklin,NC area.No problems of attacks but they are beautiful to look at.We have a local forum here and here is a link to a mother bear and 3 cubs.If you look through the photos you will see several more.
http://www.wncforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/49/ppuser/130
That's a great photo Ron! Where was it taken?

Marta
09-18-2008, 13:54
Terrific photo, Ron!

Fiddleback
09-19-2008, 09:20
Nope...it won't stop a black bear, much less a grizzly. But, I don't think that's the point.

Electric fences have been around for a long time and have a good history. My Lady uses it as an addition to the field fence (a relatively light, mesh wire fence) that surrounds the pasture. Neither the field fence nor the hot tape would serve to contain her horses if they were determined (or paniced). But under normal conditions, the hot tape keeps the horses (three of the largest in Missoula County) away from the fence itself. It's no different (although safer) than barbed wire...that stuff, although possibly stronger, won't contain cattle or horses either if they are determined or scared enough. Shoot...even elk break down barbed wire fences when they jump over...

Similarly, the field fence will not keep out a determined black bear (the griz are near but haven't visited our neighborhood that we know of). The fence is not strong enough to keep bears out...but it does 'guide' them away from the area. In fact, when neighbors call to tell us a bear is near they usually report that it's walking down the fence line. In these instances, the electric tape plays no role...the tape is higher off the ground than the bears are...:) We usually see bears every spring but only once have we seen one inside the pasture.

None the less, I think the electric fence would probably serve to steer a bear away. So too do most of those that keep bees here in this area...their hives are surrounded by electric fencing specifically to deter the bears. Electric fencing seems to work very well around the local apiaries and a similar 'flimsy' set up as that at the url, a single line of tape and fiberglass poles, is often used by My Lady as cross fencing. Those big ol' horses do not challenge it although they will test it. If they find the charge is off, they will go right through it...otherwise, they respect the hot tape (the llamas just crawl under the single line of tape and tease the horses from the other side:rolleyes:).

"Deter" is the word. "Stop" would be incorrect. We all know stories about bears going into tents, breaking into cars, invading cabins and, here in this area, breaking through an overhead garage door. Not much any of us is willing to transport into the wilderness will totally obstruct a bear...but an electric fence may indeed 'guide' it away assuming there's not something really enticing on the other side.

IMO.

One other point: In the advertisement at the url above the strongest language I found says, "...protect your camp from bears" and, "...helps provide safety and peace of mind..." It stops way short of saying, 'stops bears.'

FB

p.s. We never did figure out how the bear got inside the pasture...there was no bent/damaged fence to be found...it's possible he squeezed through a gate or underneath the fence. Likewise, I don't know how he got out. As we were watching the bear I saw one of those big horses charge out to 'take care of business'. The last I saw, as I was running out to stop the confrontation and probable vet visit, the horse had treed the bear. When I got through the barn and out into the pasture the bear was on the other side of the fence and through our neighbor's barbed wire section line several yards away. That's what I mean about a determined bear...it was a very big horse and a rather smallish black bear and he didn't want to visit any longer.:D

dessertrat
09-19-2008, 09:28
I think this thing would be very useful if camping in an area where there are a lot of problem bears, but not worth its weight in most places.

BobTheBuilder
09-19-2008, 09:39
I'll just continue to paint honey on the first hiker to fall asleep. Seems to keep me safe.

Now that's funny

ChinMusic
01-14-2009, 18:36
I think this thing would be very useful if camping in an area where there are a lot of problem bears, but not worth its weight in most places.
I am a part of a group flying into a remote area of Alaska (Jacksina Glacier) next August. We will all have bear canisters (stored AWAY from our tents), most will carry bear stray (I will), several will be packing heat (not me). Last year it took several warning shots to convince a moose to change his path towards them (they had no where to go), but they had no bear issues.

That said, we WILL be having the Bear Shock system with us to fence in our tenting areas. The way we look at it, it is just one more thing to try and keep things in our favor. And in the end, that is all you can ask of a product.....to put things in your favor. The standard of 100% is hard to find.

Gaiter
01-14-2009, 18:57
how about just not sleep w/ food in your tent? and if there is a bear around, sing it a song very loudly (99 bottles of beer on the wall is a personal favorite of mine) dance around, lift you trekking poles in the air banging them around, light a fire... all else fails, double check that your bear line is secure and go to sleep... http://web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07/In_Words/Entries/2007/9/29_The_Bear....html

4eyedbuzzard
01-14-2009, 18:59
...Last year it took several warning shots to convince a moose to change his path towards them (they had no where to go), but they had no bear issues...

In the southern appalachians, bears seem to be the biggest wildlife hazard for hikers (though boar seem to cause problems as well). But in the northeastern US, moose are actually probably a greater threat to hikers (and definitely to drivers) than bears. They're territorial and can be quite aggressive(cows as well as bulls), but especially with bulls in rut when many of the NOBO's are finishing up in ME. Suckers are big and not to be messed with, a moose can run you down and kick/stomp you to death in an instant.

Rockhound
01-14-2009, 19:51
So this will only shock bears right? Not hikers? This just seems way too gimicky to me. I compare it to the parachutes they tried to sell to people working in skyscrapers after 9-11. Opportunists preying on the fear of the masses. Hang your bag and you'll be find. No need to purchase the latest greatest new innovation that will prove to be completely useless and only add weight to your pack.

ChinMusic
01-14-2009, 19:58
So this will only shock bears right? Not hikers? This just seems way too gimicky to me.
Oh it would shock a hiker too. I wouldn't want to pee on it either, but I think the Myth Busters proved that wrong.

Gimicky? The science seems pretty solid to me. Bears examine with their noses and get zapped. They are disinclined to press the issue. Sorta like an electric fence keeping IN cattle. Neither the bear nor the cow is smart enough to just blow through.

I wouldn't use this in the east. I sleep with my food in the east. But this is Alaska, different beast....canisters, spray, guns, and yes, even an electric fence.

The weight is not an issue. Spread over 6 individuals it is near nothing.

mudhead
01-14-2009, 20:05
I am a part of a group flying into a remote area of Alaska (Jacksina Glacier) next August.

How will the bugs be on this trip?

Was reading about some research expedition in polar bear tundra. Fence, motion detector perimeter, small remote explosives, lots of firearms in large caliber.

Having seen footage of a bear on the stalk, I would say they didn't have enough of anything.

ChinMusic
01-14-2009, 20:42
How will the bugs be on this trip?

Was reading about some research expedition in polar bear tundra. Fence, motion detector perimeter, small remote explosives, lots of firearms in large caliber.

Having seen footage of a bear on the stalk, I would say they didn't have enough of anything.
I'm told the bug problem is "minimal". YMMV as they say.

I don't even own a gun. I am grateful that some of the other guys will have the "cover fire" should we need it. They needed it last year.

Will will be in Griz/Moose Central. We will be bush-planed into a remote area (2 at a time) in the middle of no where. We will have a pick-up site for 5 days later. We will have a sat phone for emer. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about this trip, but I guess that is a good thing, makes you feel "alive".

mudhead
01-15-2009, 13:30
I wonder who determines the "minimal." Buddy system for the trip?

Sounds fun.

JAK
01-15-2009, 13:37
http://www.wncforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/49/ppuser/130Uh, I think that's a polar bear, and just 2 cubs. :D

ChinMusic
01-15-2009, 13:37
I wonder who determines the "minimal." Buddy system for the trip?

Sounds fun.
There are six of us, all with decent backpacking experience (no one is going into this blind). Our "trip leader" has been on such a trip to Alaska.

I'm taking dang near 8 pounds of camera equipment (in a Sync pack) with me and tons of memory cards. I personally view this trip as a low-mile, photography trip, sorta like my last trip to Glacier.

mudhead
01-15-2009, 13:43
I am partial to moose pictures. Hint.

How something so goofy looking can be so graceful when making tracks...
All knees and nose.
Hope you have a fine expedition, and post a report.

Tinker
01-15-2009, 13:49
Uh, I think that's a polar bear, and just 2 cubs. :D

....and here I was thinking, "Is it just me???":jump
:rolleyes: