PDA

View Full Version : New study in the plastics debate.

Lyle
09-16-2008, 16:06
I still use plastic bottles, as I believe the hazards are probably overblown, but here is a new study, announced today, that seems to indicate a problem.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-09-16-bpa-heart_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Jest of the story in USA Today:

"For the first time, a large, population-based study links a chemical in plastic baby bottles to heart disease and diabetes in humans.

Some scientists say the study — released today to coincide with a Food and Drug Administration meeting (http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/08/briefing/2008-0038b1_01_00_index.htm)— shows that bisphenol A, or BPA, is too dangerous to allow in consumer products, especially those used by babies and pregnant women."

SloHiker
09-16-2008, 16:39
Is this the same FDA that botched (and continues to botch) tomatoes, peppers, and whatever else they import from Mexico ... from entering the US profanely contaminated with salmonella?

Just my personal view - when they (FDA) start taking care of the fundamental business of protecting us from stuff we KNOW will harm us - I'll listen to what they have to say about things that MIGHT harm us.

The Solemates
09-16-2008, 16:48
Is this the same FDA that botched (and continues to botch) tomatoes, peppers, and whatever else they import from Mexico ... from entering the US profanely contaminated with salmonella?

Just my personal view - when they (FDA) start taking care of the fundamental business of protecting us from stuff we KNOW will harm us - I'll listen to what they have to say about things that MIGHT harm us.

My company works closely with the FDA for getting our products out the door. I can say with surety that the FDA seems to be doing a fairly thorough job in their studies. 100% certainty in studies like this is unachievable, while even 95% certainty takes substantial time.

littlelaurel59
09-17-2008, 09:20

When one considers the millions of tons of food that move about this country on any given day- imports, exports, transcontinental trucking- it is absolutely amazing that the FDA sleuths can identify the cause, much less the source farm, of any of these food outbreaks. Especially when one considers the prevalence of isolated cases (not to mention preschool related outbreaks) of salmonella. Only the personal injury lawyers and naiive think that we can be totally protected from such things.

The science of BPA is unclear at this time. There are studies which differ in design and differ in conclusion. If one is uncomfortable with uncertainty, don't use the stuff.

rafe
09-17-2008, 09:34
The science of BPA is unclear at this time. There are studies which differ in design and differ in conclusion. If one is uncomfortable with uncertainty, don't use the stuff.

I don't think it's all that unclear. The industry-sponsored studies say it's safe, and those not sponsored by industry suggest otherwise. Guess which studies the FDA uses? :-?

weary
09-17-2008, 10:04

I think you have misread these posts. The FDA is saying the chemical is safe. Medical researchers say that taken together, these studies now provide more than enough evidence to err on the side of caution. John Peterson Myers, a BPA expert who wrote an accompanying editorial, says the FDA should enact a much stricter safety standard that would reduce the amount of BPA to which Americans could be exposed.

The new reseach makes it "impossible to say that BPA is safe," Myers says.

Weary

Dances with Mice
09-17-2008, 10:56
Just to be clear: BPA is found in polycarbonate, the hard plastic used for re-usable bottles like Nalgene. Polycarbonates have a "7" in the stamped recycle code on the product's bottom side.

It's not in recyclable disposable drink bottles made from polyester or polyethylene, recycle codes 1, 2 and 4 (2 and 4 cover two types of polyethylene).

It's also found in food can linings used for acidic vegetables like stewed or diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and canned fruits.