PDA

View Full Version : Walkin Jim Benefit Concert Nov. 8th for AT Museum

LarryL
09-16-2008, 17:01
FOREVER WILD: A CELEBRATION OF WILDERNESS

A Benefit Concert to Establish the Appalachian Trail Museum in Central PA.

One of America's most unique folksingers and backcountry travelers, Walkin' Jim Stoltz, on tour from the mountains of Montana, will bring his powerful multi-media show, Forever Wild, to the Carlisle Theatre, 40 West High Street, Carlisle, PA, on Saturday, November 8, 2008, at 7:30 p.m. The mix of stunning photography, stories, and music make this one-of-a-kind concert an inspiring journey into our nation’s last wilderness areas.

Walkin' Jim gets his name from the nearly 27,000 miles he has walked through the wild country of North America. Carrying a guitar and writing his songs along the way, his lyrics express a great love and respect for the Earth and the wild places he knows so well. Known for his powerful baritone and emotion-packed vocals, Stoltz’s Forever Wild show is much more than a concert. It combines live music and poetry with stunning, multi-image slides to create a stirring celebration of the natural world. Stoltz is a veteran of more than 30 years of performing. In this year’s show, he will be sharing songs and images of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, his Yellowstone to Yukon walk, the Utah canyon country, the Northern Rockies, and wild places all across America.

Walkin' Jim has toured extensively throughout the U.S. for the past 22 years. In 2006, he organized a 45-state outreach tour with other musicians and authors and worked with hundreds of community organizations to gain support for clean water, roadless lands, and wildlife. Jim has been presented with the Environmental Protection Agency's Outstanding Achievement Award for his sharing of nature and wilderness across America. Stoltz will have copies of his recent book “Walking with the Wild Wind” to sign at the event. His songs from nine different CDs get regular airplay on National Public Radio and will also be available. Visit his website at www.walkinjim.com (http://www.walkinjim.com/)

This event is sponsored by the Appalachian Trail Museum Society and is a fund-raiser to help establish the Appalachian Trail Museum, designated for Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Michaux State Forest, Cooke Township. Tickets for the concert will be available at the Carlisle Theatre Box Office (717-258-0666) for $12 in advance, $15 at the door, and $5 for children 12 and under or from representatives of the museum society. For more information, contact Larry Luxenberg at 845-708-5306

Tel. 845-708-5306
Email: [email protected]

LarryL
09-16-2008, 17:03
Poster for Concert.

Jack Tarlin
09-16-2008, 18:56
I bet this will be a great show and I'm sorry I can't attend.

But when was it decided that the A.T. Museum will be in Pine Grove?

Harpers Ferrry seemed to me like a better spot (after all, Pine Grove is sort of the middle of nowhere.....it's the nominal mid-way point of the Trail and that's about it, while hundreds of thousands of folks visit Harpers Ferry every year; the ATC's already based there; it's a big spot for thru and section hikers of the Trail, etc.)

So Larry, if you see this, please fill folks in.....

When was Pine Grove selected as the Museum site, and why?

This isn't meant to be disruptive or argumentative. I've been travelling for months and this is news to me. Just curious about the whys and wherefors.

max patch
09-16-2008, 20:41
But when was it decided that the A.T. Museum will be in Pine Grove?

Harpers Ferrry seemed to me like a better spot (after all, Pine Grove is sort of the middle of nowhere.....it's the nominal mid-way point of the Trail and that's about it, while hundreds of thousands of folks visit Harpers Ferry every year; the ATC's already based there; it's a big spot for thru and section hikers of the Trail, etc.)

Thats what the consultants report said also:

snip

"The natural, spiritual location of the museum is (and, we believe, its physical location should be) Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. This is the psychological halfway point of the trail. It is the home of the 37,000-member Appalachian Trail Conservancy, an important partner in any museum effort. It is the home to several divisions of the National Park Service. It is already a major tourist attraction, drawing over 300,000 visitors each year to its historic sites and natural beauty. The town of Harpers Ferry and the local Main Street Program are natural allies and would likely be supportive".

LarryL
10-06-2008, 11:19
Jack,

We haven't given up on Harpers Ferry but we haven't found suitable space there. The building in Pine Grove Furnace is right across from the store and is a beautiful 200 year old grist mill that is ideally suited to a museum. The building isn't definite but we'd like to get space there. As time goes on, we'd like to have exhibit space in more than one location and that definitely means Harpers Ferry.

Larry

Tinker
10-06-2008, 20:17
I saw Jim at the ALDHA in 2005.
He has a wonderful voice and is a talented songwriter.
My wife says we don't have the finances to drive that far the weekend after her birthday celebration at the Inn at Long Trail.

Anyone who can go should.