PDA

View Full Version : Data Book????

GeneralLee10
09-16-2008, 21:55
I would like to know if it is possible to plan a thru hike with the new Data book for this year. Will it help me plan my mail drops successfully and so forth. Is it really necessary to purches all the maps? My thinking is if the trail is marked good why buy maps and not just a book with detailed info on all stop points and mail drop spots. Please help if you can and if you do I Thank You very much!

Kirby
09-16-2008, 22:01
As far as drops go, pick up one of the three Thru hiking publications:
Appalachian Pages
Thru Hiker's Companion
Thru Hiker's Handbook.

Maps are essential for emergency reasons. Do a search and you will find numerous threads on maps.

Kirby

Lyle
09-16-2008, 22:03
What Kirby said.

fiddlehead
09-17-2008, 04:58
My last 2 thruhikes were planned with ONLY the data book.
It has the information you need.
Granted the other publications mentioned by Kirby will tell you where the pizza shops are and which towns have a bigger selection and things like that.
But the data book does tell you where you can buy food and where you cannot once you understand it's abbreviations and format.

As far as maps are concerned, you are right in your assumption but there's been lots of arguments on whiteblaze on this subject so you may want to search and read a few of them.
For me, it's the data book and a compass ONLY(so i know which way to leave a campsite in the morning basically)

Lyle
09-17-2008, 08:53
For me, it's the data book and a compass ONLY(so i know which way to leave a campsite in the morning basically)

Might get you in trouble. There are a couple of places where the NOBO trail actually runs S. or E. or W. Without a map you wouldn't realize that.

When you get near a shelter, guess you better look over your shoulder once in a while so that you can recognize the trail the next morning when you head the wrong way. :D

Grampie
09-17-2008, 09:05
I did my thru using the Data Book only. It has all the info you need. The companion has much more information in it. It's very helpfull when you are planning a town stop. Wingfoot's book, The Thru-Hikers Handbook, now has all the info. that's in the AT's Data Book so if I was doing it again I would only take that one.
I started out without maps. Looking at maps that other hikers had. I soon discovered how nice it was to have them. I probably carried a map for 2/3 of my hike.

bigcranky
09-17-2008, 11:15
The Databook is the bare minimum. Yes, you can use it to plan and execute a thru-hike. However, the Thru-Hikers Handbook and the Appalachian Pages provide information beyond just the mileage data, which can prove very helpful. For example, while the Databook would tell you that a grocery store is at the next road crossing, the others would provide its name, operating hours, and some idea of the selection. Not essential, but helpful.

Maps are the same way. Personally, I think they are essential, but other hikers could argue that point. But they do provide more useful information if you want it.

Blissful
09-17-2008, 11:52
Maps are a necessity, IMO. But not everyone takes them.

We also used both the companion and the handbook (they give good info on trail towns, resupply, options etc). I liked the companion myself, but it's a personal choice.

T-Bone1
09-17-2008, 12:30
Where do you get the maps from? I would like to have them before my hike next May. Thanks

Marta
09-17-2008, 12:53
You can order them as a set from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

IMO, the most useful combination of information is a guidebook (Companion, Wingfoot, or the Pages) and the maps. The little books for each state are more useful for section hikers than for thru-hikers.

T-Bone1
09-17-2008, 12:57
AH-HA. Thank you. Funny you say that becasue my plan is to section hike from Amicola to Franklin so I was looking at the Georgia-N.C maps. Thanks

Marta
09-17-2008, 13:25
I think you can get away with just two maps, then.

Grumpy
09-17-2008, 13:39
I would be interested to hear from anyone who carried the ATC Trail Guide books as they went. I am debating taking them because they seem a little heavy but also have good information. Thanks...

Grumpy
09-17-2008, 13:40
I am taking the MAPs which came with the Guide Books... sorry for the double post

GeneralLee10
09-17-2008, 14:06
My main concern is were to send all my resupplies not what kinda pizza shops there mite be. lol! I know what selfdiscipline means some don't I do thank you for the help once again.

Lone Wolf
09-17-2008, 14:12
I would like to know if it is possible to plan a thru hike with the new Data book for this year.

yes. totally possible

Jack Tarlin
09-17-2008, 14:23
Some good coments above.

Keep in mind that the book that several people mentioned, the Thru-Hiker's Handbook, is now edited and published by Bob McCaw, and not Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce. Along with the Thru-Hikers Companion, published by the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the Appalachian Long-Distance Hiker's Association as a joint venture, it is considered to be the most accurate of the Trail guides published annually. There are several of these guidebooks available, and they are all fairly similar in terms of format and content. Nearly all long-distance hikers on the A.T. make use of one (or more) of these books both in the planning stages of their hikes, and after they are out on the Trail. Which one you elect to use is a matter of personal preference.

As for a really quick answer to your question, it is, of course, possible to hike the Trail with just the A.T. Data Book, which is a remarkably informative little volume. Most folks, however, also enjoy using one of the Trail guidebooks as well, (while relatively few carry the ATC guidebooks on the Trail); and without wishing to initiate an argument, I'd have to say that most prudent people carry and use maps when in the backcountry, for all sorts of good reasons.

emerald
09-17-2008, 14:35

Might get you in trouble. There are a couple of places where the NOBO trail actually runs S. or E. or W. Without a map you wouldn't realize that.:D

It's a good thing he knows Port Clinton is E of Eagle's Nest Shelter. I visited with SOBO friends near there a few weeks ago who commented about hiking south into the setting sun.;)

Pedaling Fool
09-17-2008, 14:44
I would be interested to hear from anyone who carried the ATC Trail Guide books as they went. I am debating taking them because they seem a little heavy but also have good information. Thanks...
I'm not impressed with the guidebook of Maine, which comes with the mapset, unlike anyother state. A lot of info that is either redundant or completely useless; I don't know what the other states have in their guidebooks.

Jack Tarlin
09-17-2008, 14:48
I guess everyone has their own perspective. Personally, I think the present Maine Guidebook is by far the best of the guidebooks published by the ATC, and the Maine map set is without any question the best of any state, and other states and sections would do well to copy the Maine format.

But that's just me. :rolleyes:

bigcranky
09-17-2008, 19:12
My main concern is were to send all my resupplies not what kinda pizza shops there mite be. lol! I know what selfdiscipline means some don't I do thank you for the help once again.

I know what self discipline means. It means not burning the roof of my mouth on that very hot pizza. Discipline means letting it cool down for a minute or two first.

LOL

fiddlehead
09-17-2008, 23:39
It's a good thing he knows Port Clinton is E of Eagle's Nest Shelter. I visited with SOBO friends near there a few weeks ago who commented about hiking south into the setting sun.;)

I realize the trail goes NE/SW and not north/south. (and yes, near my home in PA, the trail goes pretty much straight East/West, luckily I've done that particular section at least 25 times since i'm 14 years old)

I simply put one of those little tiny compasses that go on my watchband and glance at it from time to time in the morning after leaving camp to make sure i am going the right way. Of course there are a few exceptions to the NE/SW rule but sometimes my memory even works and i don't have to check direction.

Also, sometimes i guess wrong and yes, have backtracked a time or two on the trail. Why is it that i love hiking so much but HATE when i have to backtrack?