PDA

View Full Version : Removing mold from Tents

stranger
09-17-2008, 03:27
Was just hoping someone could recommend a SAFE way of removing mold from your tent. I've never had this problem before but unfortunately I had one of my tents in storage and it now has mold on it. It's not bad, but I don't want it to get any worse!

Does anyone know of a safe product that will remove mold? Cheers.

fiddlehead
09-17-2008, 04:48
HOusehold bleach and water mixed and scrub.
When we hiked the Pyrenees in '99, it rained a lot and we got mold on our gear a few times. WE just went to the store, got some household bleach and made a mix up and scrubbed the tents and tyvek with a pot scrubber and got most of it off.

stranger
09-18-2008, 01:47
I know bleach will work but I've heard it will have lasting effects on the material and might harm it. I've also heard about lemon juice and water working. Did you have any ill effects from using the bleach method?

fiddlehead
09-18-2008, 02:38
We threw out the Tyvek after that trip (as i do on most of my long distance hikes)
The tent is still fine and i used it last year which is 8 years later. no lasting effects that i can see.

I think if you would have too concentrated of a solution, it would/could be harmful.
I would dilute it well and try it.
Haven't heard about the lemon juice but hey, google should know, aye?

Stir Fry
09-18-2008, 02:45
Was just hoping someone could recommend a SAFE way of removing mold from your tent. I've never had this problem before but unfortunately I had one of my tents in storage and it now has mold on it. It's not bad, but I don't want it to get any worse!

Does anyone know of a safe product that will remove mold? Cheers.
Try tiis sight goog information on tent care.
http://www.thecampingsource.com/item/Tent_Care_and_Cleaning/id/648/category.aspx

stranger
09-18-2008, 21:12
Cheers for the information

Hooch
09-18-2008, 21:17
I know the idea will sound insane, but it just might work. Why not call the manufacturer and ask them? It's their tent, they'll know what works and doesn't work.