PDA

View Full Version : Gearskin suggestions

attroll
03-14-2004, 20:06
I may be heading to see Jonathan at Moonbow this coming weekend and get fitted for a gearskin. So if anyone has any recommendations for me before this weekend please let me know.

From what I have read I do not want to get silnylon because of what Gravityman said in his review about the sweating issue. Also I need to make sure the load lifters are in the right spot for me.

Brian recommended earlier about getting a mesh pocket in the back. I like that idea and will probably get one of those. Any other options or recommendations are welcome. I do what to stay light though.

Here are the options on materials on the web site. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on this?

Coated Ripstop 1.9 oz per sq. yd.
200 denier Oxford 4 oz per sq. yd.
400 denier Pack cloth 8 oz per sq. yd.

brian
03-14-2004, 20:27
My 200d oxford gearskin with mesh pocket AND 2 hipbelts (and sized for me at 5'8" and 140lbs) weighs 22oz. I say go with the oxford; nice and durable BUT not too heavy. Even if you get the 1.9oz, they still put 4oz oxford on the bottom for durability. Also ask for 2 hipbelt pockets, they are so handy and you can get any size you want (I got the "standard large").

Have fun @ Jons...the road to his house is soo beautiful!

I may be heading to see Jonathan at Moonbow this coming weekend and get fitted for a gearskin. So if anyone has any recommendations for me before this weekend please let me know.

From what I have read I do not want to get silnylon because of what Gravityman said in his review about the sweating issue. Also I need to make sure the load lifters are in the right spot for me.

Brian recommended earlier about getting a mesh pocket in the back. I like that idea and will probably get one of those. Any other options or recommendations are welcome. I do what to stay light though.

Here are the options on materials on the web site. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on this?

Coated Ripstop 1.9 oz per sq. yd.
200 denier Oxford 4 oz per sq. yd.
400 denier Pack cloth 8 oz per sq. yd.

MedicineMan
03-14-2004, 23:10
Moonbow made the Mithril for Kiskill and I got the hip pocket option,,,you will love hip pockets for so many reasons, plus on the Mith and I'm sure the gearskin they are removable...
Dealing with Moonbow---i.e. Jonathan and Rhia is always a pleasure..professional in word and practice....I'm tempted to get a gearskin too but so far I have no reason to leave what I've got...but there is always temptation......

Something else to think about....get a NRS catalogue, dont think it is online, but they have a packframe that will get all the do-it-yourelfers out there thinking....it is a padded set up straps, hipbelt, and frame (with framesheet) I think that paddlers and rafters add a pack to, the pack you add can be either soft (drybag,large sack,whatever) or hardshell (plastic,aluminum,etc)...this pack frame looks good and is priced around 60$......

Currenly on packs I'm having recurring fantasies of returning to an external frame pack out of carbon fiber with a sil-nyl sack....the carbon fiber frame in my daydreams becomes a camp-chair, so pack and chair for under 1.5lbs....if anybody is already doing this let me know.

attroll
04-23-2004, 12:42
I finally received my gearskin. But I have a dilemma with my sleeping bag. I do not wish to do it the way Jonathan suggests. He say to put it in like a taco and put everything in the sleeping bag and fold it into the gearskin. But I am against that idea. I am trying to do as Brian does and put everything in individual bags. So that I basically have three or four bags in my gearskin. But the problem seems to be my sleeping bag. It is to bulky. The original stuff sack it goes in is short and to big in diameter. So that makes the pack very fat in the middle where I stick my sleeping bag and I can feel it when I have my pack on. I have a compression sack and it seems to help a little but it is still to big in diameter. So I was thinking of making a stuff sack for my sleeping bag that is smaller in diameter but a little longer. I was thinking maybe a 5” diameter and 13” long. Does anyone know of any other ways to get this to work? I am open to suggestions.

Another problem I noticed that the bottom part of the gearskin can only hold a small amount in order to use the bottom lashing strap. So for now I just put my small clothes bag on the bottom. I am interested in hearing how others have come to pack there gearskin?

Grimace
04-23-2004, 12:56
I hear what you're saying about the bottom section being narrow. I put my sleeping bag there anyway. I just lengthen the bottom straps a bit. I didn't notice my sleeping bag being too bulky, but you have the right idea INMO in getting a new stuff sack for it.

I found that the taller I made the Gearskin the more comfy it was. I've carried close to 50lbs with it as I had to carry 10 days of food and a bear can. My technique...

Lay Gearskin on ground, fold tent in thirds and lay on top. I have a Z-Rest and found I had to fold it so the creases go from head to toe or else it tended to slide down and bunch up as I walked. I folded Z rest in thirds and layed it on the tent. I then folded the gearskin over and clip the side lashing loosely. I stuffed in sleeping bag, then food bag, then clothes bag, then random other stuff bag. I then take my MSR Dromedary and stick it in between the stuff sacks and outside panel of gearskin. Tighten down the top straps and I'm good to go.

On an over night, I've played with criss crossing straps and stuff because I don't have the bulk to fill it. I've never been uncomfortable with it.