PDA

View Full Version : VA section of the AT points of interest or side trails

SASSA-FRAS
09-17-2008, 15:10
Hiking the AT between Front Royal and Damascus, are there any recommended side trips, blue blaze trails or other things of interest you can suggest? Please specify about what section of the trail you're talking about, like between XX Gap and XX Mountain. Someone suggested a section of the old AT approx 13 miles in south or central VA, but he couldn't remember where exactly, he was pretty sure it was blue blazed. He said it had 6-7 views and a little more difficult where the current AT has one view with the same miles and a little easier. I'm sorry, that's all he could remember, any ideas where this old section, might be?

I have a guide book, but I'm looking for those special spots not mentioned.

One thing I might mention, I have no desire to go bush whacking.

thanks in advance

southpaw95
09-17-2008, 16:04
There is a place called DEVIL'S MARBEL YARD and it is south of Bunea Vista and north of Troutville. ( I think ) Worth the side trip.

DO NOT PASS UP THE HOMEPLACE resturant in CATAWBA. PEROID.

Bryant Ridge Shelter is a nice structure, at least take a break there if you are not into the shelter scene.

There are also MANY side trails with a few nice waterfalls in Shenandoah NP. Plus ALOT of the views are on blue blaze trails there.

Hope this helps

SASSA-FRAS
09-17-2008, 16:15
Thanks Southpaw95, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Come on tell me more, I won't be on a time schedule, I'll have plenty of time to explore

wilconow
09-17-2008, 16:28
Crabtree Falls is just a little bit off the trail, south of the Priest

http://lh3.ggpht.com/jjs6791/R2YSwiqSHvI/AAAAAAAABdM/h05XKycZfZo/s800/p40.jp

Nicksaari
09-17-2008, 20:40
spend some time on the balds the trail crosses over on cold mtn and the grayson highlands, and any in between.

Blissful
09-17-2008, 20:45
Lots to see in Shenandoah as the AT there is fairly bland - Old Rag Mtn summit and White Oak Canyon waterfalls in the central section are good detours.

Agree - Crabtree Falls also a must.

f8lranger4x4
09-17-2008, 22:02
Catawba is the best

Tennessee Viking
09-18-2008, 01:01
Some of the that old AT is the Iron Mountian Trail in the Mount Rogers area. Its a long ridge walk and open to bikes in some parts.

rambunny
09-18-2008, 06:28
Anyone know about blue blazed or old AT routes near Atkins?

Lone Wolf
09-18-2008, 06:32
just the roadwalk that goes by your hostel

Alligator
09-18-2008, 07:30
I enjoyed the view from Spy Rock.

SASSA-FRAS
09-18-2008, 20:52
DO NOT PASS UP THE HOMEPLACE resturant in CATAWBA. PEROID.

:-? Please tell me why?

Walessp
09-18-2008, 20:57
Reported to have great food, not too far from the trail, and to be "hiker friendly".

fancyfeet
09-18-2008, 22:21
Sassa-fras, look into Virginia Creeper Trail just north of Damascus. Runs along on old railroad bed, bypassing the AT for about 10 miles. This may be what the person in your initial post was talking about. I haven't done it, so I can't tell you anything more about it. Sorry :(

Also, the Mau-Har trail is reported to be really nice. The Thru-Hikers Companion describes it as "traversing an area rich in waterfalls and good swimming holes". Runs from Maupin Field Shelter (2nd shelter south of SNP) to 3 miles south where it reconnects with the AT. Again, no experience with it, but lots of good reviews.

Walessp
09-18-2008, 22:47
Re the comments above on the Mau Har

Some nice (but generally small) water falls along this trail and it follows a small river through much of the section.

However, heading south along this trail, there are some taxing and extended climbs.

If it's a choice between this I'll do the main AT unless it's foggy. Much better views and an easier (though longer) trail over the 3 Ridges route. Again, if you're southbound, save your energy. You'll need it for the climb up to "The Priest" on the AT.

Outlaw

Blissful
09-18-2008, 23:02
:-? Please tell me why?

Homeplace - Great food, esp if you're a meat eater. And lots of it.

SASSA-FRAS
09-19-2008, 22:35
:eek: Well maybe IF I was a meatatarian, I'll check the Homeplace out anyway, maybe they will have pie, I love pie. :clap

C-Bass
09-20-2008, 12:28
The Homeplace is great you must get the bbq its very good

JERMM
09-20-2008, 15:02
The Homeplace is great you must get the bbq its very good

C-Bass, I think what Sassa-Fras was trying to say with a bit of humor is she's a vegetarian. I wonder if the Home Place has BBQ veggies? :rolleyes:

" Well maybe IF I was a meatatarian, I'll check the Homeplace out anyway, maybe they will have pie, I love pie.

johnnybgood
09-21-2008, 20:37
Hawksbill Summit (elevation 4050 ) has 360 degree of some of the most inspiring views in the Shenandoah National Park.

SASSA-FRAS
09-22-2008, 09:44
Thank you for all the input, I'll check out as many places as I can including the Homeplace, I'm sure I'll find veggies. My new Tarptent should be her today and the packing begins.

Roots
09-22-2008, 10:44
Thank you for all the input, I'll check out as many places as I can including the Homeplace, I'm sure I'll find veggies. My new Tarptent should be her today and the packing begins.

Hope you have a great trip!!!! Here's a helpful hint: Stay away from shelter dwelling, dr pepper loving, frito eating fools. They are liable to make you sleep places you don't want to. ;):D

SASSA-FRAS
09-22-2008, 19:07
Hope you have a great trip!!!! Here's a helpful hint: Stay away from shelter dwelling, dr pepper loving, frito eating fools. They are liable to make you sleep places you don't want to. ;):D

HA-HA-HA! This was explained to me this afternoon, by your Fritos eating friend. Those empty Dr Pepper cans make terrific little stoves. It's maker got a little fancy with this one. :banana Wish you could join us.

EarlyBird2007
09-22-2008, 19:32
That's one of my favorite sections of the AT. Two obvious highlights are McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs, both near Roanoke. Waynesboro, VA is perhaps my favorite trail town on the AT. Incredibly friendly folks there. The Ming Garden restaurant there is the bomb, AYCE Chinese and other great food. Pearisburg is another nice trail town, though fairly spread out.

Frau
09-22-2008, 21:49
Apple Orchard Falls. Hike down from Sunset Fields, just south of the Apple Orchard Mtn. Radar Station.

Frau

CrumbSnatcher
09-22-2008, 22:02
alot of the old road walks(brown blazing) that parallel the trail, could be a good time. alot of folks miss the trail rolling by their place. you can still faintly see the white blazes on telephone poles and such. i've hiked a few of these and have been invited to dinners,BBQ'S,offered beers and water. cool knowing earl or some of the old timers passed by these places.