PDA

View Full Version : Good turn or rescue?

Tin Man
09-17-2008, 20:26
One of the the pillars of scouting is to "do a good turn daily". Last Saturday, we camped near the AT in Kent, CT. Two AT hikers were lost after dark and were looking for directions, so naturally everyone said talk to him, meaning me. I pointed them on their way and told them what to expect. They didn't sound too happy that they would be walking on a road for a couple of miles along the Housatonic. Excuse me.

After they left, I commented, "do I get to extra credit for doing two good turns today?" The scoutmaster laughed and said I should get an award for my daring rescue of a couple on the river earlier in the day. I laughed and said, "I did what anyone would do and it was far from daring, no biggee".

This is what happened:

Utilizing the services of a local outfitter, we took the scouts rafting on the Housatonic. There was 20 of us in four rafts and my raft had three boys plus me. We passed a lot of people fishing and had a great time splashing each other and riding what passes for rapids at this time of year - very easy and a good training ride for the boys. About 3/4 of the way through our trip, we came across a couple standing in a small rapid with no fishing poles, but wearing life vests. When they started waving frantically, being the genius that I am, I surmised they weren't just saying, "hello". I steered our raft over to them and managed to haul them in before the river pushed us downstream. The lady was visibly shaken, but calmed down quickly and we enjoyed the rest of the ride together.

The scoutmaster suggested I should get an award and a write up in the paper. I keep laughing and saying, "no thanks, it was nothing really". And it was nothing. The thanks the couple repeated was plenty. But at the scout meeting last night the scoutmaster repeated that "the rescue" would be a great story for the paper and would help our recruiting efforts. What do you all think?

Lone Wolf
09-17-2008, 20:32
hardly a rescue. hardly noteworthy. hard to get lost on the AT. especially in CT. :rolleyes:

oops56
09-17-2008, 20:36
Yep it be good to put in the paper the boy scouts do a lot people should know that they don't just have a big camp fire and sing songs. I think you should got some kind of badge.:banana

Blissful
09-17-2008, 20:37
Great example of "being prepared!"' Well done. And why not? Send a press releases to news organizations and also yourlocal tv station. (we sent releases on our hike last year and got a great article in the paper) Nice P.R. for the Scouts too which seem to get beat up a lot on these days..at least at times on WB
You might also consider an article for the Boys Life magazine and Scouting magazine on being prepared to help others in need.

Tin Man
09-17-2008, 20:39
hardly a rescue. hardly noteworthy. hard to get lost on the AT. especially in CT. :rolleyes:

I agree. The scoutmaster is a likable guy, but he is easily excitable and won't let it go. But he probably will not contact the paper either, too much trouble.

Those boys were lost though if they thought our scout camp was the AT. I wanted to ask them what blazes they were following, because there are none leading to our campsite.

rafe
09-17-2008, 20:43
How did this couple come to be "standing in a small rapid... wearing life vests" ... and in distress? You say. "we enjoyed the rest of the ride together" so that really leaves me wondering what this couple was up to.

Tin Man
09-17-2008, 20:44
Yep it be good to put in the paper the boy scouts do a lot people should know that they don't just have a big camp fire and sing songs. I think you should got some kind of badge.:banana

We don't sing. Our boys are tone deaf and so are the adults. We do know how to make fires though. The boys made up some skits for the cub scout trip next month, very funny, but we need to re-tool them for younger ears.

No badges, thanks.

Tin Man
09-17-2008, 20:48
Great example of "being prepared!"' Well done. And why not? Send a press releases to news organizations and also yourlocal tv station. (we sent releases on our hike last year and got a great article in the paper) Nice P.R. for the Scouts too which seem to get beat up a lot on these days..at least at times on WB
You might also consider an article for the Boys Life magazine and Scouting magazine an being prepared to help others in need.

We submit three or four stories to our local paper every year, but it is mostly promoting our activities, not ourselves. I hardly think our story deserves and national recognition. It was not life of death. It was fairly simple really. We just gave a ride is all, like picking up a driver who ran out of gas.

WetBottom
09-17-2008, 20:49
I too am totally confused about the couple in the water part of the story.

But I'm also really tired... so maybe I'm not reading well for comprehension?

Anyway, sounds like you did a good job helping some folks out!

Tin Man
09-17-2008, 20:51
How did this couple come to be "standing in a small rapid... wearing life vests" ... and in distress? You say. "we enjoyed the rest of the ride together" so that really leaves me wondering what this couple was up to.

They were canoeing, got swamped and the canoe got away from them. They were using the same outfitter as us. I recognized them from the check-in desk. Nice folks, just didn't belong in a canoe on the river. The outfitter said they have 3 or 4 incidents like this per season. Nothing serious.

rafe
09-17-2008, 20:55
They were canoeing, got swamped and the canoe got away from them. They were using the same outfitter as us. I recognized them from the check-in desk. Nice folks, just didn't belong in a canoe on the river. The outfitter said they have 3 or 4 incidents like this per season. Nothing serious.

Thanks for the clarification. So what became of the lost canoe?

weary
09-17-2008, 21:06
Just do it. We are all entitled to 15 seconds of fame in our lives. This may be your only chance to cash in.

I've had a couple of chances. But I made the mistake of retiring 18 years ago, so no one remembers, any more. So I have to keep struggling for a second 15 seconds. That's not really my goal any more. But from time to time, I continue to get a second or two of fame. Every bit helps. Well, memories are short, I've found. I doubt if anyone will really start adding. But it is a comfortable feeling when one helps save a mountain, or a trail, or a bit of wild space. The protection is its own reward. Don't you think? It is for me, any way.

Weary www.matlt.org

Tin Man
09-17-2008, 21:08
Thanks for the clarification. So what became of the lost canoe?

We found it downstream on the banks of the river. Our "guide", who just joy-rided around on his one-man kayak, picked it up. The couple's digital camera was found safe and secure in a bag in the canoe. We think someone pulled the canoe, bag and one paddle out. The couple was charged $12 for the lost paddle.

Tin Man
09-17-2008, 21:16
Just do it. We are all entitled to 15 seconds of fame in our lives. This may be your only chance to cash in.

Thanks Weary and all for your thoughts here, but I don't want fame or any recognition really. Seriously, It was nothing but a good turn - a case of being at the right place at the right time, no trouble at all. Any one of you would have done the same. The trouble I am having is working up a story about the scout activities, including this little deed, without blowing this thing out of proportion. I want to encourage boys to join the troop for the right reasons, not to say, "hey look at us, we are heroes, you can be too". I hate that crap.

rafe
09-17-2008, 21:17
From what you've described, I'd say you acted like a mensch. If that qualifies for a writeup in the local news or Boy's Life... well, maybe that in itself says something about our life and times.

weary
09-17-2008, 21:48
...I hate that crap.
As do we all. But it is a fact that the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust is starting on the program of its life. If we succeed in protecting a corner of these threatened high peaks, there would be no stopping us.

Believe me. these are highly complicated political issues. Nothing gives one more credibility than success. I'm convinced that we are on the verge of a remarkable victory. All we need is a few thousand dollars to provide that sense (evidence) of credibility.

Weary www.matlt.org

Blissful
09-17-2008, 22:36
We submit three or four stories to our local paper every year, but it is mostly promoting our activities, not ourselves. I hardly think our story deserves and national recognition. It was not life of death. It was fairly simple really. We just gave a ride is all, like picking up a driver who ran out of gas.

You never know what could put a life in jeapardy. A wrong turn on the trail in the dead of night or an overturn canoe could have bad consequences. But it's up to you. Be nice to do a story of scouts and assistant scoutmasters helping others in need. Nice to promote that and not just activities. And its not recognition, it's teaching about helping others in need and also what Scouts can do in those circumstances to assist others (like losing your way and the importance of maps, compasses, helping in water rescue and proper water safety). Write the article as a lesson to the general public and to other Scouts with the incidents involved, and not a badge of honor.

OregonHiker
09-17-2008, 22:40
One of the the pillars of scouting is to "do a good turn daily". Last Saturday, we camped near the AT in Kent, CT. Two AT hikers were lost after dark and were looking for directions, so naturally everyone said talk to him, meaning me. I pointed them on their way and told them what to expect. They didn't sound too happy that they would be walking on a road for a couple of miles along the Housatonic. Excuse me.

After they left, I commented, "do I get to extra credit for doing two good turns today?" The scoutmaster laughed and said I should get an award for my daring rescue of a couple on the river earlier in the day. I laughed and said, "I did what anyone would do and it was far from daring, no biggee".

This is what happened:

Utilizing the services of a local outfitter, we took the scouts rafting on the Housatonic. There was 20 of us in four rafts and my raft had three boys plus me. We passed a lot of people fishing and had a great time splashing each other and riding what passes for rapids at this time of year - very easy and a good training ride for the boys. About 3/4 of the way through our trip, we came across a couple standing in a small rapid with no fishing poles, but wearing life vests. When they started waving frantically, being the genius that I am, I surmised they weren't just saying, "hello". I steered our raft over to them and managed to haul them in before the river pushed us downstream. The lady was visibly shaken, but calmed down quickly and we enjoyed the rest of the ride together.

The scoutmaster suggested I should get an award and a write up in the paper. I keep laughing and saying, "no thanks, it was nothing really". And it was nothing. The thanks the couple repeated was plenty. But at the scout meeting last night the scoutmaster repeated that "the rescue" would be a great story for the paper and would help our recruiting efforts. What do you all think?

I hope you didn't hurt yourself patting yourself on your back.

Really a non-event

Tin Man
09-17-2008, 23:18
I hope you didn't hurt yourself patting yourself on your back.

Really a non-event

Comprehension is always a problem for you. Or you choose to ignore the rest of the tread?

Pokey2006
09-17-2008, 23:28
It was a good turn. But, at least the way you've written it up here, is hardly newsworthy. Where's the drama? Where these people in the river actually in trouble, or just a little shaken up? I don't know, maybe there was drama -- maybe the scoutmaster would say it better. But if I got that as a press release, I'd toss it aside and probably forget about it.

No offense, because it really was a "good turn." I just don't see where there was a "rescue."

OregonHiker
09-18-2008, 00:00
Comprehension is always a problem for you. Or you choose to ignore the rest of the tread?

"peer review" says otherwise

Tin Man
09-18-2008, 06:39
It was a good turn. But, at least the way you've written it up here, is hardly newsworthy. Where's the drama? Where these people in the river actually in trouble, or just a little shaken up? I don't know, maybe there was drama -- maybe the scoutmaster would say it better. But if I got that as a press release, I'd toss it aside and probably forget about it.

No offense, because it really was a "good turn." I just don't see where there was a "rescue."

No drama, not even sure it was a "good turn", as I didn't go out of my way to help and I cannot imagine ignoring people who clearly needed assistance.

No press release is planned, just a summary article about our summer and fall trips, community service and MAYBE a brief a mention of assisting others.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-18-2008, 07:40

This is what happened:

Ok so you get the croix d'gerre with rotating beacon for doing what any semi responsible citizen over the age of 10 should know to do. BFD Obviously you want the recognition otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it

Tin Man
09-18-2008, 08:10
Ok so you get the croix d'gerre with rotating beacon for doing what any semi responsible citizen over the age of 10 should know to do. BFD Obviously you want the recognition otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it

I already said it was no big deal. I am looking for a balanced approach for presenting it without making it into a BFD. My test case here is an obvious failure if that's what people think. Thank you for your input.

rafe
09-18-2008, 08:13
I already said it was no big deal. I am looking for a balanced approach for presenting it without making it into a BFD. My test case here is an obvious failure if that's what people think. Thank you for your input.

The problem is, there's nothing much to present. I think that's the point that some of us are trying to make. You did the right thing. Give yourself an "attaboy" and move on.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-18-2008, 08:30
You are very welcome

Tin Man
09-18-2008, 08:39
The problem is, there's nothing much to present. I think that's the point that some of us are trying to make. You did the right thing. Give yourself an "attaboy" and move on.

Perhaps I could have been clearer... I am trying to come up with a balanced story to satisfy the scoutmaster's desire to promote scouting and our good deed without blowing it out of proportion, which the scoutmaster is making into a bigger deal than it is. I don't need no dang attaboy - I could care less.

Tin Man
09-18-2008, 08:41
Thanks for all the input. I will figure something out and if I need further input, I know where to go... not here. :)

Lone Wolf
09-18-2008, 08:52
I don't need no dang attaboy - I could care less.

then just drop it and do nothing. move on :rolleyes:

Marta
09-18-2008, 09:24
I don't see anything wrong with it being written up as a "Boy Scouts help stranded canoers." Not a dramatic rescue, but a warm, fuzzy, human-interest story.

WetBottom
09-18-2008, 09:30
I concur, Marta. Seems exactly like the little story blurbs I see in small town papers all the time.

What should be written up in the local papers?

jesse
09-18-2008, 10:06
If they wern't in immediated danger, no rescue, just a good turn.

buff_jeff
09-18-2008, 12:26
On the way back from class today I helped a biker who fell and got half his ear ripped off. Do I deserve a medal of honor? :rolleyes:

max patch
09-18-2008, 12:39
On the way back from class today I helped a biker who fell and got half his ear ripped off. Do I deserve a medal of honor? :rolleyes:

Yes. Send out a press release immediately.

Alligator
09-18-2008, 13:04
Just a reminder to Tin Man--you can close this thread yourself whenever you choose.

Tin Man
09-18-2008, 13:24
Just a reminder to Tin Man--you can close this thread yourself whenever you choose.

Thanks, I did not know that.

Tin Man
09-18-2008, 13:24
Y'all are jealous. :p

Thread closed.