PDA

View Full Version : Water Status Stecoah gap to Fontana Dam

l0ngterm
09-17-2008, 20:54
Heading out to do the section from Stecoah Gap to Fontana Dam this weekend. Anyone know how the water sources are? Running well enough to get a fairly clear bladder full and just use Aqua Mira or just puddles needing a filter?

Hike On!

l0ngterm

Tipi Walter
09-17-2008, 22:57
This is a good question. There used to be a spring at Brown Fork Gap shelter and another one right past the shelter on the trail about a quarter of a mile(on the right in a small gap).

Of course, Cable Gap shelter has a reliable spring but it too might be now dry. And isn't there a spring down off Cody Gap several hundred yards?? All my info is out of date.

gold bond
09-18-2008, 08:44
Tank up before you start! We did this section about 3 weeks ago course there has been some rain since then.Right before Cable Gap Shelter there was a good spot for water. You will see a little stream that you can't really get from but listen carefully and you will hear water coming off the rocks to your right. Cable Gap shelter had water but not alot. We had to dig out a spot to get some. There were a few little places but I can't remember exactly where. At Font Lake you can get from the restrooms. Good luck and happy hiking!

Roots
09-18-2008, 10:16
I would suggest calling Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn. They keep day to day updates so they can inform the hikers. 828-479-3677

gold bond
09-18-2008, 13:34
I would suggest calling Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn. They keep day to day updates so they can inform the hikers. 828-479-3677

Dang why didn't I think of that! When we were down there a couple of weeks ago Nancy said, "call me before you go to the Smokies and I'll help out with the status" Roots is the man!