PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Banjo Music

sasquatch2014
09-17-2008, 22:49
Yes that is Banjo music you may be hearing. We all joke about it but here is a link to so real life banjo music being played by none other than Tinker from here on WB. I grabbed this off YouTube I believe that it may have been Peanut that shot the video while on her Thru hike. You all can feel free to set me straight on the facts. It looked like you were all having a great time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcOjavXGAo8

enjoy it.

Lrg 50KR
09-19-2008, 06:41
That is Dueling Banjos playing..but the two guys in the video are not playing. Clearly obvious as the music keeps playing after they stop.

More importantly, neither the backpacker guitar or the other abomination, are not banjos.

Tinker
12-17-2008, 15:17
Oh, boy! Finally had some time to look at old posts. I had no idea I was being filmed.

Yes, that is me in the orange shirt, and the guitar is a typical inexpensive travel guitar made in Romania - and, yes, that is us playing. The camera has some video glitches.
Shot at Velvet Rocks shelter in NH.

Ron Haven
12-17-2008, 23:21
I will play the banjo some when I can in the evenings at the motels for north bounders.Seems hikers like it when I play the hen SKITT blues

catfishrivers
12-18-2008, 01:30
Was it difficult carrying those instruments? I want to carry something. Right now I have a bunch of music applications on my iPhone, that will at least let me play around on ideas when I have an off day in a hotel or hostel. But ideally, I would like to bring something like what is shown in the video. Was it difficult to carry and keep care of? What did you use to protect it from water damage/warping? Thanks, this is one of the things I have been really struggling with and would appreciate any helpful tidbittery,

Tinker
12-18-2008, 10:51
Was it difficult carrying those instruments? I want to carry something. Right now I have a bunch of music applications on my iPhone, that will at least let me play around on ideas when I have an off day in a hotel or hostel. But ideally, I would like to bring something like what is shown in the video. Was it difficult to carry and keep care of? What did you use to protect it from water damage/warping? Thanks, this is one of the things I have been really struggling with and would appreciate any helpful tidbittery,

catfishrivers,
I haven't carried my guitar for anything longer than a three day trip. When I did, I made a liner for the guitar bag from 6mil poly dropcloth which I taped together around the guitar, making the bottom of it long enough to roll up for a watertight seal. For the weekend in which the film was shot, I didn't have a liner in the gig bag but was lucky to get the guitar into the
Velvet Rocks Shelter just before a heavy thunderstorm that raged through half the night. The strings and tuning heads tend to scratch the inside of the gig bag (and the poly liner), so I don't know how long a liner would hold out. When I do carry the guitar, I carry it (in the case) upside down with the face of the guitar against my pack.
I've had this guitar for four years and it has not warped appreciably (but has never gotten more than a heavy dew on it while inside the plastic bag). A container that could possibly be used for a small travel guitar might be the bow dry bag with a roll closure from a sea kayak. I looked briefly at one time, but the prices put me off.
I'll post pics of my guitar when I find them in my Webshots site.

Tinker
12-18-2008, 10:58
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1253563662059664855oPfgzx

My guitar, new. If you get one, put the lightest strings on it that you can find. The neck has no truss rod, and may be prone to warping if the orig. strings are left on or med. to heavy strings are used. It does sound like a banjo, but it has much more sound volume than the Martin you see in the video, and the neck is much more playable. Besides that, it's much cheaper - important when damage and theft are more likely (when you're away from home on a journey).

Peanut
12-19-2008, 23:32
Yuppers, that was Tinker and, I think his name was Grizzly, but I'm not sure. Great memories...made me smile. :)