PDA

View Full Version : Loop trip 5 day trek in the high Country

Hombre
03-14-2004, 20:19
Sometime in early May I will be taking a loop hike starting at round bottom trailhead in the Smoky Mountains. Three shelters will be above 5000 ft. The first night stop is at Laurel gap shelter, second night Tricorner Knob, third night Pecks Corner and last night Enloe Creek then back to start at Round Bottom Trailhead. A 5 day trek in the high country. Distance is 29 Miles. First time hiker and need general information that will be helpfull taking this hike. Is hiking alone in this area safe? Bears, shelters, weather conditions, etc. Also, will be using tarptent cloudburst, Gregory G Pack, WM Alpinlite sleeping bag, Primus stove and Pro lite 4 pad.

What type of clothing, food, water fillter, etc is best to take along.? All advice will really be appreciated. Thanks.

Hombre:)

Chip
03-14-2004, 21:34
Hello Hombre,
Just in case you don't know Enloe Creek backcountry camp site is a rationed site (site #47 on GSMP map). Your will need to call 30 days in advance to reserve a spot. Call 865-436-1231 Backcountry Reservation Office, they will give you a reservation number for your permit.

At sundown the temp is going to drop so be prepared. Long pants, fleece jacket, wool hat will come in handy. Always hang your food along with anything that smells ! If a bear comes along at night it will be the "smell" that will clue them in that there is food ahead. Use the bear cables at the shelters and campsite to hang your food and/or gear. Most water filters are good. Don't know what you have. I use the Pur "Hiker".

Be prepared for some up hills and down as you hike this loop. 5 days for 29 miles should be okay for a first time. I have done 30 in 2 days but I live here and hike all the time. Just remember to go at your pace and enjoy. I take it that your going solo. Always let someone know your complete hiking plan. When ,where and your return time.

Best of Luck to you,(by the way my wife is a hoosier)
Chip :)

Hombre
03-15-2004, 11:11
Hello, ChipThank you for answering my questions. Any idea of a local shuttle service.? Also, some place to leave my car where it will be safe. Do you believe the shelters will be crowded in May.?

Hombre:sun

Chip
03-15-2004, 19:52
Hello Hombre,

You might ask the Ranger (when you call to reserve a spot in camp#47) about a shuttle service. I have always parked my car at the trail head and no problems (at my own risk). Most of the time there are a few cars at the same spot. You could leave your car at a Ranger station and maybe then catch a shuttle to the trail head. The shelters could be busy with Thru hikers. Rangers could give you some idea based on the number of permits that will be
issued.
:)
Chip

Hombre
03-16-2004, 15:49
Hello Hombre,

You might ask the Ranger (when you call to reserve a spot in camp#47) about a shuttle service. I have always parked my car at the trail head and no problems (at my own risk). Most of the time there are a few cars at the same spot. You could leave your car at a Ranger station and maybe then catch a shuttle to the trail head. The shelters could be busy with Thru hikers. Rangers could give you some idea based on the number of permits that will be
issued.
:)
Chip
Hello Chip: Thank you for the quick reply. I appreciate your suggestions. 5 days would be a long time to leave my car. The Ranger station is a good idea, provided its not to far away. Thanks for all your help.

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2004, 15:53
round bottom is not a safe place to leave your car...

Hombre
03-16-2004, 20:18
round bottom is not a safe place to leave your car...
Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions you might have about my trip regarding equipment or shuttle service would be appreciated. Also, any advice on the shelters where I will be staying?

Hombre:sun

smokymtnsteve
03-17-2004, 00:34
Sometime in early May I will be taking a loop hike starting at round bottom trailhead in the Smoky Mountains. Three shelters will be above 5000 ft. The first night stop is at Laurel gap shelter, second night Tricorner Knob, third night Pecks Corner and last night Enloe Creek then back to start at Round Bottom Trailhead. A 5 day trek in the high country. Distance is 29 Miles. First time hiker and need general information that will be helpfull taking this hike. Is hiking alone in this area safe? Bears, shelters, weather conditions, etc. Also, will be using tarptent cloudburst, Gregory G Pack, WM Alpinlite sleeping bag, Primus stove and Pro lite 4 pad.

What type of clothing, food, water fillter, etc is best to take along.? All advice will really be appreciated. Thanks.

being that your coming from indiana that round bottom trailhead is very isolated and a hard drive ...big cove road coming out of cherokee is a twisty curvy road and then you take the straight fork road (a beautiful drive) that is a good all weather road but unpaved. travel time from cherokee to round bottom vould be around 45 min..maybe longer if you get behind motorhome or travel trailer...big cove road is just full of commercial campgrounds and in early may could be real busy this time of year. this is when all the full time seasonal folks are moving in ...it's not the easist trail head to get to. and don't hang around big cove at night...

I used to live up off big cove road within a mile of straight fork.

now I love laurel gap shelter you rarely see anyone there... I have probably spent moe than a dozen nights there and have only seen people there one of those times,,,

the walk from there to tri-corner is very easy,(the climb out of round bottom to beech gap is anything but easy ,,,horse trail rough and steep)

I like tricorner lots do not great setting with good moonrises.

pecks corner is ok...remodeled nice shelter.

your next day down to enloe creek is well down..then some steep climbing up and down to round bottom....

the areas between round bottom and tricorner would be desserted...you may see noone...from tricorner to peaks would be busy and then down from pecks back to round bottom desserted.

you say this is your first hike and 5 days can be a while and some of your areas are very desserted.

have you thought of perhaps starting on the gatlinburg side ...less car travel time.

you could start at cheorokee orchard right outside of g'burg...go up rainbow falls trail spend the night at the mt leconte shelter take the boulevard and spend the next night at ICE H2O shelter then NOBO onthe AT to pecks, tri-corner NOBO AT to low gap and then out at cosby campground.

the myrtle will be blooming (or close to blooming ) at both myrtle point on le conte and then at charlies bunion.

being that this is your first hike might be better to stick to a little more traveled path.

for shuttle on the TN side

http://www.awalkinthewoods.com/pages/wd_shuttle.htm

or http://www.happyhiker.com/

Hombre
03-17-2004, 11:47
Hello: SmokyMtnSteve:

First class reply to my 5 day loop hike. I will take your advice and hike a more traveled trail. The one you described sounds great. However, after much thought this much hiking might be to much for the first hike. I'am 63 years old and in average shape. What about starting at Newfound Gap then to Icewater springs, Mount Le Counte and finish back at Cherokee orchard trail outside of Gatlinburg where you said to start.? This might be more realistic. Please describe the trail starting from Newfound Gap to Icewater springs then to Mount Le Counte and ending at Cherokee orchard trail. Also, need information abount clothing, food and Shelter for this hike. Trying to keep weight down to below twenty pounds. Gregory G Pack, tarptent clounburst, Therma Rest Pro Lite 4 pad and WM Sleeping bag total weight 7 pounds 9oz. What other gear is necessary.? I really do appreciate your information.

Hombre :)

smokymtnsteve
03-17-2004, 12:26
the 3 miles to ice h2o is good trail some climbing but well graded and heavily traveled. Ice H20 where I have worked as a caretaker is a nice remodled shelter, it will be busy, you will need a reservation, however this resevation will assure you of shelter space, just over a mile NOBO on the AT is charlies bunion.

the next day you would leave ice h20 and backtrack for .3 miles to the boulevard trail intersection , this is well marked , the hike on the boulevard is not overly tough, before the shelter at leconte is Myrtle point, a nice little side trip. again you will need a resevation for the shelter at leconte,

resevation can be made 30 days in advance and I suggest that you call exactly 30 days in advance to get the reservation ,,, the lodge at leconte is near the shelter and you will have company (and access to warm water)
and join in the sunset celebration at cliff tops with the folks from the lodge

Hombre
03-18-2004, 09:33
SmokyMtnSteve:

Thanks for all of your help.

smokymtnsteve
03-18-2004, 09:42
if you take this route you will spend each night in a shelter so will not need the tarttent..also some sort of h2o treatment is needed ..these areas are highly used and you should treat your water.

early may can still see snow .. be prepared for frezzing cold temps.

food storage cables are available at both shelter locations...let me know how your hike goes.

Hombre
03-21-2004, 15:38
Hello: SmokyMtnSteve

Western Mountain sleeping Bag 20 degree or 30 degree is best for that time of year.? Also, what type of system do you use for water purification.? I will be taking a 300 Fleece jacket and light wool sweater. Is this sufficient in early May.? Thank you for all of your help.

Hombre: :sun