PDA

View Full Version : North Shore Road

Chip
03-14-2004, 20:40
To My Fellow Hikers,
Maybe you have heard of the proposed "North Shore Road" project ? If not
the web site is www.NorthShoreRoad.info (http://www.NorthShoreRoad.info) . Please look it up. This proposed road will run thru the Smokies from just north of Bryson City, NC along or close to Fontanna Lake, 30 miles westward approximately 30 miles and link up
with the road that crosses the Fontana Dam ( & AT trail). In my humble opinion this will not be good for the Smokies, the effects on the enviroment, wildlife, and the AT. After you look up the web site and if you feel the same
way I do please write or (e-mail) to the National Park Service and express
your opinion. If roads can be built thru the Smokies then which National Park
will be next ? Yosemite ? Yellowstone ? Or maybe your favorite wilderness
area ?
Thanks for your time, :(
Chip

FatMan
03-14-2004, 22:04
Is this the completion of the Road to Nowhere?. This is my favorite park access. The area is remote and beautiful (as far as GSMNP goes). Completing the road would be awful. I went to the website and the reason for completion is a joke. Fulfilling an obligation to Swain County from the 40's is outrageous. This smells of nothing but politics. I will be emailing the Park Service with my outrage.:( Thanks for the post.

Chip
03-14-2004, 22:14
Yes, the "Road to Nowhere". If that road is built you will probably be able to it from the Shuckstack fire tower as it runs east for some miles. My understanding is that Swain County could get a settlement instead of the road. Some of the folks want that.

blairspangler
03-15-2004, 11:14
I too think that the road should not be completed. It has been 60 years already. One argument for those that want it completed is that there are some 25 odd cemetaries on the north shore that are incredibly difficult for them to visit their ancestors. Currently they have to ride a ferry across Fontana and then find there own way to the cemetaries on trails and paths that are too difficult for older folks. While I sympathize with these people, the ecological and environmental effects on the Park far outweigh other arguments in my opinion. One settlement proposal for Swain County is 40 or 50 million dollars. A lot more good can be done for the area with that money then to waste it on the completion of the "road to nowhere". Plus it will make this part of the park just like the rest with a huge line of traffic and way too many people. Some editorials in our local paper that support the road think that recreation centers and historical centers be built as well. GSMNP is already the most visited NP in the country and pollution is big and growing problem. Please fight the construction of the North Shore Road.

Brushy Sage
03-15-2004, 11:23
To My Fellow Hikers,
Maybe you have heard of the proposed "North Shore Road" project ?
After you look up the web site and if you feel the same
your opinion. :(
Chip

I sent my comments in favor of a monetary settlement. Thanks for posting this information.

Jaybird
03-15-2004, 11:32
To My Fellow Hikers,
Maybe you have heard of the proposed "North Shore Road" project ? If not
the web site is www.NorthShoreRoad.info (http://www.NorthShoreRoad.info) . Please look it up. This proposed road will run thru the Smokies from just north of Bryson City, NC along or close to Fontanna Lake, 30 miles westward approximately 30 miles and link up
with the road that crosses the Fontana Dam ( & AT trail). In my humble opinion this will not be good for the Smokies, the effects on the enviroment, wildlife, and the AT. After you look up the web site and if you feel the same
your opinion. If roads can be built thru the Smokies then which National Park
will be next ? Yosemite ? Yellowstone ? Or maybe your favorite wilderness
area ? :( Chip

Thanks Chip for this post...
& making us all aware of this project...some call "the road to nowhere"..or other less kinder phrases...hehehehe ;)
i notice by the website you posted, the project has been on-going (in one form or the other) for nearly 6 decades....there must be something seriously wrong with the plans...for a project to have this much time to complete or LOADS of opposition...don't u think?

the Smokies used to be called that..because of the fog that engulfed the tops of the beautiful mountain range....these days...its still the Smoky Mountains...but, because of smog, haze & general air pollution from the almost 10 million visitors to the GSMNP each year....the MOST visited park in the nation!
another road running thru the park wont help this problem!

smokymtnsteve
03-15-2004, 11:56
this has been a long running debate .... there are certain movers and shakers in bryson city that would love to see this road built...also connected with this is a proposal for another trans-mountain road.

this road would be worth a lot of money to industrial tourism in the bryson city area....so this is who is pushing for it.

there has also recently been a lot of second home developement inthe hwy 28 coridor...and the expansion of this once slow two lane road to a 4 lane from bryson city to almost Stecoah gap.

with the increased population in the area more pressure will come to build this 'scenic" road.

bigcat2
03-31-2004, 00:28
I am definitely not in favour of the road to nowhere being complete. I am a current resident of Swain Co., NC and I love the Smokies. As proud as I am to have the nations most visited park as my backyard, I also see the concerns w/ the air pollution and the damages it causes. It has been 60 years already! The numerous studies in the area show that a road being built would be devastating to all types of flaura and fawna (sp?) that inhabit the Smokies. I hike them all the time w/ blairspangler and enjoy all of it, rain, snow, wind, sun, etc. I agree that the money settlement could be put to greater use than the road. The Cheoah Skyway was suppose to help boost the local economy, and it's not done much. My feeling is that a "completed" road would have the same results. Thanks for the post and for listening and I will step away now.

Chip
03-31-2004, 19:04
Hello bigcat2,

Could not agree with you more about the road and about air pollution !! High ozone days here start in late April and go thru September. Those days are really hard on some hikers and anyone else trying to enjoy a beautiful sunny day.
Thanks for your comments. I hope Swain County gets the money, I too think it will be of greater value to the people.

:)

Chip
02-02-2005, 18:29
For those of you who are interested in the North Shore Road, Great Smokies NP
see www.northshoreroad.info (http://www.northshoreroad.info) for the latest schedule (spring 2005) for the public hearings. :)

zephyr1034
02-03-2005, 02:30
see www.northshoreroad.info (http://www.northshoreroad.info/) for the latest schedule (spring 2005) for the public hearings. :)================================================ =============
I have been to at least three of the public meetings concerning the North Shore Road. Each time, I've driven about 240 miles each way to attend, so you know how I feel. I plan to be at the meeting on Thursday, March 3, in Gatlinburg at the Glenstone Lodge on Airport Road. I wouldn't mind seeing some of you there. The meetings are also being held in other locations: Bryson City, Knoxville and Robbinsville, for three. The NPS website referenced above should give you the times and dates.

The idea of a second transmountain road was abandoned during the late sixties, thank God.

Chip
02-03-2005, 15:56
================================================== ===========
I have been to at least three of the public meetings concerning the North Shore Road. Each time, I've driven about 240 miles each way to attend, so you know how I feel. I plan to be at the meeting on Thursday, March 3, in Gatlinburg at the Glenstone Lodge on Airport Road. I wouldn't mind seeing some of you there. The meetings are also being held in other locations: Bryson City, Knoxville and Robbinsville, for three. The NPS website referenced above should give you the times and dates.

The idea of a second transmountain road was abandoned during the late sixties, thank God.
I will attend the meeting in Asheville. ;)

The Solemates
02-03-2005, 18:35
Ive been hearing about this my entire life, literally. Even though it is slow, I think it will eventually happen. The fact that it has been an issue so long and hasnt died out attests to that. Whether it will happen in 2010 or 2100, who knows. Of course Im opposed. Id cut out half the roads in America if it were possible. I think I'll move to Alaska. They have virtually no roads, and only 25% of the roads they have are paved.

Chip
02-05-2005, 11:31
Ive been hearing about this my entire life, literally. Even though it is slow, I think it will eventually happen. The fact that it has been an issue so long and hasnt died out attests to that. Whether it will happen in 2010 or 2100, who knows. Of course Im opposed. Id cut out half the roads in America if it were possible. I think I'll move to Alaska. They have virtually no roads, and only 25% of the roads they have are paved.
I really like your signature line "The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been". I too know what ya mean, Alaska would be a neat place to live. Anyhow the Great Smokies are a national treasure that a few good men decided to save for future generations. I have lived in Western North Carolina for the past 39 of my 50 years and it has been a privilege. I live so close to the Smokies and hike, backpack and flyfish there every chance I get. My hope is that the people in this region and also other parts of our country will realize the value of leaving our National Parks and Wilderness areas alone and honor the wishes from past generations so future generations will have the same opportunities that we have now. Another road thru the Smokies will only cut away from an already tiny area left for this national park in the eastern United States. Just like drilling for oil in Alaska makes no sense based on where most of the worlds oil is located. The human
race needs to look for alternatives. Why use up every resource we have just because it is there ? We are not the only creatures who live on this big blue planet. Life is short and should not be disposable.

I am glad that you are opposed to the "road to nowhere". Maybe you will get the chance to go to one of the meetings in Knoxville or Gatlinburg and voice your opinion. Your voice counts !! Not all is lost ! If it were there would be no Parks or Wilderness areas right now. These areas would have been long gone years ago. I would hate to think of our country without a GSMNP, Yellowstone, Everglades, Grand Canyon....... and so on... AND the Appalachian Trail.

Best Wishes and Happy Trails,
Chip :)

sourwood
02-05-2005, 12:56
I am glad to hear that people are planning to attend the meetings. There is a group of citizens in Swain County who have organized and are pushing for the cash settlement. They have asked to have as many opponents to the road as possible at the Bryson City meeting. They expect there to be a large turnout of supporters of the road project to be in attendance. The Western North Carolina Alliance ( a local environmental organization) is helping to organize a hike that same day to Forney Creek. For more info on the hike and background info on the North Shore Road, go to
www.sierraclub.org/greatsmokymountains/north_shore_rd.asp

Of course there is the political side to it all. The road project is being supported by Rep. Charles Taylor of Western North Carolina. NC's 2 senators have yet to take a stand. It sure wouldn't hurt to let them know how you feel about this issue.

Thanks for "listening".

Julie

TJ aka Teej
02-05-2005, 13:11
see www.northshoreroad.info (http://www.northshoreroad.info/) for the latest schedule (spring 2005) for the public hearings. :)
Thanks for bumping this thread back to life, Chip!

Chip
02-05-2005, 22:10
Thanks for the update Julie. Just received a letter today from the Appalachian Trail Conference in regards to the meeting being held Feb 22nd. There will be a hike early that afternoon (1pm) from where the road now ends. Is this the same hike you are aware of ? I am going to check out the ATC website and the Sierra Club site as well.

Thanks again,
Chip ;)

Chip
02-05-2005, 22:12
Yep, same hike, just checked it out. :)

bigcat2
02-06-2005, 15:42
I am planning on being at the Bryson City mtg, since it is where I live now. As I've stated before, Swain Co. could benefit more from a guarenteed cash settlement than from potential revenue from a damaging road.

Chip
02-06-2005, 17:14
I am planning on being at the Bryson City mtg, since it is where I live now. As I've stated before, Swain Co. could benefit more from a guarenteed cash settlement than from potential revenue from a damaging road.
I hope to attend both the Bryson City & Asheville meetings. Maybe I will see some fellow Whiteblazers there. ;)

bigcat2
02-22-2005, 00:48
This is just a reminder that the meeting concerning the North Shore Rd. is being held this Tuesday, Feb. 22 at the Performing Arts Center at Swain High in Bryson City. All of those who are concerned w/ this are encouraged to come out. Thanks again and lets keep the Smokies as they are.

Rain Man
07-07-2005, 13:41
I confess... I stole this message from the Georgia AT Club!

=============
The Western North Carolina Alliance is hosting a Camporee to show
opposition to the North Shore Road on July 22-24. It will be at the
Smoky Mountain Meadows Campground near Bryson City. Features are
hikes on the north shore of Fontana Lake supported by boat/ferry
service and a BBQ dinner Saturday night. The campround fee is $6 per
person per night, and the meal and launch costs are to be distributed
among participants. Registration is required. The contact for
information and registration is Ted Snyder at 864-638-3686
([email protected])

This may be the last opportunity to demonstrate opposition to the
North Shore Road, publicly on a large scale, before the draft
Environmental Impact Statement and the Great Smoky Mountain Park
Superintindent's recommendation is released in early fall.

sliderule
07-07-2005, 17:10
Fulfilling an obligation to Swain County from the 40's is outrageous. This smells of nothing but politics. What is outrageous is that the obligation from the 1940's has yet to be fulfilled. As I understand, the residents of Swain County are still paying off bonds that funded the road flooded by Fontana Lake. I can see no reasonable agrument for not compensating Swain County. It is the method of compensatioin that is subject to debate.

The Solemates
07-07-2005, 17:32
What is outrageous is that the obligation from the 1940's has yet to be fulfilled. As I understand, the residents of Swain County are still paying off bonds that funded the road flooded by Fontana Lake. I can see no reasonable agrument for not compensating Swain County. It is the method of compensatioin that is subject to debate.

if this is true, I agree with you. however, the "method of compensation," after over 65 years, could certainly be revised. not many people who have been there and paying that long anyways.

Scrunchy
07-07-2005, 19:44
if this is true, I agree with you. however, the "method of compensation," after over 65 years, could certainly be revised. not many people who have been there and paying that long anyways. Not sure that is true, lots of people native there and very vocal about it :confused:..but I would encourage everyone who is concerned with the North Shore Road implications to attend the Camporee. We will be hiking the areas the road would go through, and have an opportunity to see the consequences, and hopefully pool resourses to keep the pressure on Congress not to build that road.

bigcat2
07-08-2005, 08:21
As a lifetime Wester Carolinian and recent residence of Swain Co., I am in opposition of the road being built. My family has roots in Swain Co. and they were here when the agreement was first put in place. They are even in favour of not having the road paved. I agree that the county needs to be compensated in some fashion, and that is why I am in favour of the monetary settlement. The last figure I was told was $50 million was to be given to the county and that would be the end of any discussion on the matter. Hopefully we can pool our resources and our voices to stop the building of the road because it is just simply not reasonable to do so. The cost to build it is astronomical and the environmental impact would be devastating. I'll step off my soapbox now, but thanks for listening to my ramble.

sliderule
07-08-2005, 11:50
Has the proposal for the road been finalized? Earlier there were a number of options being considered. Has the list been narrowed down? I find it difficult to argue against "the road" without more specific details.

Rain Man
07-08-2005, 15:21
... My family has roots in Swain Co. and they were here when the agreement was first put in place....

Bigcat, do you know what "the agreement" says in the first place? I hear people say there was an agreement, but then we gloss over what it said. Are we just finessing past a very critical issue? What was the agreement and what already has been done in the intervening years in lieu of building that road? Have other roads been built through the county, for instance? Could THAT count as fulfilling any old, out-dated obligation?

If old, out-dated obligations are going to stand, how much are we willing to pay the Cherokee?

Rain:sunMann

sliderule
07-08-2005, 16:10
do you know what "the agreement" says in the first place?

If old, out-dated obligations are going to stand, how much are we willing to pay the Cherokee?

Rain:sunMann

You can read it here: http://www.northshoreroad.info/1943.htm
I don't believe that there is any legal basis for classifying the agreement as "out-dated."

The Solemates
07-11-2005, 09:44
The last figure I was told was $50 million was to be given to the county and that would be the end of any discussion on the matter.

that would certainly be a cheaper alternative over building the road, which would certainly cost more than $50 mil

Rain Man
07-11-2005, 12:47
that would certainly be a cheaper alternative over building the road, which would certainly cost more than $50 mil

And the money would go to the county and its people instead of simply to the self-serving road building industry.

Rain Man

Rain Man
07-11-2005, 12:52
I don't believe that there is any legal basis for classifying the agreement as "out-dated."

Laches? Staleness?

Waiver?

Substantive performance?

Off-setting performance?

To name a few potentials.

I say let's give 'em the money if we have to, then jack up their electricity rates from Fontana Dam to recoup our cost. They're wanting to have their cake and eat it too, apparently. Frankly, I'm not so sure this is the people of the county as much as it is a few self-serving industry and business special interests and their political hacks.

Rain Man

Scrunchy
07-11-2005, 14:16
North Shore Cemetery Association, North Shore Road Association and Rep. Charles Tayor are the big proponents. Interesting article at this web-site http://blogs.scripps.com/knx/hike/archives/2005/05/road_to_nowhere.shtml

hiker33
07-12-2005, 19:59
Great article, Scrunchy. Once again, though, the pro-road folks are emphasing access to the cemeteries as the reason for building the road. In actuality, the 1943 Agreement makes no mention of cemeteries. It is a matter of record that the families involved were given the opportunity to have the graves relocated at government expense. Those who declined were told at the time that future access would be very difficult. The actual purpose of the road in the 1943 Agreement was to replace the flooded-out highway and restore access to Bryson City from the west. This purpose was essentially fulfilled by the construction of NC 28 on the south side of the lake.

The park service is willing to run the ferry for the families as long as they want to visit. I hope common sense prevails and a cash settlement is made to Swain County. The money would benefit them much more that a road which would create more problems than it would solve and lead to many years of expensive mitigation of environmental problems that would be caused by construction.

sliderule
07-12-2005, 20:42
I am not a proponent of the road, but I don't really understand how it would wreak the environmental havoc that some are predicting. There are a number of other roads in the park that don't seem to have caused any remarkble level of environmental damage. The first seven miles of the "Road to Nowhere" doesn't seem to be problematic. So what is it about the Northshore Road that makes it different from any other park road, from an environmental perspective?

smokymtnsteve
07-12-2005, 21:20
Also there is talk about another trans-mtn. road.

sliderule
07-12-2005, 22:18
Perhaps. But it is not on the "official" list of options.

bigcat2
07-12-2005, 23:03
I am not a proponent of the road, but I don't really understand how it would wreak the environmental havoc that some are predicting. There are a number of other roads in the park that don't seem to have caused any remarkble level of environmental damage. The first seven miles of the "Road to Nowhere" doesn't seem to be problematic. So what is it about the Northshore Road that makes it different from any other park road, from an environmental perspective?

I went the the public meeting in Bryson this past winter and they explained fairly well how it would impact the environment. One, there are numerous creeks they would have to cross, which would have to be crossed w/ some sort of bridging system. As w/ US 441 now, it runs along the rivers and streams for the majority and it also has less water to worry about. That of course, is just my guess. I have no hard proof of that being why they did it. Also during the meeting they gave all the different types of flora and fauna that would be directly impacted. One was a rare type of salamander that of course lives in the water system that would have to be crossed. If memory serves me correctly, the cost of building the road from the end of the Road to Nowhere to Fontana would be over $100 million. Hope this helps some.

sliderule
07-12-2005, 23:47
No doubt the road would be an engineering feat. The bridge over Noland Creek near the end of the present road is certainly not a small one. And maybe the environmental "bar" has been raised in recent years. I'm sure it has been. Certainly, given the condition of the other roads in the Park, it could be argued that the Park Service does not need another road to maintain.

The Solemates
07-13-2005, 09:15
After viewing the map again, I just cannot imagine how this would help anyone logistically. All it is going to do is pollute the Smokies with more cars full of tourons.

FatMan
07-13-2005, 09:37
This area will always remain near and dear to me. Although it has been the better part of 10 years since I've been there, It is an area that I often hiked with my kids when they were very young (under 10). We had great nights on the Goldmine Loop, Forney Creek, and the Lakeshore Trail. Unlike other areas in GSMNP, you would rarely see a sole. There was a time when I dislocated my knee while rock hopping in Forney Creek and my young kids had to go up the trail alone to get help from some guys fishing who were kind enough boat us out. What a wonderfull place this is as the hiking is easy, the area remote, the swimming is great, and my kids just thought that tunnel was sooooo cooool (me too).

It would be a real shame if that road was continued along the north shore. Although it is not in my plans to return to the area any time soon, It would be a shame if other fathers were denied the same opportunity to share with their kids. The road would likely result in bringing tens of thousands to the area.

There is really no reason for the road other than to create a new gateway to the park. The park doesn't want it, its not about cemetarys, its about the almighty dollar. My guess is the folks in Bryson City and Fontana are chomping at the bit to get some of the dollars enyoyed by Cherokee and Gatlinburg.

bigcat2
07-13-2005, 09:49
Great post Fat Man. I have the same feeling of the areas you talked about, i.e. Goldmine Loop and Forney Creek. My thought that if the road is somehow built, it would not only increase the traffic in the area, but would also increase the vanalism. Any who've been to the tunnel have seen the "art" decorating the walls. ;) That is understandable though with the high school just down the road and it doesn't bother me since it isn't hurting anyone really. If though the road was to be built I could only imagine the increase in litter and graffiti (sp?) that could occure at the cemetaries. Hopefully the county would be satisfied with the monetary settlement and be done with the issue. I want to keep the area as much like it is as possible.

hiker33
07-13-2005, 14:07
The biggest problem is that the proposed road would require extensive cutting through rock called the Anakeesta Formation. Because of its mineral content this rock when exposed to weather produces heavy amounts of acidic drainage through leaching. This would cause the waterways (especially Lake Fontana) to become polluted with heavy metals such as lead, zinc and copper.

This rock when removed during construction requires special handling. It can't simply be dumped or used as fill material without taking appropriate steps to prevent leaching into surface runnoff or groundwater. This is expensive, and usually involves encapsulating the material when used as fill. In rock highway cuts a system of diversioning drains and dikes is necessary as these areas will weather more rapidly and thus accelerate the leaching process once they are exposed. Post-construction monitoring of surface and groundwater must be continued essentially forever and additional mitigating construction has to be done if higher levels of pollutants are detected.

The cost estimates I've seen for this road, if built as a primitive dirt lane, start at $150 million. This information helps to explain why. IMHO, a decision not to build this road should be a no-brainer.

Sly
07-13-2005, 14:29
I have three solutions

1) Monetary compensation
2) Relocate the graves
3) A trail, if there isn't one.

Anyone know how many families living in the area have relatives buried there?

I know people are different, but I'll probably never visit my brother or parents graves again. I don't see the point. Their "spirits" are probably no where near the gravesite. And if I want to talk to them, well, I just do, from wherever I am.

sliderule
07-13-2005, 19:44
I suspect the cemetery issue is not really much of an issue. It's good PR for the road proponents. It certainly is effective marketing to have elderly folk wanting to spend time with their departed ancestors and being unable to do so because of an uncaring guv'ment.

But visiting the dearly departed is not the only reason that folks need access. Some of these cemetaries still have vacancies. People are still being buried in the Great Smoky Mtn. National Park.

hiker33
07-14-2005, 10:21
You're right about the PR factor. It apparently first surfaced in the early 1980's during a prior effort to get the road funded. Previous to that no mention of cemetery access is to be found.

However, it's my understanding that the only people eligible for Park burial are those who were actually living on the land when it was acquired by the Park. Most are in now in their mid-to-late seventies so within a decade or two this issue will cease to exist. Ironically, if construction began today the road would not be completed within the lifetimes of most of these people.

I suspect the cemetery issue is not really much of an issue. It's good PR for the road proponents. It certainly is effective marketing to have elderly folk wanting to spend time with their departed ancestors and being unable to do so because of an uncaring guv'ment.

But visiting the dearly departed is not the only reason that folks need access. Some of these cemetaries still have vacancies. People are still being buried in the Great Smoky Mtn. National Park.

Chip
07-28-2005, 20:54
Glad to see this thread is still active. ;)

Max Power
12-08-2005, 01:58
I have been to campsite 90 twice and thought it was amazing. That area would be destroyed if a road went near it. There is a 90% chance that my wife and I will be moving to Fontana Village soon so I have become even more aware and interested in this issue. I have a website that contains a short video I recently put together that I filmed at Campsite 90. If you are interested just scroll down to "Road to Nowhere" and you will see the link.

http://ihikeat.blogspot.com

Max Power
01-04-2006, 23:31
More development today. Maybe not development, but information on this project. Visit here for more info.http://ihikeat.blogspot.com/

Sly
01-05-2006, 03:31
The actual purpose of the road in the 1943 Agreement was to replace the flooded-out highway and restore access to Bryson City from the west. This purpose was essentially fulfilled by the construction of NC 28 on the south side of the lake.

The park service is willing to run the ferry for the families as long as they want to visit. I hope common sense prevails and a cash settlement is made to Swain County.

If the above is true, I don't see why a cash settlement would be necessary, all obligations have been met.

Sly
01-05-2006, 03:45
More development today. Maybe not development, but information on this project. Visit here for more info.http://ihikeat.blogspot.com/

Dale Ditmanson, Great Smoky Superintendent would happen to be a Bush adminstration political appointee, would he?

Rain Man
01-05-2006, 16:08
If the above is true, I don't see why a cash settlement would be necessary, all obligations have been met.

BINGO!!! I'm with you, Sly! Not to mention a portion of the road was built and is in use.

Seems the spirit of the promise was kept and has been kept for decades, now some road contractor and politicians are grasping for an excuse to extort some money from the feds.

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
01-06-2006, 10:23
Dale Ditmanson, Great Smoky Superintendent would happen to be a Bush adminstration political appointee, would he?

While the Bush Adminstration is certainly succeeding in politicizing positions widely, I don't believe they've (yet) gotten as far as individual Park superintendents.

For the environmentally-oriented civil servant positions, their technique is something called "competitive sourcing" in which they're aspiring to replace permanent scientific staff with contractors. You know, it's the old conservative dictum that government shouldn't compete with the private sector, that the private sector always does a better job, ad infinitum. Of course, the real agenda is to remove dedicated career federal scientists who make those pesky conclusions about endangered species, global warming, and the need for biodiversity, replacing them with contractors who will do anything for a buck.

TIDE-HSV
05-24-2006, 12:20
to be late to the thread, but I think I might add a little. The cemetary issue flared up in the '79/'80 time frame, but the main issue at that time was the switch from motorized vehicles on the Hazel Creek trail to mules. The people who wanted to visit raised hell and it it the national media. They made it sound as if they couldn't visit the graves at all, when they had just been slowed down a bit (with, they thought, a less dignified transport). CBS had a "talk-back" program on Sunday nights called "Your Turn." I wrote a letter to CBS pointing out the discrepancy and got invited to appear on the show. They first interviewed me on the Ocoee in kayaking gear, but something spoiled their tape, so they flew into Huntsville and interviewed me in my backyard. I only lived in that house from '76 until '83, so that had to be when all the flap happened.