PDA

View Full Version : Distance?

trader2
09-18-2008, 14:24
I've already dont one small section of the AT. I'm looking into doing another section sometime this fall, or next spring. I'm going to try and do from Springer Mtn. to Stecoah gap...or in that area....i hiked the Smokies last summer, and want to end up near where i stopped.

What is the distance between those two points....how long should it take.....and what's the difficulty level?

Thanks

rafe
09-18-2008, 14:49
Download the free PDF guides at www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org/). The answers are there. IIRC, it's about two weeks of hiking for the "average" hiker.

For a measure of the relative difficulty, see MapMan's vertical-elevation tables here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31293). Georgia is no pushover. According to MapMan's data, Neels Gap - Hiawassee is the toughest (short) section in the southern half of the AT.

max patch
09-18-2008, 14:50
Springer to Stecoah Gap is 148 miles.

On a difficulty scale of 1-10, the ATC rates GA a 6 and NC a 3-6.

I don't know anything about you so I'm not going to guess how long it will take.

HikerRanky
09-18-2008, 14:55
I've already dont one small section of the AT. I'm looking into doing another section sometime this fall, or next spring. I'm going to try and do from Springer Mtn. to Stecoah gap...or in that area....i hiked the Smokies last summer, and want to end up near where i stopped.

What is the distance between those two points....how long should it take.....and what's the difficulty level?

Thanks

From Springer Mountain to Stecoah Gap is 148 miles..... at 10mpd, that would be 15 days...

GA is known for a lot of ups and downs..... I don't have my maps and such with me right now, but plan on a decent amount of elevation change.....

Randy

Blissful
09-18-2008, 19:53
The 30 mile Stecoah range should be an eight...though I suppose if you compare it to NH or southern ME a 6 would be right.

In fact, I thought NC fairly hard in many places. My knees hated it.